[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>you will never live in the Colorado Rockies being 100% self
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: ISlicwueiaphe00000000000.jpg (229 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
ISlicwueiaphe00000000000.jpg
229 KB, 1024x683
>you will never live in the Colorado Rockies being 100% self sufficient energy wise and only needing to occasionally leave your haven to buy bulk food at Costco
>now having enough land to grow veggies and marijuana
>not hunting big Elk and Bear giving you enough meat for months in a single hunting trip
>not living like a man

Why even live family? It's my dream to buy a house with 20+ acres of land in the Rocky Mountains. Why the fuck can't they be cheap like houses here in Texas? I don't want to fucking live here but everywhere else is so fucking expensive.
>>
>Family has lands in the Scottish Highlands

I am the luckiest. Soon I will be living the hermit life.
>>
>>713693
>Why the fuck can't they be cheap like houses here in Texas
Because they are actually desirable places to live unlike Texas.

But seriously, too many people in this country now and they all want the American Dream: house, land, 2.2 kids, and all that jazz. The dream is (or will be) over soon. It will just be unaffordable for most people.

I watched it happen where I grew up in the Midwest. Land prices have increased so much that the only people that can afford to buy are rich liberals from San Francisco and iinvestor with Chinese backers. And since the price is high, the land is becoming more fragmented as the baby boomers inherit properties and then attempt to cash out by selling off small portions - 5 acres, 10 acres (which are essentially useless sizes for most people by the way).

Its likely I will never be able to afford property where I grew up. And from what I can tell, that's happening everywhere. Something's gotta give eventually.
>>
>>713693
Meh. I live in Texas and I do that already. I'd love to live in colorado for the weed thing, but I feel like we might get at least some reform in that area in the next 10 years.
>>
File: 1456346618288s.jpg (7 KB, 250x187) Image search: [Google]
1456346618288s.jpg
7 KB, 250x187
>>713693
Montana is just as good if not better. I live in Colorado and my step dad is a hunting guide so he hunts almost 6 months a year. Its hard as fuck to draw good game now and the influx of faggots coming from the east and west just to smoke is ruining our market. Not to mention pissing me off. Nigs are much more common now, hopefully they will leave soon now that rent is outrageous.
>>
>>713941
Buy a house before weeds legal there, that way when the niggers from the east come you can charge them double for rent, implying you would rent to them.
>>
>>713693
The gun laws are getting kinda shitty here as well. The state is becoming another California which I never thought would happen.
>>
I think that to most of us, people who love outdoors, your dream is something that big part of us share with you.

The ability to be independent from the rest of society is trully magic, that does not means you have to hate society though, but being away and relying mostly in yourself to live how you want is liberator.

>>713695
Godspeed anon

>>713984
Fuck, outsiders ruining shit for everybody is disgusting.

>>713988
Bleeding heart liberals have the divining to do that
>>
>>713984
Is Montana really that good? I'm getting so sick and tired of all these Califorians, Texans, and New Yorkers moving in and I'm debating moving to a different state to escape them.
>>
File: 1457380267206.jpg (12 KB, 355x283) Image search: [Google]
1457380267206.jpg
12 KB, 355x283
>>714076
>im getting sick of people moving in from out of state
>so i want to become one of them by moving to another state
>>
Colorado is fine as long as you stay far from the big cities.

>>714076

Idaho is pretty masterrace for /out/ as well. Can still live in the Rockies and it's one of the cheapest states in the country to live. It's more of a retirees paradise though as the job market isn't all that great.
>>
>>714076
>>714161
How the fuck do you move to a place like Montana, Idaho, Northern New Mexico, ect. ect.

I am almost finished with a business degree and I live in Chicago. I look at jobs out there all the time, and it doesn't look like there's much of anything. Are these mountainous places just reserved for extremely educated people with incredible resumes?
>>
>>714177
More population = more jobs.

If you have a particular skill and you want to live in a town of 50,000 people, there will be a lot less openings than in a town of 3,000,000.

