[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Uber orders 100,000 S-Class Mercedes-Benz driverless cars, deployment
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 1
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/142440/20160319/uber-reportedly-shopping-for-driverless-cars-but-ordered-100-000-s-class-mercedes-benz-ultra-premium-service-perhaps.htm

>Ride-hailing service Uber has ordered at least 100,000 autonomous S-Class Mercedes Benz cars, says reports.

>Autonomous cars are expected to hit the roads not before 2020 but they will save Uber a lot of money spent on drivers. According to sources familiar with the matter, Uber has been shopping for self-driving cars and has now placed orders with the German carmaker.

>"They wanted autonomous cars. It seemed like they were shopping around," says the anonymous source.

>Many vehicle makers have been working on fully autonomous as well as semi-autonomous cars and Mercedes is one of them. However, the company currently does not have any fully autonomous car on offer. Mercedes is hoping to launch its autonomous S-Class in 2020.

>In August 2013, Mercedes Benz developed an S-class limousine, which drove 103 kilometers (64 miles) between the German towns of Mannheim and Pforzheim without any input from the driver, which reflects the company's efforts towards autonomous car technology.
>>
>Analysts suggest that by 2020 the autonomous car technology market will be worth $25 billion. Companies may be ready to launch autonomous cars by 2020 but analysts believe that these cars will not make their way to the roads until 2025 or 2030 due to government regulatory hurdles.

>Individual countries and states in America have different laws for testing self-driving cars. In 2011, Nevada passed a law that allowed testing of autonomous vehicles there. Auto industry experts suggest that regulators are very likely to pass legislation for autonomous cars if these cars reduce pollution and congestion.

>The American transportation networking company operates in more than 50 countries and about 300 cities around the world but it is not making profits. Ordering more than 100,000 Mercedes S-Class sedans not only points at cutting driver costs but also highlights at the company's desire of offering ultra-premium ride to customers.
>>
>Neither Uber nor Mercedes has commented on the 100,000 Mercedes S-Class car orders. However, it is not a secret that Uber is also pursuing its own self-driving technology. Uber has also announced the expansion of its Pittsburgh facility, which will be used for testing driverless cars.

>Uber's business model relies heavily on drivers using their own vehicles. Ordering 100,000 autonomous cars is definitely a change of business model, which may help the company in reducing the cost-per-mile and also address the assaults made by Uber drivers on passengers.

>It is worth noting that German carmaker BMW has also revealed its plans to start a ride hailing service, which will compete with the likes of Uber.
>>
>>30230
I thought Uber was about the drivers?!
>>
Are driverless cars even safe yet? I heard about the Google one but do these things even work properly in daily traffic?
>>
there too many things that can go wrong with this,,

>collision sensor failure
>gps says that turn left
>car is on the bridge
>fuuuu.jpg
>>
>>30243
They've been doing pretty well. Certainly 2020 is a pretty reasonable goal.

>>30246
There are some problems, most will be worked out by 2020 likely. Others can have failsafes, like being able to ignore the GPS when the sensors show that there is no left turn.
>>
related:
https://www.inverse.com/article/12950-why-not-treat-self-driving-cars-like-the-faa-does-airplanes

http://www.buzzfeed.com/hamzashaban/lyft-google-and-gm-urge-congress-to-get-moving-on-autonomous
>>
There's this annoying cunt at my narcotics anonymous group who is an uber driver and always talks to his clients about not doing drugs. I hope these self driving cars arrive soon because this guy is fucking insufferable and should go crawl in a hole.
>>
>>30443
You can take heart that most Uber drivers don't know anything about this story. You should tell your NA 'friend'.
>>
>>30230
what a bullshit move.
might as welll flush those coins.
all thos seats willl be assraped. and al cars
tipped over looted and fucked apart.

any and all niggers wuill call them to the hood or outskirts and just start on them
shoould be illegal.
give them to young whites
>>
>>30446
Lyft, Apple, and Google are all getting into the same business, and GM, Ford, and several Japanese manufacturers are all hoping to sell consumer versions. I guess the theory is that if they flood the market all at once in 2020 then each company can keep abuse/crime on their fleet to a minimum because it will be spread out among all the companies.
>>
Isn't there some concern about these cars being hacked? Hell we saw a regular car get hacked, I can't even imagine what could happen with a driverless car.
>>
>>30451
Sad but true.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2016/03/18/fbi-nhtsa-warn-car-hacking/81970684/

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35841571

http://jalopnik.com/the-fbi-wants-us-all-to-know-just-how-risky-car-hacking-1765903286
>>
this doesn't change the reality

Uber cannot operate in EU

jews BTFO
>>
>>30230
>drove 103 kilometers (64 miles) between the German towns of Mannheim and Pforzheim without any input from the driver
So just on freeways. Great.
>>
>>30230
Is anything stopping someone from Keying these cars?
>>
>>30461
Meanwhile, deep in the forests of Bavaria...

http://www.bmwblog.com/tag/bmw-autonomous-car/
>>
>>30464
I assume they would have some sort of shutdown for unauthorized access. That and they've got to be monitored by multiple tracking systems including GPS.
>>
Im not sure dropping billions on cars at this early stage is entirely wise

we are at a point where the legislation isnt even there yet and is only close in a handfull of countries

BS if you ask me, someone is making a killing on uber/merc shares with this
>>
I recently saw a self-driving car and it was the coolest thing.
>>
>>30232
>assaults made by Uber drivers

