[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hiking in europe
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: images (25).jpg (30 KB, 631x233) Image search: [Google]
images (25).jpg
30 KB, 631x233
Hi /out/. I'm going to europe mid year, wondering about hiking and camping there. We are going to italy, spain, greece, croatia and possibly turkey. What must do hikes are there? Is it easy to just hike alone, or do you have to do organised treks? I'd like to hear ideas and thoughts on this subject. Also we were to camp for a few days where could we leave the rest of our belongings? I realise im asking specific questions about a whole continent but any discussion will be useful
>>
>>706042

It's easy if you have money.

Spain is safe save for gypsies in the north, but they're bros if you know how to treat them. Like most dangerous groups, they rarely go outdoors though.

Just follow famous routes and you'll be ok. I recommend you buy a good /out/ gps though.

You can almost always rent lockers in big train stations, I think maybe you can find locker renting places where you can safely store your packs and shit for days.

Never EVER leave your shit in hotels unless they're expensive, because shit will get stolen.

Turkey is a bit fucked up and getting worse, I wouldnt go there right now. Croatia is less safe than the rest of countries you mentioned.

It's all about how much money you have. Even if you go cheap never skip meals.
>>
>>706045
>Turkey is a bit fucked up and getting worse, Croatia is less safe than the rest of the countries you mentioned
I'll eat my words if you've actually been to either of those countries, but this reads like a certified shitpost.

OP that sounds like a hell of a trip. Not sure what you mean by "is it easy to just hike alone"; they're all free countries. You probably weren't planning on going to eastern Turkey but it'd be so cool do do Mt Ararat. I think you are required to have a guide for that.

Spain must be the coolest country in Europe. You can follow the GR footpaths all through the country; my hiking experience is with the Pyrenees, Picos de Europa, and Andalucia. All 10/10 attractions. Wild camping is easy.
How long will you have in each country?
>>
>>706045
Maybe Spain is different but I've left my shit in hostels with random strangers throughout central Europe and never had anything stolen. Obviously if you have anything really valuable, keep it on you or in a locker but in any hotel I wouldn't worry about having stuff stolen.

I'm going to agree with >>706075 that you've never been to Croatia or Turkey. Turkey may be a mess politically, but as a tourist it is fine and I'm not sure why you'd even mention Croatia as unsafe. I'd be more worried about pickpockets in Spain and Italy, but even that's not a problem unless you're at crowded tourist trap and oblivious of your surroundings.
>>
>>706075
Is it a good idea to hike in the summer? In spain?
>>
>>706186
If you like tons of people than yes. I hiked the Camino last year during February and was the best. Almost no one in the trails, comfy weather etc. I do want to go to Picos de Europa this time, hopefully before June.

Would nice that some spanishbro specified about wild camping laws though.
>>
>>706189
I have no idea about legality but I've wild camped a hell of a lot in Spain and it's super easy. Low population density, lots of trees for cover, plus nobody gives a fuck in the first place. Only drawback is everything's dry as a bone, so I'm afraid to start fires. Don't want to burn down the only country in western Europe with real forests.
>>
>>706269
On which parts have you camped?
>>
I'm thinking Romania. Anyone have experience of this? Alternatively central Italy (Umbria)
>>
File: IMG_8187 - IMG_8186.jpg (4 MB, 2754x1254) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8187 - IMG_8186.jpg
4 MB, 2754x1254
I'm French and I've spent a pretty big amount of time in the French mountains, it's pretty nice.

People are usually friendly while /out/, everyone will gladly help you finding your way or whatever you could need. I live in a big city, and I really enjoy this part of being /out/, you can easily speak with people you meet.
Also, if you're from the USA, it may be a surprise for you but no one here carry a gun, so you will feel safe. During week ends you can met hunters, they're usually nice and not stupid so it's okay.

If you plan to go to France I can suggest some awesome spots (pic related is a photograph I took in the French Alps) for you to visit.

Also, there's a lot of villages and people in French mountains, so you'll probably never be in a very critical situation, but you'll probably meet other people, which is not always what you want.
>>
>>706075
>OP that sounds like a hell of a trip. Not sure what you mean by "is it easy to just hike alone

I just meant can just go by yourself where ever without a guide etc.

Sounds like spain is going to be awsome, so can we just turn up to trails or so you have to go and pay a fee / get a permit or anything?

>>706075
>How long will you have in each country?

Only got 5 weeks for the whole trip not sure exact time in each place yet. We'll mainly be staying in comfy hotels but we want to do a few hikes and camping in between

Thanks for all the good info so far.
Will i have any problems bringing a small knife for camping? Ie a leatherman or something?
>>
File: 1456871533264.jpg (44 KB, 709x765) Image search: [Google]
1456871533264.jpg
44 KB, 709x765
Do you guys hike or camp? I live near a river that is surround by a National Forest and I just set up camp along the river and fish for 2-3 days allowing my dog to roam free and have some fun too. A friend of mine invited me on a 3 day hiking trip walking 15-20 miles each day. What the fuck is that shit?

