[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Facebook Falls Back in War on YouTube
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: traffic.png (137 KB, 1499x885) Image search: [Google]
traffic.png
137 KB, 1499x885
>Over the past year or so, Facebook has made increasingly aggressive attempts to chip away at YouTube’s dominance in the world of short Internet videos. It hasn’t made a dent yet, according to one key measure.

>Sandvine, a networking company that reports on which services use the most bandwidth, just published its most recent numbers. YouTube’s share of U.S. Internet activity grew to 17.9 percent, up from 14 percent a year ago. Facebook’s share is only 2.5 percent, down from the 3 percent it claimed a year ago.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-12-07/facebook-falls-back-in-war-on-youtube
>>
>>7745
The graph is kind of odd.
Like, of course you'll have Netflix at the top because people will stream full movies on it.

Youtube is mostly shorter stuff.
I'm not so sure about the Facebook stuff, but isnt it mostly just very short Vine-style clips?

Its an odd way to measure popularity. It should be click based instead or something.
>>
>>7746
Facebook is stolen Youtube content.
>>
>>7746
Most Facebook vids (any "viral" ones anyway) are quite literally reuploads of Youtube videos, sometimes even by the same uploader. The Youtube ones always have way more views too, despitte it being quicker/easier to share on Facebook, which is the only reason viral Facebook vids are a thing at all.

Youtube is too big, it'll probably always be the go-to for user-created video content.
>>
I really wish some real competitor rose up to Youtube and provided some western alternative to that commercialized shithole. Maybe not facebook, though.
>>
>>8167
I hope so. I think a cool idea would be a chan devoted to videos. So not an imageboard, but a video board. It would keep the normies out and I don't believe a chan would turn into a commercial shithole.
But maybe someone some day could come up with a better idea.
>>
>>8005
>>7750
This.

Hell, a lot of the time, Facebook videos have been uploaded by people whoring for likes.
It actually has gotten to a point where some content creators have even given up.
Some of them are getting so pissed off at Facebook they are considering getting together and suing because they don't have a good enough system for searching and reporting videos.
>>
>>8173
A videoboard doesn't sound like a halfway bad idea, actually. As long as its given webm/mp4 support, decent filesizes (20mb?) and proper fileboard interface (so not /wsg/).
But it's not really what I'm talking about. I'm thinking about something more permanent, something you can save and share links to, with a "related videos" section and an option to subscribe to other people's uploads. Basically just Youtube, but without the shady business practices. Of course this is nothing more than a pipe dream, you could never out-youtube youtube.

>It would keep the normies out
You do know that the word 'normie' is used and beloved by "normies", right? That whole dumb /r9k/ meltdown broke mainstream like a year ago. Not that using 'normalfag' or whatever instead would've made this entire attitude any less stupid.
>>
>>7745
related video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7tA3NNKF0Q&list=WL&index=1
>>
Funny because once those ads came in, especially the ones that don't give you an option to skip after 5 seconds, I got less interested in watching YouTube. Long are the days of watching cute animals or "10 worst ways to die" endlessly. Not that I'm complaining.
>>
>>8253
>too stupid to use adblock
>>
>>8253
You should use Ublock origin.
>>
>>7745
>holocaust.vey
>>
>>8257
I was surprised. I bought a new laptop and forgot to install Ghostery/Adblock on it when I first got it. I was fucking amazed at how many ads there were on youtube. On some channels, it was 60 seconds of ads to watch a three minute video. What the fuck?

I'm sick of there being only one website for user-generated online videos. I came up in a time when people posted pictures to blogs they hosted themselves, and nobody put ads on it unless the author wanted there to be ads on it.
>>
>>8386
Google know they can fight adblockers. For now they won't, the backlash would be huge. But there will be a time you won't be able to dodge YT advertising networks.
>>
>>7746
That wouldn't work Facebook considers a view as something miniscule like 5 seconds and they auto play also
>>
I cant believe netflix is two times bigger than youtube considering there's a monthly fee and that all the video content from the internet is basically in youtube.
>>
>>8499
netflix isn't normally watched in 360p.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.