[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
backpacking/mountaineering
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: 20150725_142049.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20150725_142049.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
About to move to Colorado here in the next few months and i wanted /out/'s advice on backpacking gear i should buy.
I've been on one mountain, Mount Evans. But i didnt really know what exactly to bring...help out
>>
>>682991
What are you planning to do then?
Just an easy day hike? A hut tour? Multi day backpacking?

Busying equipment is usually not the first step you should do, especially not with the advice from a Tibetian woodcarving board.

Better define what you want to do, get some info on the essentials you'll need, check what you got already covered and then ask specific questions about gear that you might need.
>>
File: 20150627_143129.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20150627_143129.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
Op here
I want to do both day hikes and multi day hikes.
And what exactly is a hut tour? I've never heard of that
>>
>>682998
For Day hikes:
>Map & Compass
>Water & Food
>Good shoes
>Rain jacket
>good insulation layer (fleece jacket, woolen cap)
>lighter and pocket knife
>a small torch
>one of those alu blankets for car windshields (so you can sit down on cold ground)
>small first aid kit.
>photo gear

Check the weather in advance, bing a buddy or a t least make sure people know where you are going and when you will be back. I suggest you start here and build experience.

Hut touring is basically the same, just multi day and you sleep in mountain huts. Mountaineering organizations usually have huts, you can get the key for a fee. Advantage, you can still be fairly light, only pack a light sleeping bag, some hut gear and additional food.

Multi day is more difficult, your setup must match your activity, season and area. Like what shelter to bring, cooking kit etc. Also hauling gear for several days is tiresome, so packing light is key here.
Those items can cost a bit, and I strongly recommend to build some experience first. Also, join a mountaineering club, good way to make new friends and the oldtimers can give you more appropriate advice on gear.
>>
>>683002
Forgot sun protection on that list.
>>
>>682991
Fuck off, we're full.
>>
hiking to the top of a mountain=/=mountaineering

mountaineering requires technical climbing, probably has mixed terrain (rock and ice/snow) and a hell of a lot more gear.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.