[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
RMP - rate my pack thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 14
File: my bag jpeg.jpg (2 MB, 4444x2120) Image search: [Google]
my bag jpeg.jpg
2 MB, 4444x2120
wanted to try this out. Post your unpacked and packed gear. Backpack general seemed to be more about the pack than what does inside.

rate my pack
>>
>>688255
>>665724
There is the previous gear loadout thread.

This looks okay, OP. I feel obligated to say something about the fedora, but it look alight I guess.

I was just looking at that pack a few minutes ago which is weird. I'm not sure why you're using an alcohol stove when you'd be better off with a butane tank (small) and pocket stove.

I don't see much first aid stuff which is fine, i don't bother much with that either.

I think if you were to bring food and clothes for multiple days, you'd be in a bit of trouble for space, but maybe you're a short trip kinda guy.

Overall, cool looking pack but meh/10
>>
>>688255
Rate 8.75/10 tier
>this guy got his shit together.
>>
>>688341
alcohol over gas because i dont want to carry and dispose of cans. plus building the right one in itself provided a few good weekends.

pic related weighed only 24 lbs and theres more room in the top of the bag for food and extra clothes. definitely some options beyond the necessary
>>
>>688341
also the hat is luls, it actually is super uncomfortable with a pack on.

>>688358
thanks. not broken into but tested. thinking about doing first trek next weekend
>>
>>688255

You are doing pretty good.

>alcohol over gas because i dont want to carry and dispose of cans. plus building the right one in itself provided a few good weekends.

If it will be windy, you're gonna have to be creative with that alcohol stove.

I am not sure where you are going but you ought to have decent mid layer. Also, ditch that headlamp, I see a lot of those fail.
>>
File: IMG_4490.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4490.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>
File: IMG_4155.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4155.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>689243
>>
File: Mammut Creon Light 45.jpg (195 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
Mammut Creon Light 45.jpg
195 KB, 1200x1200
Come at me.
>>
>>689243
lightweight. I like it
>>
>>689271
sooo whats inside? theres another thread with advertisers posting backpack pics
>>
>>689331
it's becoming a toxic environments when people ask for reccommendations and you can't even talk about products you like without being called a shill
at the same time I understand that there are actual shills here who are some times very obvious, but that doesn't justify this type of paranoia
>>
>>689345
okay but that's not talking about anything its posting a pic of a backpack straight from a website
>>
>>689347
I'm not the anon who posted that backpack. But personally I some times use stock photos because it's easier than going out and getting the backpack, arranging it for a photo etc. I also have a crappy camera on my phone that makes photos look terrible. There are several reasons why people use stock photos.
>>
>>689331
>>689347
>>689349
whenever I see a stock photo, I automatically assume that the poster (pretender / wannabe pick one) does not actually have that product + no first hand experience with the product and I generally dismiss whatever they have to say.
>>
>>689373
That's your decision and you are free to make it of course, but it is unreasonable.
>>
>>689243
>>689245
don't want to be rude but doesn't look like the same loadout in that pack between the two pics assuming you're the same anon
>>
>>689378
>but it is unreasonable

naa, not entirely, there's a LOT of armchair outdoorsmen on this board that have read a lot and watched many YT vids but have NO actual experience in the outdoors...

this is from /b/ but it pretty much applies to any online forum:

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.
>>
>>689412
it's a baseless assumption that everyone is like that and is not really rational
like I already wrote, I use stock photos of stuff I own because my potato camera makes shitty blurry photos and of course it is just a convenient thing to google the picture instead of taking it yourself.
I'm mostly making this point because I see shill accusations all the time.
>>
>>689422
>I use stock photos of stuff I own

stuff you want to own - FTFY
>>
>>689431
yeah you're paranoid we get it
>>
>>689404
It is. I'm wearing the camp sandals in the first picture while they are packed in the second picture. I use disposable water bottles always, so I switched from from smart water to power aid bottles at some point. First picture was in New York, second picture was in Harper's Ferry Virginia about 2 weeks earlier. This is the gear I used for a 5 month long hike.
>>
>>689614
Different anon here.

How many liters is that bag? Maybe it's the angle, but the bag seems small for all that gear.

Then again, i may just suck at packing efficiently.
>>
>>689673
ULA Circuit is ~68L
>>
>>689677
Ah alright, makes sense then.

