[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Going on a 26.2 mile ruck march with a minimum of 35 lbs although
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: whitesands[1].jpg (1 MB, 2400x1594) Image search: [Google]
whitesands[1].jpg
1 MB, 2400x1594
Going on a 26.2 mile ruck march with a minimum of 35 lbs although I'll probably do more. Any basic tips? I've already been training and I know I'll have to hydrate a lot but I'm not sure if there is anything else I can do to make it easier.
>>
>>706701
Bataan Death march huh... maybe ill see you out there.

Ive never had a problem with my feet, but buddies of mine prone to getting blisters wear regular socks and panty hose type sock. apparently it helps.

Remember to snack and keep hydrating with salts (cerasport, (sp?) or ORS)

Its literally a marathon, so take your time and treat any issues as they may arise, such as hot spots on your feet, cramps, ruck discomfort, etc.

Its gonna suck, but thats the point, imagine being one of the original marchers, think of them and push on.
>>
>>706724
It'll be my first time, really looking forward to it. Sounds like you've been before?
>>
Ive done Bataan twice. 2nd time I did it I jogged the downhill parts going around the mountain and it cut quite a bit off my time
>>
>>706734
What was your time? I'm not gonna try for a competitive time, maybe next year.
>>
Wear a pair of thin/dress socks under a good thick comfortable pair of wool socks for maximum comfort, dryness, and blister prevention.

Don't walk close together like your pic related if you aren't forced to. You'll be hotter sharing body heat, get pissed off stepping on each other's feet, etc. When I hike with buddies, we always stay about 10 yards apart.

Bring Anti-Chafe cream. The only thing worse than an itchy asshole is burning swamp nuts.

Speaking of itchy assholes, bring baby wipes instead of toilet paper. It's a lot more comforting. Burn them with a lighter after so you aren't leaving shitty baby wipes everywhere.

Bring some of those powder form Gatorade packets to mix in your water for some electrolytes.

Bring a pair of socks and underwear for each day, and just 1 pair of pants and shirt as a backup. It's refreshing to put on a new pair of socks and underwear. Dirty shirts and pants don't bother me much. I just bring a backup to wear while the other gets dry or if they get torn.

Wear Nylon clothing. They are light, protect you from the sun, and dry quickly. I wore denim jeans on my first hike and it was raining half the time. Wet soggy denim is the worst feeling ever. Had friction rashes between my thighs.

Can't think of anything else. Enjoy your hike.
>>
>>706734
I'm different from>>706724 but to add on to what he's saying, I did my first time in issued boots and socks, 2nd time in Rockies, feet were ok both times. You're bound to get minor blisters but as long as your boots are good and broken in you should be fine.
Try not to stop at the rest stations, grab a cerasport and a few orange slices or banana at each one and slam them and grab one more cup of water/cerasport and be on your way. Try not to over-hydrate. my first time i think I went through like 7-8 camelbaks and I was stopping to piss at every rest station which really sucked when you had to throw your pack back on and get moving again. 1-2 camelbaks plus what they give you at the rest stop should be enough
The sand pit is gonna suck so you might as well stop crying to yourself about it and just focus on powering through it. Also bring music and Ibuprofen.
Only time you should really stop is at the aid station at thte top of the mountain (you'll know it when you see it) to sit down and change socks as quick as you can and only if you need to.

Take your boots off as soon as you're done and change into flip flops or your feet will swell up and they'll have to cut your boots off.
Try to bring or find a buddy at your level to ruck with. Pacing each other keeps you both from slowing down plus you have someone to talk to.

Have fun
>>
>>706749
also boonie hat, long sleeve dry-wick shirt and sunscreen
>>
>>706749
>>706737
also I think my second time was like ~7 hrs or so. It was around a 15 min/mile pace
>>
>>706763
If you have any more questions OP, I'll be monitoring this thread. My unit's been sending a group to go do the march for at least the last 10 years so we kinda have it down to a science.
>>
>>706769
I'l probably just ask more questions as they come to me. What kind of underwear would be good? I want something that won't ride up or chafe but I don't want to restrict blood flow for that long with compression shorts.
>>
>>706771
I wore normal boxers because that's what ive always worn. They ride up a bit from the frame of the pack but I got used to it during my training marches. Wear whatever is most comfortable to you or if you decide to go with the compression shorts, be sure to train in them so you become used to them.
>>
>>706775
Quite a few people in my group wore the spandex compression shorts but they were mostly guys who wore those for underwear anyways (pt shorts ride up a lot)
Its basicly the same thing as people's preference between the high speed nylon compression socks or the old school cushy hiking socks. Play around and find what you're most comfortable in and then stay with that and train in it
>>
>they make walking events for people that can't run marathons
>call them "tactical spec ops death march" to make them sound legit
Here I was thinking it couldn't get any more poser than Tough Mudder or Zombie Runs
>>
26 miles does not sound that bad senpai
>>
>>706806
It isn't the distance, it's the terrain and climate.
http://bataanmarch.com/the-course/
>>
>>706790
>>706806
It mostly comes down to how fast you're going and how much weight you decide to use. And it's a memorial it's like a tough mudder which is only to have fun.
>>
>>706819
>>>706790
*not like a tough mudder
>>
>>706701
water
sugar
hydration salts
sunscreen (you can apply it before you start no need to carry)
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.