I recently moved from Chicago to Milwaukee. It would blow my mind how much slower the job market was in mke compared to chi. Months would go by where i wouldnt see a job posting relevant to my skills (banking lawyer). I had to sit tight and after about 8 months something worked out.

If youre going somewhere even smaller it could take even longer. Start networking. Take trips to where you want to live, to experience it and meet people.
>>
>>714177
>Are these mountainous places just reserved for extremely educated people with incredible resumes?

Everywhere you go there will always be local governments, hospitals / clinics, utility companies, etc that all require employees with education/training backgrounds ranging from minimal experience to post-grad degrees. A business degree isn't really in demand in these rural areas, you would've been better off going into the medical field (doctor, nurse, lab tech, radiological tech, etc.) or possibly an engineering degree depending on what kind of industry can be found in the area. Or you can always use the knowledge you gained from business school to open a small business in an area that you want to live in. My uncle has a business degree and he owns/runs a hardware store in a small-ish town (~15k people) in a rural area.
>>
>>714200

This. Most of the "rich" people I know which large land and estates in the mountains are doctors, not software developers, engineers, finance professionals, etc.
>>
>>714191
>>714200
Very interesting. I don't think I am intelligent enough to get a medical/engineering degree. I had to work my ass off just to get through accounting and statistics in my business degree, so this is probably as good as it gets for me.

I am a web designer and I have taken a few private contracts as well as done projects for big corporations. I am also a somewhat accomplished classical guitarist.

I was trying to figure out if maybe I could teach classical guitar lessons and do something with web design out west. My close friend is a cello teacher out in a mountain town, but I don't think he could get by without room mates.
>>
>>714222
I'd also like to add that I have been sending out resumes to Wyoming. I've tried Cheyenne, Laramie, and recently applied to Cody and Powell. Does anybody know anything about these places?

I highly romanticize Wyoming because of how desolate it is, it also kinda looks like Scotland to me. Seems like a good place to own a ton of guns, hike desolate mountain areas, and not have to deal with all of the shit in the cities.
>>
>>714222
Well, even small local businesses are expected to have a functional and up-to-date website these days, so you might be able to make that work for you. I'm sure you'd be able to find some kids to give guitar lessons to as well but I don't think you'd be able to make a living solely doing that.
>>
>>714226
Yeah I don't think so either. The problem with web design in a small town is that once people have a website, they don't need another website for like 6 years. So that would probably be pretty slow.

Here in Chicago, there are a few guitar teachers that have like 70 students and make a fortune. That's probably not how it goes out in those rural areas, I don't even know if parents would spend money for kids to learn music in places like that (since there probably isn't much you can do with it out there).
>>
>>714228
I mean, I grew up in a small-ish town and I know people who paid for piano and guitar lessons for their kids. Like you said, you're not gonna end up with 70 students and make a fortune but you could probably get a handful of students and make some extra money that way.

>The problem with web design in a small town is that once people have a website, they don't need another website for like 6 years. So that would probably be pretty slow.

Best bet would be to try and do some off-site contract work or find a regular paying gig where you could do all your web dev work remotely. I'm not sure how common that is though.
>>
>>713984
SHUT THE FUCK UP. Montana is a 2/15 state at best. Trust me. :^)
>>
>>714076
Its not. :^) pls go home
>>
>>713693
Currently saving to do exactly this. I've been looking at land out near Buena Vista. I'm only looking for 10 acres though. Someday...
>>
>>714222
Find a company with a liberal remote work policy and spend a few years making yourself valuable to them. Most jobs can be done anywhere with an internet connection and a phone, you just have to find someone willing to let you do it. I was at a point with my law firm where i could have worked out a remote situation and lived anywhere, but the people i had to deal with were so toxic that i had to cut all ties.

Find a gig with the right place and make it so they cant afford to lose you. Tell your boss over a beer about your dream of living in the mountains and offer to fly in for meetings. As years go by this sort of arrangement is going to become more and more common.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.