Picture makes it look smaller than it is
>>
>>689673
ULA doesn't categorize their packs by litters, instead you size everything off of your base weight and full pack weight. This pack is not made to carry over 30 lbs fully packed. The pic with all my gear laid out is 4.5 days of food (6.5lbs) 2 litters of water (4lbs) and about 10lbs of gear. I assure you it fits all my gear and has room for more.
http://www.ula-equipment.com/product_p/circuit.htm
>>
>>689681
>Asked what the volume of the bag is
>ULA doesn't believe in volume
What stupid shit are you saying?
>>
>>689784
Go to ULA's website and show where any of there packs are measured in litters. They measure them in torso length, waist size, and carry capacity. And if you don't understand why this makes scene, then this backpack is probably not for you.
>>
>>689807
The page you linked under specifications
>Total Volume: 4,200 cu in or about 68 liters
>>
>>689809
lol you right
>>
File: image.jpg (72 KB, 1122x472) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72 KB, 1122x472
>>689807
> show where any of there packs is measured in litters

First of all it's "their packs" not "there packs" and it's "liters" , not "litters"...

Secondly ULA's website does give the volume for their packs (pic related) they use cubic inches but they also give the conversion if you want liters
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
3 day Kit
(On Body)
Leather Boots
Four Season Felt Hat
Cotton Shemagh
Dickies Twill Short Sleeve Workshirt (Shell)
Fleece Long sleeve Pullover (Mid)
Merino Fingerless Gloves
Woolsmart Medium Hikers
Merino Long sleeve (Base)
(Belt)
Small Tools Kit
Headlamp & Sawyer Pouch

Gear Top to Down
Maxpedition Backpack
Cheap Stansport Tarp
Grandtrunk Ultralight Hammock
Eno Atlas Straps (Inside hammock stuff sack)
High-Viz Paracord (Inside Black Pouch)
Galvanized Steel Wire (18 Gauage)
Goldbond for rashes
Prid Salve for healing blisters
Badger Balm for moisturizing
Multitool (Setting Snares & Fishing Hooks)
Twine (Cordage & Firestarter)
Burt's Bees Hand Salve Oil (Future Charcloth Tin)
Note: Cut hole so I can pull & cut pre-soaked twine
Folding Saw
Knife in Pocket Sheath
Leather Gloves for Cooking
38oz Nalgene with Cup
32oz Guyot with Pot
Scrub Kit for Dishes (Not Pictured)

Food Supplies:
Pink Salmon Pouches (x2)
(70 cals, 13 gs protein, 2gs fat, 230 mgs sodium per serving)
Idahoan Baby Reds (8 Servings)
(110 cals, 2 gs protein, 2.5 gas fat, 390 mgs sodium per serving)
Vigo Yellow Rice (Low Sodium = No Msg) (4 servings)
(190 cals, 0 gs fat, 45 mgs sodium, 5 gs protein per serving)
Quinoa (10 Servings)
(160 cals, 6 gs protein, 0 mg sodium, 2.5 gs fat per serving)

Not dropping the SS containers. Too versatile. Looking for a good tarp tent, keep eyeing the Pathfinder Oilcloth Scout Tarptent
>>
>>689849
If you got a bit bigger bag you could add more food like a bag of oats and protein powder and it would be a good setup for even longer
>>
>>688255
What is that radio transmitter you have there?
I've been interested in getting some sort of emergency radio for my bugout bag.
>>
>>690825
baofeng uv5r v2+, any ham will recommend it as a great, affordable option for a first ham radio. you do need a technical license to transmit though.
>>
>>689849
could you post a pic and name the knife alone?im looking for something like that.
>>
>>689243
what is that thing under the water bag?
>>
File: IMG_2776[1].jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2776[1].jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>691040
A sit pad
>>
>>691033
Thanks, I will look it up. A friend and I have started looking into getting our licenses, and from what I hear it's not too difficult.
>>
>>690749
I'm thinking about picking up a 45L bag but still deciding on the material. I want it to last a lifetime and don't care for molle that much. Some of the Aquaquest stuff seems good
>>
>>688255
What is that pack called? Looks nice.
>>
>>691597
Granite gear leopard ac 58
>>
File: IMG_20160219_121423240~01.jpg (305 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160219_121423240~01.jpg
305 KB, 720x1280
Have the basics in pack. Its a budget bug out. But it could keep me breathing. Thinking about switching from tent to tarp.
>>
>>688255
2/10
looks like a yuppie walk in the woods.
I kekd when I saw the long range radio.... HELP HELP I'M LOST IN THE WOODS AND CAN'T GET OUT!!!! lol you mean that wasn't your plan? fucking yuppies.