Seriously? I mean, I know that I don't pay much attention to news in any field, but is this seriously a thing?
>>
>>30524
Maybe they are referring to the Uber gunman in Michigan from last month.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/03/14/accused-kalazoo-gunman-told-police-uber-app-took-over-his-mind-and-body/
>>
>>30480
This, it's like buying a VR set right now. Nearly all modern technology is hyped and rushed into production before it's ironed out enough. The CVS near my house has automated checkout machines, and 4/5 are broken in some way on a daily basis. It really feels like they fielded them before seeing what abuse they cold take. But hey, slower moving and annoyed consumers are more than worth the cost of paying cashiers, so who gives a shit.
>>
>>30480

Mercedes' driverless technology is really far along. They've already been selling S-Class with something like it for a few years now, under the name "Lane Assist". Its supposed to require the driver to keep his hand on the wheel but if you just put a thing on the wheel instead, you can take your hands off and it just drives for you. All they'd be adding is a way to input your destination, which the car already has since it has integrated GPS & navigation.
>>
>>30230
>It is worth noting that German carmaker BMW has also revealed its plans to start a ride hailing service, which will compete with the likes of Uber.

What a crock of shit. There is no news here, the whole article is basically a press release
>>
>>30540
I think if anything the news here is that Uber is going to be gradually but radically shifting their business model in the next 4 years. Same with Lyft, et. al.
>>
>>30242
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA et al.
>>
Marx's analysis of technology and material conditions strikes again
>>
>>30558
Fuck off retarded red

>I want to do meaningless busy work

Go burn a cotton gin retard
>>
>>30566
Dumbass. Marx wasn't a luddite and neither was that guy. He was just pointing out that a (as marx said) a lot of the time automation just puts workers out of a job without necessarily benefiting them in return (inb4 time-honored bullshit about creating the same number of more skilled jobs--if automation kept the same number of employment slots for a company open but made them higher-skilled and thus higher-paid, automation wouldn't be cost efficient) That's what's happening here, as work can be done more efficiently and more cheaply but that savings in labour isn't being passed on to the worker.
Fucking capitalists.
>>
>>30607
>if automation kept the same number of employment slots for a company open but made them higher-skilled and thus higher-paid, automation wouldn't be cost efficient)

For whom? Are you genuinely arguing that job creation can only occur in the firm where the labour is being cut? Are you a retard?
>>
>>30558
No it hasn't, technology has saved the economy and caused an increase in higher paying jobs.
>>
>Pforzheim
>mfw my shittown is mentioned on 4chin
>mfw no face
>>
Bruh people are going to be stealing these cars like no other lmao
>>
>>30650
>steal a car with gps and cameras all over it
fucking smart move retard
>>
>>30230
>Thanks for making us rich, drivers!
and then they all get let go in 4 years
>>
We're heading toward a society where no one has to work. Our challenge is to make sure everyone owns the means of automation so that resources aren't concentrated in the hands of the rich solely
>>
>>30607
>inb4 time-honored bullshit about creating the same number of more skilled jobs--if automation kept the same number of employment slots for a company open but made them higher-skilled and thus higher-paid, automation wouldn't be cost efficient
Are you an idiot? If I can automate the activities that add little value and can therefore employ my workforce on high value added activities I can increase my earnings many fold while only slightly increasing my costs and plus I have a nifty fiscal effect from those machines amortizations
>>
>>30443
i hate people at meetings like that
>>
>>30242
Capitalism lol
>>
Shouldn't they be trying to keep this confidential? They are, at the very least, 4 years away from driverless cars, and if was an uber employee, I'd start looking for a new job soon.
>>
>>30446
You will be paying with a credit card. So you will need a stolen card to take a car but you could do that already with rentals.
>>
>>30790
I don't think they really had a choice in the matter. It's proof of the old theory about keeping secrets when more and more people get involved in the secret.
>>
>>30531
Yes.
>>
kool a new board
>>30230
Irobot minority report here we come!
>>
>>30813
>kool a new board
We've been here for months.
>>
>self-driving car
>willingly giving away control over your own possessions
>your car decides to drive you to a mandatory paid check-up with the manufacturer because you haven't purchased enough Loyalty Points (tm) lately.
Yeah right.
>>
>>30230
>how to suicide your company

They were doing so well too...

Not only would I be scared shitless to get into a robo-car, they're going to leave 10,000 people jobless.

If you aren't a neo-luddite yet you ain't hip.
>>
>>30871

Uber ≠ possesions, the customer not owning the car is the whole point of their business model. They've been looking at driverless cars since inception since driver fees are a major operating cost for the company.
>>
>>30997
Great point Anon. Technophobes BTFO.
>>
Driving a car isn't really skilled or high precision labor though.
>>
>>30733
>automate the activities that add little value
It's not really the same. Some labor is just cheaper to have humans do than machines.
>>
>>31074
A personal chauffeur is considered a luxury.
>>
I can't wait until self driving cars get stoned in the hood. It's going to be so much fun.
>>
>>30668
Hold on to your butts, kids, cause that's exactly what's going to happen.

http://marshallbrain.com/manna1.htm
>>
>>30230
What does a driverless car do during a car-jacking?
>>
>>32319
shuts off so it can't be restarted except remotely?
>>
I can't wait for driverless taxis. Uber drivers have really gone downhill since the beginning.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.