[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Top Rwanda genocide suspect arrested in DRC
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/12/top-rwanda-genocide-suspect-arrested-drc-151210134442424.html

One of nine top fugitive Rwandan genocide suspects, a former mayor accused of crimes against humanity, has been arrested in the Democratic Republic of Congo, the United Nations has said.

Ladislas Ntaganzwa is accused of organising "the massacre of thousands of Tutsis at various locations", the UN-backed Mechanism for International Criminal Tribunals (MICT) said in a statement issued on Thursday, a day after the arrest.

"He was also alleged to have orchestrated rape and sexual violence committed against many women," the statement said. No details of his arrest were given.

About 800,000 people - mostly members of the minority Tutsi community - were slaughtered in the 100-days of violence in 1994, largely by ethnic Hutus.

Ntaganzwa, 53, is expected to face trial in Rwanda on nine counts of genocide, crimes against humanity and violating the Geneva Conventions.
>>
Though I doubt many are going to concern themselves with this article, I find it pretty interesting that they've caught this person after such a long time. Apparently the US had a decent bounty for his capture. I doubt we'll hear anything enlightening when he goes to trial, but I feel like the more press cases like these get, the more chance African countries that are willing to, can start to recover from past horrors and prevent further increases in conflict, especially ethnically motivated conflicts.
>>
>>8051
Could I move to Africa and make a killing getting paid for these Bounties? Are there alotta people like him running around, money waiting to be made?
>>
>>8050
so... how true is the official story? It portrays the massacre as one sided, but in reality we only have the word of the winners against no proper record, any attempt at investigation (like sampling those skulls there) is called out as genocide denialism, and the new president in office is US-backed.

Also, which side actually killed the previous president.

I find it very hard to believe that the genocide was so one-sided as the official story goes, and "innocent until proven guilty" only applies to whenever you are not obstructing investigation on the subject.
>>
>>8136
I've lived there. It's only getting worse. They used to mourn the genocide each year, but around 2010 they started shifting the language to say "the genocide against the tutsis".

I mean, it's true that mostly tutsis were killed, but many hutus were too. Current government is almost exclusively tutsi, which means there's no change from before the genocide. I'm willing to bet there'll be another civil war there within our lifetime.
>>
>>8169
please, explain anything you can about the political situation. I never get this chance.

Also, what is your relationship with the country? How did you end up there, and where is your family form?
>>
>>8171
Might take a while to respond, but this board moves slowly so it'll be fine. What do you want to know? I lived there roughly a decade, rather not share too many details because there were few enough expats that I'd be easily identifiable.

To give you an idea, a lot of things were kept quiet by the government. I only saw a second political party doing something in my last year there. A small rally in a village in the middle of nowhere, with a dozen people attending. Otherwise political opposition was killed off or exiled (such as a leader being "robbed" while he was found with a slit throat next to his car, with wallet and phone still on him), and the tutsi government rules Kigali. You're not allowed to disagree, so no one really knows if president kagame had a role in getting the ex president killed or not. We'll probably never know. There were attacks by people unhappy with the government. Grenade attacks and such, terrorist like. We only heard from friends who happened to be there, or through news from another country. The newspapers were heavily censored, so those things aren't officially known. Because they never happened, because Rwanda is recovering, and a great country, right? It's one of the economically fastest growing countries in Africa (I think beat only by Nigeria?)
>>
>>8179
Thanks. I'd love to ask peronal stuff, but I don't want to compromise you. Answer these at least, as far as you can:

How is being a hutu under this regime? Are they second class citizens, or do they treat everyone equally like shit? What I mean is, does the new government benefit the tutsis at all, or do they live in fear too? What is the aim of Kagame's rule? Just to get support from the US?

Regardless the political situation, is Rwanda's economy really recovering?

Lastly, during the killings, how common was it that people would claim to be hutu instead of tutsi? I've read that tutsi villager would take up in arms agains fellow tutsis and claim to be hutu to save their family's life. But can't you tell them apart, racially? Or do they look the same?
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.