Your pack is already slammed full but where's your food man? Just gonna go to every dinner you see and spend your sheckles as you yupp along the paved trails?
>>
>>692078
Pleas post your pack. I want to see how much camouflage tacticool army surplus gear you own.
OP has a solid kit.
>>
>>692165
op has a yuppie bird watching kit and a walkie talkie to yut yut with. I'm just rockin my same old pack from when I was enlisted named Ginger. Fully loaded and still not stuffed like a bloated yuppie.
>>
File: fgsfds.jpg (45 KB, 550x545) Image search: [Google]
fgsfds.jpg
45 KB, 550x545
>>692176
>old pack from when I was enlisted
>>
File: yuppie syndrome.jpg (6 KB, 183x275) Image search: [Google]
yuppie syndrome.jpg
6 KB, 183x275
>>692188
>>
>>692188
Ex military retards love to brag about how much worthless gear they carry
>>
File: 7720122_KzwE.jpg (791 KB, 1134x1134) Image search: [Google]
7720122_KzwE.jpg
791 KB, 1134x1134
I want to replace the old assault pack (favorite hiking bag) I have and I was looking at this thing, 200ish dollary doos. I usually do wear a hydration bladder under my pack when I'm hiking.

Anyways, good bag or gimmicky?
>>
>>692547
good bag
>>
>>692078

What a chode.

I have the radio because I like to ham it up not because I'm trying to use it as a long range sos. Also I have about 15L of space left for food, sorry it's not in the pic?
>>
>>692582
>sorry it's not in the pic?

You asking me or are you telling me, boy? Fucking yuppies. I bet that's not even your pack.
>>
>>692547
Assault packs are made of durable material and carry heavy loads. They have tons of different storage and organization options for ammo, tools, electronics, and other specialized equipment. The downside is weight. The average 5 day assault pack weights more than my tent sleeping bag, and pack combined. If your goal is to walk more than 10 miles a day for multiple days then get a backpacking specific pack. If you just want to walk 3 miles into the woods and set up camp, make fires, cook, and play with your knife, assault pack will work, but they are very uncommon on long trails.
>>
>>692547
>>692615
This, if you are looking for an expensive man purse, go for it. If you actually want a backpack, look somewhere else.
>>
>>692615
>>692625
So the camelbak is bad or the assault pack is bad? Tbh I've never noticed the weight on my assault pack, usually I carry a small tent inside, sleeping system strapped, few tools strapped, some food and a few extra socks. And yeah, I really only walk 10-15 miles with it.

If I were to transition from the assault pack, for hiking/camping, where should I go to?
>>
>>692638
>where should I go to?
>Deuter
>Osprey
>Mountain hardware
>Lowe Alpine
>Salewa
>Gregory
>Kelty
... there is hundreds of good pack makers. It is more about what you need, how well it fits you, and if you can find it 50% off.
>>
>>692654
Ok, cool. If I said I liked the chest strap and kidney strap on my assault pack, what bag would you recommend? I'll just go off that recommendation and look around.
>>
File: backpacks.jpg (217 KB, 490x4541) Image search: [Google]
backpacks.jpg
217 KB, 490x4541
>>692675
>chest strap and kidney strap
Both are standard on pretty much every hiking pack.
>>
>>692681
I've got a lot to learn apparently, thanks dude
>>
>>692694
Take the Liter values on the pic with a grain of salt, If you got ok weather you don need the packs that big.
And usually packs are made for a specific activity, mountaineering packs for example are different from normal hiking packs because you need to bring special gear like ice axes and rope and crampons.
So best is to define what you actually wanna do with said pack and then go from there. Also, some packs who are otherwise perfectly fine just don't fit you, so always try them on first, loaded with the weight you intend to rock.

>got a generic cheap ass pack for day hikes and snowshoe trips and it does just fine
organizes stuff as i want, has the features that i want, costs $20
>got a not cheap at all Deuter Futura Pro EL for weekenders and mountain hut touring.
Fits me (i'm 202cm tall), is light, lets me bring enough gear, but is still not a tank. cost me $130
>got a fuck expensive Gregory palisade for multiday trekking
Fits me, lets me haul 60lbs (food for two weeks plus gear) "comfortably", is built like a tank, cost me near $300

Depends a lot on what you do and what you want.
>>
File: 4374538886.jpg (1 MB, 2884x1214) Image search: [Google]
4374538886.jpg
1 MB, 2884x1214
just the "a day in the woods" kit
>canteen with stand and cup
>saw
>knife & firesteel
>comically oversized char tin with odds and ends in it
>camera & bag & gorillapod
and then i just stick some fruit or something in my pocket if i dont eat before i leave
>>
>>693162
What bag?
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.