>tfw I agreed but I have a feeling it's going to be more miserable than fun.
>>
>>706075
>You probably weren't planning on going to eastern Turkey but it'd be so cool do do Mt Ararat

Op here again, would love to do that, whats the climb like? How many days? How much did it cost? The only mountain ive been up is huayna potosi.
>>
File: dest_eu_spain.jpg (77 KB, 640x466) Image search: [Google]
dest_eu_spain.jpg
77 KB, 640x466
>>706284
Only the extreme north (Catalonia, Basque, Galicia) and the extreme south (Andalucia, Cadiz). So maybe it's different in the middle of the country.
Honestly I've freecamped in every Western Euro country except portugal, I've never had a problem with people. It's easy to be invisible.
>>706384
Umbria is high on my bucket list. I've only been to Sardinia as far as Italy goes but I loved everything about it.
>>706419
>can we just turn up to trails or so you have to go and pay a fee / get a permit or anything?
I dunno about the important national parks...I think I remember reading you need a permit for the Picos de Europa, so maybe it's true of other parks. But the GR trails are open to everyone; tourist offices can give you maps and info about them. (this map doesn't show all of them; there are like 20 in Spain alone)
>Any problems with a small knife
Not if it's small, and you've got a good reason to carry it. I had a 5-inch Buck knife taken from me by train station security in Spain, but that's just 'cause I was dumb enough to wear it on my belt. But a leatherman they won't care even if they see it.
>>706440
I've never even been to Turkey; I just think Ararat looks incredible. It's probably not cheap because it's legit a dangerous climb, takes multiple days, and is on the ass-end of the planet so only real adventurer types get out there.
>>
>where could we leave the rest of our belongings?
Like the other guy said, there are lockers in every major train and bus station. They don't cost much. Otherwise, your hotel or hostel can usually hold bags free of charge.
>>
>>706393
I've just moved to Paris and I'm itching to escape to the country this Easter. What do you suggest?
>>
Go to Slovakia and you will find the best mountains and wilderness in all of Europe.
>>
>>706602
The problem when living in Paris is that you need to drive your car for a long time before you see a tree.
I'm from the south of France, and I love the French Pyrénées. I would suggest the Parc National des Bouillouses if you're a begginer, it's rather crowdy on summer time but it's really awesome. You can spend 3h or 3 days there.
If you're middly experienced, you can go to the Pic du Canigou. Just leave your car at Prades and hike to the top. I do it every year, usually in 3 days.
1st day : From Prades to the 'Refuge des Cortalets', it's the last place you'll find somewhere to sleep before making it to the top. (you can pay to sleep inside and eat something, but you can sleep in a tent and make a fire near it).
2nd day : From the Refuge des Cortalets to the top, and then down to the 'Refuge de Mariailles'. Same as the Cortalets, you can pay to sleep inside (during summer), or sleep near it (No fire alowed, though).
3rd day : From the Refuge de Mariaille to Vernet-Les-Bains. It's a small villages, but you can take a bus or hitchike to Prades.

I don't know French Alps that well, but I've been to the Parc National des Ecrins and it was amazing.
The picture from the other post is from this place, it's called Pic de Chabrières and it's a few hours walk from the village called ' Reallon '. This place was so amazing I spend 2 days there though.
>>
>>707066
>The problem when living in Paris is that you need to drive your car.

Yeah I think I'd rather get the train if I can. Thanks for the tips though.
>>
>>707232
You can get to Perpignan by train, then there's plenty of bus to every small villages in the Pyrénées, including Prades.
>>
>>707066
>Parc National des Bouillouses
I have a few weeks off during easter so I think I'll give this a go, maybe check out the pyranees this summer.
>>707252
Cool. What do you think about wild-camping? I've done plenty in Scotland but I don't know what people's attitudes are in France.
>>
>>706042
Why Turkey?
Also, Croatia is way safer than other countries mentioned, just avoid parts where Serbs are a majority
>>
>>707254
> What do you think about wild-camping?

I never had any problem with it, but I don't use a tent and I try to be very discrete so maybe that's why.
As I said people are usually nice in the mountains so I don't see why it can be a problem. Whenever I meet people that see me sleeping outside they're usually impressed and want to talk nicely about it, so yeah I don't think you'll have a problem with it
>>
>>706613
>Slovakia
>49,035 km2
>best mountains and wilderness in all of Europe
Nigger what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>706186
It's fine, but there are a lot of people and it gets very hot apart from in the north and at higher altitudes.
>>
File: 1450449081517.jpg (3 MB, 7022x4967) Image search: [Google]
1450449081517.jpg
3 MB, 7022x4967
>>707481

It might not be the best wilderness in Europe but it still looks pretty good to me.
I'm pretty sure there's no country in Europe with no good /out/ places.
>>
>>707481
The Lonely Planet blurb says it's one of the most heavily forested countries in the world.
>>
>>707576
>I'm pretty sure there's no country in Europe with no good /out/ places.
Yeah that's definitely true. And even where the wilderness isn't pristine, you gotta appreciate it for what it is. All the culture and history that fed off of what Europe's forests had to offer. I guess I'm a sucker for the Old World, but dare I say I'd have a nicer time camping in a little gamekeeper's wood in Devon than just walking around the endless spruce forests you find in my state.
There hasn't been a decent forest in Scotland for a thousand years, but the topography, the wildlife, the culture have all adapted, leaving what is IMO the most scenic country on earth.
>>
>>706613
No wild camping in the Tatras tho.
>>
>>707576
Belgium and the Netherlands.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.