[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Going /out/ This Weekend.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 13
File: winter-camping-uintas.jpg (271 KB, 1100x733) Image search: [Google]
winter-camping-uintas.jpg
271 KB, 1100x733
What does /out/ take on a 24 hour snow camping trip? Me and my friend from Florida are camping out this weekend in Central Maine. We will be walking in about 3 miles and setting up camp. This is my first overnight in the snow so any gear lists or advise would be greatly appreciated! P.S. I need to shop for shelter/sleep gear at Walmart today, any suggestions? Thanks /out/.
>>
>>695993
By the way temps will be between 25-35 degrees F
>>
>>695993
good tent, not just some shitty one you happen to own

wool socks

good fire making tools for your skills, if you can make a fire with two sticks, two sticks is fine, if not, bring your own everything, tinder, flame, even wood so you dont have to [not] find it out in the woods

flashlights that are powerful and extra extra [extra] batteries

i always used to have either weed or alcohol or something to bring camping, some dxm to let the ghosts out

protection from ghosts

a big stick that you carve into a spear before nightfall

a small goat or other good bait animal

condoms [you will be having sex with your friend]

small snare traps about the right size for a 12 year old human

drone with infrared capabilities

up to 8 doses of animal tranquilizer [not for use on animals]

a good book

a can of beans for you to eat

water bottles

a chair to sit in

ropes and bindings

a candle

a knife

a mirror

can of beans for your friend to eat

extra car keys for when he takes yours

a good hat

sun lotion

warm pants

a can of beans for him to eat

some cough drops to help ease your throat after all the screaming

bleach [helps get the stains out]

there is more that you want to bring but these are the basics
>>
>>695993
There may not be snow there depending on exactly where. Super mild winter for the most part this year.
>>
>>696063
Haha I got a kick out of reading that, does a glock make a good replacement of the sharpened stick? And the wood gathering is the best and most challenging part of camping, keep in mind everything will be brought in on a backpack so size and weight will be a factor
>>
>>696069
Oh there is snow, it's snowing now but it's wet and sticky snow nasty stuff
>>
>>696073
yea the glock is good to have, but having a big stick is always nice in the woods

also your tent

really you are gonna have to make sure its not shit, ive heard some people owning like 9 tents depending on the weather

im not an expert on the subject but i would not be surprised if walmart doesn't have appropriate tents

get one at REI for cold weather and your all set
>>
>>696074
Tarps then. lots and lots of tarps.

BTW, camping in snow is fun. Camping in rain/snow/freezing mix sucks more than every vacuum in the world.
>>
Bring $100 because I guarantee you will end up staying in a motel 6 after 30 minutes in the cold

>in b4 snow makes you warmer meme
>>
>>696077
Okay, buut I dont get one tent from the other really theyre all just a thin sheet of windbreaker fabric it seems, no? I have a slu of tents.
>>
>>695995
>>695993

You don't a tent, just need a tarp and shovel to build yourself a snow shelter. Bring a good sleeping pad and a bag. If it's snowed enough, good luck finding enough for a fire for the night. Bring a decent stove, if it is a canister, make sure it is isobutane/propane mix (more propane to isobutane ratio the better for cold weather.) Bring a water bottle that can take boiling water and keep you warm.
>>
>>696211
Second what you're saying but you really don't need a pad or a sleeping bag. Just grab a 2 square foot scrap of plastic to lay on and plus some pine branches around and over you (inside your snow cave of course). You should be able to get a good night sleep. No need to bring piss bottles because there is no floor so it soaks in and gives off warmth.
>>
>>696193
SO i've heard that if you use the wrong tent it will bet really humid/ water forms on your tent and can cause drips or moisture

If you go to REI and look at the tents and type "tent advice" into google, do some research, you'll figure it out
>>
>>696211
theres not enough snow for that at the moment, and we were just going to cook some ground beef and beans over the open fire and bring a cast iron skillet. I got a 20 degree F bag from walmart and an eggcrate foam pad and illl probably bring a little 3 person tent. its alot of gear i might have to drag a sled behind me. I'm going to try to improvise with bushcraft as much as I can, i.e. make a drying rack exc..
>>
>>696356
and i'm really not trying to sleep on pine needles lol this is a private snowshoe trail were going on and I don't want to chop down a bunch of their living trees and such.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Here's the bag it was $39.95 from Walmart. Hopefully it will get the job done I'm not made of money and some winter bags go for like $300+ I will post my inventory when I get it sorted out.
>>
>>695993
Have fun! :^)
http://www.pressherald.com/2016/01/29/maine-hiker-missing-2-years-died-in-sleeping-bag-inside-tent/
>>
>>696934
that sleeping bag will NOT keep you warm enough. Get a better one or buy a few of them. your toes will get frostbitten (bring extra extra extra socks so you always have a dry pair).

it sounds like you have no idea what you're doing. don't go. do more research. do a day hike, or just even camp like ten feet from a road with your car there so you can drive somewhere safe when you realize you missed some little thing that will cause you to die or get seriously hurt.

or just go and die or maybe not and have fun.

(bring trailmix with peanuts)
>>
>>696980
I think if he brings along a good blanket and a emergency blanket just in case it gets colder then expected he should be fine.

This is assuming where he sleeps is properly insulated from the ground, and he is shielded from wind and water.

