[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Passed: Paris Accord on Climate Change & Emissions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 0
Source: http://nyti.ms/21X15IW

Negotiations went down to the line, but 195 countries have now committed themselves to limit emissions.

Scientific consensus is that the current agreement will only accomplish half of greenhouse gas emissions cuts necessary to prevent a catastrophe.

What's remarkable about the deal is that developing nations have also signed on to the cuts.

It's a good day to own clean energy stock.
>>
>>8392
At what point is it catastrophe? How much damage needs to be done? Because it's already impossible to stop the submerging of some island nations, and I imagine it's already too late to stop some damage to the food chain.

Also, fuck India and their insistence they're allowed to massively increase greenhouse gas output just because other countries did in the past. At least they'll be some of the worst hit from the fallout.
>>
>>8401
I think the catastrophe the scientists referenced in the article are referring to would be a "Day After Tomorrow- Scenario". I think a temperature hike exceeded 2° C would do that.
>>
>>8404

You're aware that a work of fiction, right?
>>
>>8392
>>What's remarkable about the deal is that it isn't binding and nobody will obey it except by accident because their economy is tanking.
ftfy
>>
>>8420
>You're aware that a work of fiction, right?
No, I had no idea. I believed it happened, and that if the condition I mentioned was met that it, or something like it, would happen again. I would hate to see that happen to NY City twice.
>>
>>8441
1. It is significant because representives from every country on earth agreed to work on reducing greenhouse emissions

2. It is significant because they have obligated themselves to present plans and improve upon their target every 5 years

3. Finally, it is significant because the auditing body that the agreement stood up has a mandate to humiliate nations that do not perform.

In the case of the US, the House doesn't have to approve, dismiss, nor even acknowledge the UN Accord, but at the end of the day they'll continue to pass emissions restrictions and invest in alternatives. If the new president is planning to suddenly stop the cuts i think most would agree that they'll now take a harder hit.
>>
>>8392
The only rational solution to this problem is nuclear power a la france. Any climate change activist that does not actively advocate for nuclear power nonstop is deserving of no more than mockery.
>>
>>8487
Why has the USA stopped expanding their hydro power-plants?
>>
>>8488
I remember hearing that we're out of places to put them.
>>
>>8487
You have to store nuclear waste and it's non-renewable. I don't hate it, and think we should work on making it more efficient and safe, because it's a relatively clean source of power when it comes to global climate. So I'm not like some climate activists are.

However, that's no reason to stop funding other, renewable sources of energy that don't produce waste products. Anybody not campaigning for a mixed energy infrastructure is an idiot.
>>
>>8539
That would produce so much fall-out that all humans would die.
>>
>Consensus
>>
>>8392
Ridiculous.
They are still trying to push these lies..
>>
>>8582
>>8745
If you alarmist, sandy vaginas are still having doubts then you're welcome to migrate to a more sympathetic state... Oh wait...
>>
>>8765
>global warming alarmists calling other people alarmists
Top kek.
>>
>>8875
>I'm not alarmist, you're alarmist
Global warming is now conventional wisdom and an assumed quantity in relevant risk assessments. At this point the people that continue to deny it necessarily assume global conspiracy. Therefore, the deniers have become the petulant, tard-baby, alarmist.
>>
>>9154
>>9154
>I am going to straw man an entire group of people to make my delusions stronger
>if you don't agree with it your LITERALLY a holocaust *science* denier
Psssha kid.
You're a global warming alarmist
>>
>>8392
>Scientific consensus

I've always wondered how the criteria for this is determined. Can you please explain for me anon?
>>
>>8392
>"clean" energy stock
Literally the biggest propaganda piece of the 21st century.
>>
>>8519
We have plenty of places to put them, it's just that most of them are in national parks and the National Park Service isn't going to let anybody else in.
>>
>>8488
Because you're terrible builders and they're all falling down
>>
>>9536
This.
Based Milutin Milanković
Yet to be wrong.
>>
>>9536
Is it? Thought milankovic cycles were a tad linger than you say, and somewhat more difficult to pinpoint to within ~10,000s of years
>>
>>9770
You should find a couple books over it and read up. Very interesting stuff, the mathematics and observations of it all. The man truly understood the earth, like he was an earthworm.
Serbians are also very proud of it.
However due to their lack of popularity and their complexity, it's like $300 for a book.

But yes, he predicted this modern warm period based on his orbital calculations, and has yet to be proven wrong.
>>
>>9773
I learned a little about him in geology alright. Thankfully back in university again so I'll check something out of the library
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 0

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.