[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What makes a good outdoors coat, Looking for something waterproof,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5
File: 4629699_max.jpg (41 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
4629699_max.jpg
41 KB, 1200x1200
What makes a good outdoors coat, Looking for something waterproof, warm and long(knee length)
>>
>>696801
>I have travelled oceans of time to find you
>>
>>696801
What makes a good outdoor coat? Not what you're looking for.

Most flexible system is LAYERED system. What that means is your outer shell, the waterproof layer, to be most versatile, should not be insulated.

Equally, knee length introduces unnecessary weight. IMO better to combine a jacket with a pair of waterproof pants when necessary. You're not an /out/ version of Blade. That thing looks like a barbour waxed coat probably weighs 3kg dry and 4kg wet.

I'd prioritise:
- Waterproof
- Breathable (adequate venting zips)
- Cut (high collar, long enough to cover buttocks, taped wrists, wired hood)
- Weight (under 1kg)

All depends on use. If I'm bushwhacking I want a polycotton jacket that'll take some abrasion and hard wearing. If I'm high alpine I'd go for more a technical shell.

It should be part of a layering system:

Base layer (wicking layer)
Insulating layer
(Windproof layer, optional, softshells becoming increasingly popular as a stand alone layer)
Waterproof layer

That way you can add remove as the weather dictates. Let me tell you the worst thing in the world is a sustained climb in high humidity (rain) with a waterproof thats' got insulation. You sweat your fuckin' balls off.
>>
>>696857
If he only wears it in the winter, having a bit of insulation is not so bad, assuming he doesn't exert himself overly in it. Having insulation included usually lowers bulk and snagging.

The weight of the knee part is really not that big, especially if it's a shell coat or a light insulated one. Oilskin coats are heavy because oilskin is heavy.

Waterproof pants need to be put on and off and are not very breathable. The coat end does not inhibit transpiration, yet protects you all the time.

I think it sad that coats have become a fashion item (and -statement) because the shape really does work well with little drawback, assuming you're not doing anything overly sportive.
>>
>>696801
>What makes a good outdoors coat
Not being knee length, for starters.
>>
>>696801

hip length, elasticized or adjustable hem and cuffs. pit zips, stand collar and hood.
>>
>>696965
desu my goretex trousers, with full length side zips + poppers, breathes extremely well.

I prefer a hard shell + an insulating layer be it fleece, shag, wool, or down.
>>
File: 1409770642871s.jpg (4 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1409770642871s.jpg
4 KB, 250x250
>>696801
>>
>>696801
im looking for one of these myself, just for cold winter weather

and also because its the school shooty coat worn by Dylan and Eric

known as a trench coat but this particular one is called a Stockman Coat
>>
>>696801
Wool.
Try a "Capote" coat.
Like a giant, hooded bathrobe.
So who's gonna laugh at you?
The bears?
You're innawoods, not 5th Avenue.
>>
Gotta agree with layers. If it's cold I go with: base layer wicking polypro long johns + polypro top, either cargo pants or jeans (doesn't matter, I'm not gonna get cold with long johns + activity), then maybe a decent flannel or waffle top, on top of that all that, a goretex top/bottom, assuming it's cold and raining/snowing. Additionally I add a scarf or hat if I feel like it and want to look good for the trees.

If it's warm and raining I typically just go with water resistant pants (unless it's driving rain my pants will be fine for a hike), and a waterproof shell, no extra clothing needed really. Plus extra socks.

Tldr; layer your clothes and get a good waterproof shell, it's better
>>
>>696857

Listen to this man.
Pain in the ass to have to carry or pack a long cut if you decide to take it off.
When I first moved to the Southwest years ago, I went looking for a duster. Glad I never found one. Now I layer and just wear my raincoat as an outer layer. So much better.
>>
highly recommend a military Improved Rain Suit jacket. You can buy them for like $30 and they make for an excellent rain jacket as well as a winter jacket when paired with a hoodie underneath
>>
>>697144
fukkin lol
>>
>>699283
>wool
>waterproof
Fuck off, wool with the lanolin in it is water resistant at best. Enjoy your stupidly heavy coat that doesn't block wind, doesn't stop rain (inb4 wool is warm when wet meme), takes forever to dry and probably costs more than a mid priced outer and mid layer set anyway.

Listen to the second poster's advice. If you really want a knee length jacket, I know that Earth, Sea and Sky Clothing sell some proper Goretex ones, but they aren't cheap.
>>
Try to get some good quality cotton. I've had a cotton jacket for years. Really warm and the water just falls right off.
>>
>>696801
>good
>long(knee length)
Pick one of these. If you picked the second option, feel free to combine it with any number of the following. (You may pick more than one).
>creepy
>weird
>impractical
>creepy
>>
>>696823
kek
>>
>>696801
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0157RUWIA
I've been looking for a similar thing for a while and I bought this and I'm pretty happy with it. I'm 6ft and a size large goes down to my upper calves so my legs won't get wet with 90% of rain coats, and when you're not using it, you can zip it up into a backpack. Gonna get my tailor to make a fleece liner for it someday so I can just throw it on without layering.
>>
>>699634
Well, aren't you a potty-mouthed little stain.
Did you sleep on an ant pile last night or something?
>>
>>696801
Trail duster. To this day my favorite overcoat ever
>>
File: brit dpm smock g1 2012.jpg (302 KB, 662x953) Image search: [Google]
brit dpm smock g1 2012.jpg
302 KB, 662x953
A heavy wool coat (a cruiser for example) has it's place, but it's more a bumming in the woods jacket where it comes into its own as long as you have somewhere to dry it off every night. Would not hike with, would not typical /out/ with.

Preferred system for me is:

Base (polypro or merino)
Mid (wool, fleece, down or a combo depending)
Outer (polycotton smock)
Pissing it down (silnylon golite poncho)

IMO goretex has been shilled for so long now hard shells have become synonymous with what an outer layer should be but honestly if you concede total waterproofness you get a much more flexible outer.
>>
>>696801
i prefer a woolen cloak. it can be wrapped around you like a cloak, worn as a cape, used as a blanket, or even used as a tarp.

i never go /out/ without my wool cloak.
>>
Just want a navy jacket for a man with a removable hood and covers my dick, maybe mid thigh; This would be pretty good if it was waterproof and not cut so gay
>>
File: ВКБО.jpg (252 KB, 800x553) Image search: [Google]
ВКБО.jpg
252 KB, 800x553
this desu
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.