Layers work better when defending against cold then blowing you load on one piece of overly expensive gear.
>>
>>695993
>friend from Florida
IS IT A BOY OR A GIRL BECAUSE IF ITS A GIRL YOU NEED TAMPONS AND STUFF I GUESS
>>
>>696934
Oh shit. He's actually doing it. The madman
>>
>>695993
OP, a big thing with winter camping is insulation from the ground. You lose a lot of your heat as it dissipates beneath you. A ground tarp, tent floor, closed foam pad, sleeping bag and air pad would be an ideal set up between you and the ground. If you have a wool blanket it might be good to bring as well if your sleeping bag doesn't keep you cold enough
>>
>>696998
i'm a guy and i always carry tampons they are just way too useful as tinder a filter or to stop bleeding.
>>
File: 20160221_073841.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160221_073841.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
Just did something similar up by lake superior, it was fun but pretty cold. My girlfriend had it worse than me because she's small but she was a trooper.

Bring lots of wool socks. Don't wear so many socks that you restrict blood flow to your feet.

Bring and wear stretchy synthetic layers like smartwool or athletic wear, anything moisture wicking. Sleep in this, and wear a hat while you sleep.

Cook warm food. We made soup with rice, dried veggies, and curry spice, and ate lots of cheese and nuts. Oatmeal with dried blueberries for breakfast.

Deadfall wood will be wet and hard to burn, you may need to split larger logs and let them dry facing the fire or bring dry wood if you're car camping.

Bring something entertaining for the tent, once the sun goes down you'll want to be comfy. We played cribbage.

Don't let your water freeze. Definitely don't let your filter freeze. I kept my sawyer near my body the whole time.

Girlfriend did a good job packing the snow down for the tent spot and she built a little snow wall to break the wind, worked well. If you don't pack the snow your body heat can melt it.

Have fun!
>>
File: 20160220_142628.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160220_142628.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>697030
We were near the gooseberry river, pretty waterfalls.
>>
File: 20160221_093706.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160221_093706.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>697040
Lake Superior was pretty fucking wild, I'm glad we were camping a few miles inland.
>>
>>697040
North Shore, Right? I love the stretch of highway from Duluth to the Border. Scenic as fuck. Lots of places to stop and see cool shit.
>>
>>697022
I'm going to buy a cot
>>
>>697050
Yep, we hiked south from gooseberry falls state park.
>>
>>697002
Yes I am doing it. lmao this is /out/ I thought you guys were true outdoors man. Why so afraid of the cold? I'm acclimated to this environment, and it's going to be a great time.
>>
>>697030
Thanks for the great advise I appreciate it!
>>
The entrance to the trail will be a mile from where we are camping my car will be there and a family friends house as well if things go south we arent far. We're not going to die. not so sure the flordian knows what he's in for though. He thinks hes just going to sleep on the open ground with his pad and sleeping bag. he said hes used to sleeping on wet ground in florida...lmao
>>
Gear check incoming.
-Op
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Clothing on the hike in:
-Wool sox
-Thinsulate boots with vibrant soles and vortex liner.( totally waterproof, tested.)
-x2 clif bars for PROTIEN!
-steel Auti water bottle
-L.L. Bean 100 liter pack
-knife
-keys
-under armor headgear synthetic base layer and cap
- Oakley gascans (not shown)
-Hanes X-temp underwear
-Columbia fleece mid layer
-Condor Outdoor summit soft shell jacket
-Northface Hyvent DL snowpants
-5.11 tactical double duty belt
-Glock 19 gen 4 with spare mag both in custom made Kydex holsters
-IPhone 6 in LifeProof waterproof case(Not Shown).
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>
*Gortex liner
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
100% cotton base layer swap before bed plus thick wool socks and scarf/head wrap.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Sled:
-Egg crate sleeping mat
-10x10 tarp for ground
-30x30 tarp for shelter canopy
-hatchet
-collapsible snow shovel
-cast iron skillet with bacon grease on it
-20 degree F sleeping bag
-x2 lawn chairs cuz I'm assuming friend won't be bringing one.
-three person tent
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Pack dump not going to list everything just ask if you can't identify.
>>
Okay guys is there anything im missing that's detrimental to my well being?
>>
>>697246
Scrap these. Cotton is the last thing you want to be wearing in the winter. Go down to your local surplus store and ask for thick polypro thermals. Shouldn't be too expensive, next best thing to a full merino suit. If that's still out of your price range, fleece pajamas are bulky but work well.

Also, get a couple hand warmers to stuff under your nutsack while you're sleeping. You'd be surprised how much warmer you'll feel. And you'll be sterile for a couple days as a bonus. You always want to sleep warm, or you won't sleep at all.
>>
>>697276
Cotton is bad if you sweat and get them wet. I purposefully get a poly base. For the day/setting up camp, and a clean dry cotton layer for sitting around the campfire and getting cozy in bed. It will be more comfortable than that poly shit to sleep in and will keep me warm. Moister is not an issue is that's what you're referring to. And yeah I have 4 sets of hand warmers and 2 sets of toe warmers some shown in pack dump above.
>>
>>697276
And I will be wearing my Columbia fleece mid layer to sleep and I just decided to bring poly/cotton sweatpants too.
>>
well considering no one is posting anymore I'm assuming I'm pretty squared away. See I'm not going to die after all.
>>
>>697348
Yeah looks like you're pretty well set. That's actually a lot more gear than I would bring for 1 night but if you're happy with the weight then go for it. I don't see any food besides those two mysterious cans, are you just eating pork and beans?
>>
>>697595
Yeah pork and beans for supper, clif bars for lunch and breakfast
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
All set and ready to go /out/ tmrw morning will post my adventure.
>>
>>697795
Have fun you glorious cast iron pan carrying he-man faggot
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.