[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys, Putting together a survival pack, about enough for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: 1455074843207.jpg (101 KB, 958x1061) Image search: [Google]
1455074843207.jpg
101 KB, 958x1061
Hey guys,
Putting together a survival pack, about enough for 5-6 days. What are some suggestions for materials?
>>
http://blog.selfrelianceoutfitters.com/dave-canterburys-10-cs-of-survival/
>>
>>707021
Much thanks
>>
I'm not going to name a full list for you because you can Google that but here's what I recommend.

Don't be lazy when setting up camp. Bears are very dangerous. Just because you haven't seen one doesn't mean they aren't nearby. Hand your shit up high on a tree branch. Pick up all your trash. Leaving it in the fire pit before you leave is lazy and stupid.

Wear Nylon underwear, shirts, and pants. Wear a thin pair of dress socks under your hiking socks to prevent blisters. Bring a pair of sandals or crocs to wear at camp to let your feet breathe or for crossing small streams. Bring an extra pair of socks and underwear for each day, and a backup pair of pants and shirt to wear while your other is drying after being washed or get's torn/damaged. I used to only pack socks and underwear until one trip my button broke off of my pants and I couldn't find it in the leaves. Was a shitty hike afterwards.

Pack a little bit more food than you think. You never know how hungry a hard hike may make you feel or may run into somebody needing food. Also, don't waste your money on MREs or expensive Mountain House shit. You're either going to get constipated or diarrhea. Just pack some smoked meat, trail mix, homemade protein/breakfast bars, etc. And bring some of those powdered Gatorade packets for your water.

For comfort, bring anti-chafe balm, lip balm, bug spray, itch cream, sun screen, sun glasses, mouthwash, toothbrush, dental floss, etc.

For fun, I always bring a cheap MP3 player that runs off of AA batteries, a handheld solitaire game, and a book.
>>
>>707069
>Nylon
wool is superior lads

but some synthetic fabrics aren't too bad, golden rule is to avoid cotton
>>
>>707075

Nylon breathes better for me and dries quicker. I will bring wool "long johns" in the Winter though. But my wool clothing has lasted a lot longer than my Nylon sports shirts.
>>
>>707020
>suggestions
a leash for your pooch
Or pepper spray if that's not your pooch and you need to keep strays away.
>>
>>707079
This. Just because your dog is "trained" doesn't mean others want it coming around them.
>>
>>707079
How about you shove it up your ass instead

>>707085
And stop being such a fucking pussy. Afraid of a fucking golden retriever? Really? Are you 5, you fucking faggot?
>>
>>707075
i love cotton int the summer tho.
you soak it in water it's like your personal air conditioner.
>>
>>707183
>And stop being such a fucking pussy. Afraid of a fucking golden retriever? Really? Are you 5, you fucking faggot?
i think this is the guy that started the other thread about dogs and was admitting to hitting them then complaining about being bit 3 times.
>>
>>707183
keep your fucking dog away from other people you fuckin afterbirth. if your lousy fucking mutt came running towards me id fuckin put a shot between its eyes just to teach you a lesson you piece of shit
>>
>>707183
>How about you ...
Nah, how about you keep your flea & worm infested barking shit machine away from us civilized people.
>>
Water, boots, 2 pairs wool socks, fixed blade knife/sharpener, poncho, Sawyer filter or lifestraw depending on your personal preference, small first aid kit built from scratch based on your personal needs and medical history, .22 handgun & ammo, Bic lighter, metal water bottle that can handle being put in a fire to boil water, more water, Vaseline, bandana, jeans and t-shirt, long sleeved shirt, extra underwear, water, folding saw like a sven saw or sawvivor, multitool, flashlight and headlamp that both run on AAA batteries, extra batteries. Small amount of food- jerky, energy bars, candy, but stress on the small amount. IF you have even a basic knowledge of your environment you shouldn't have a problem finding food along the way in that amount of time. Maybe some other shit but that should do you good for a while unless you are a serious faggot. I'd stress packing as much water as you can comfortably carry. Yes, you can purify water in the field but nothing beats having it ready to go. If you pack ends up weighing more than 40 pounds, you have too much shit.
>>
>>707020
Survival for 5 days? Survival means minimum everything, even water and calories intake.
>>
>>710696

No, that is not what survival means. Stop watching your shitty American survival shows. Survival is learning how to be self efficient. Learning about what you can and can't eat in the wild, what makes good medicine, how to start a fire, how to build shelter, how to purify water, etc. It has nothing to do with being minimalist. Carrying nothing but a knife and fire starter into the woods is called being retarded, not survival.
>>
>>707021
>(5) Cordage

I've gone my entire life without ever using cordage on my camping trips. Some were 3 weeks long, longest was 1 month.

I will never understand the need for cordage.
>>
File: 41780-19933.gif (45 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
41780-19933.gif
45 KB, 320x240
>>707020

Lots of dildo and astrolube.
>>
>>707021
Isn't this the guy who lied about his experience to get on the discovery show? How can you seriouslly recommend him to someone that is looking for reliable info? Smh senpai
>>
>>710704

Because muh Man vs Wild and Dual Survival tells me it's good.
>>
>>710717

He lied about his military record. He's a survivalist though and has been for decades. His credentials for teaching survival is more than impeccable.
>>
>>710731
I find it sad that nowadays you have to be ex-military for anyone to take your survival knowledge seriously.
>>
>>708140
>thinking it uncivilized to have underlings
pleb detected
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.