[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Campus Crime Alerts Now Come with Trigger Warnings
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1
Preventing offense is more important than promoting safety.

If the purpose of a campus crime alert is to warn students about a dangerous person or situation, and the purpose of a trigger warning is to deter students from consuming information that might bother them—well, aren’t the two things in conflict?

And yet, the University of Iowa saw fit to add a trigger warning to a campus-wide email about a sexual deviant on the loose. Do administrators want to protect students’ bodies or their feelings?

According to The Daily Iowan, a man was spotted trying to videotape a female student while she took a shower in a dormitory bathroom. A police officer fought the man, but he escaped. The university’s public safety department then sent out an alert prefaced by the following disclaimer, according to The College Fix:

Trigger Warning: This warning addresses a report of sexual misconduct. Resources are available on and off campus to provide assistance. Contact RVAP for 24/7 support at (319) 335-6000 or at http://rvap.uiowa.edu/.

What followed was a description of the incident and instructions to students to contact the authorities if they had any information about the perpetrator. But if officials actually wanted students—victims of sexual misconduct, in particular—to be aware of the potential threat, they shouldn’t have warned them not to read it. As The Tab’s Matt McDonald wrote:

If there was a miscreant with an iPhone skulking around my campus trying to perve on unsuspecting freshmen, I’d want to know about it. I’d want to know my campus police force are working to keep me physically safe – not warning me off important information for fear of offending me.

https://archive.is/RkHrm
>>
>>24006
The problem is, and will remain, people who misuse or purposefully abuse the word "trigger" in reference to things that offend them. There's no hope left for society, it's been on a downhill slope for decades and the smartphone age has accelerated it to breakneck speeds.
>>
>>24022
*Triggered*
>>
>>24006
Following Missouri University as an example will lead to an unsafe campus.

>Trigger warning: There is an armed assailant and
>Trigger warning: she is of an
>Trigger warning: ethnic minority that is
>Trigger warning: short. The assailant is armed with an
>Trigger warning: assault weapon with a scope,
>Trigger warning: laser dot,
>Trigger warning: chainsaw, flashlight, front grip, dual mags, reflex sight,
>Trigger warning: suppressor and a tactical combat assault
>Trigger warning: knife.
>If your were triggered while reading this alert, please stop reading and forget the content of this alert and proceed to have a good day. You are the most beautiful, strong, healthy, smart, caring, perfect, flawless person alive and you are safe from
>Trigger warning: dangerous people.
>>
I am eternally triggered.
>>
Trigger warnings trigger me so they should be done away with.
>>
I don't see where they told anyone not to read it. They just warned people of the nature of the content, which I guess is pretty ridiculous, but still not the same as telling them not to read it.
>>
why the fuck are we even talking about this stupid shit? It's fucking stupid, why can't we just agree that this is fucking stupid. The fact that people are offended so easily and the fact that we give a fuck is stupid. This is all just stupid.
>>
People who are so privileged they think they have a right to never encounter anything that offends them trigger me. Seriously. I was an abused child and my abuser was a proto-SJW and seeing these entitled assholes spewing their crap and getting away with it just triggers the absolute fuck out of me.

Think that means they'll stop? Hah.

These fools are the greatest enemy of western civilization. They are consciously trying to destroy us from the inside.
>>
>>24091
you seem upset lol u mad bro?
>>
>>24091
You seem triggered.

Ignoring this and allowing them to set up rules and regulations caused this. They will enforce these rules upon others that will restrict your freedoms. We need to smack this down like Hitler bitch slapped the French.

Why does National TV censor vulgar language and all genitals and female nipples or representations of genitals and female nipples? Because the triggered gained power.
>>
>>24136
>the triggered

You mean Christians?
>>
>>24006
I'm triggered.
Why didn't you put a trigger warning?
>>
I thought I was on 4chan, but it appears I entered on tumblr unknowingly, silly me.
>>
>>24087
What do you think a trigger warning is? It's to keep people who are supposedly suffering from ptsd from reading/seeing certain things.
>>
I'm in uni and the feminist club are currently fighting school legislature that would require the school to report sexual crimes to the local police. I seriously can't wrap my head around their reasoning.
>>
>>24119
proto SJW? how does that work
>>
>>24200
the reasoning is that they should be able to convict and persecute the suspect without outside interference and most probably without due process. listen and believe, amiright
>>
Trigga warnin: iam pullin them triggers ta kill ya ded if u dun stap triggaring me SJW safe space misliberty overchecked underprivileged problematic troll trigger warnings.

Trigger warning: No triggers warned in safe spaces.

Attention: Pay no attention.

No playing football or handegg on soccer field.

Sandbox may contain other kids, remove with extreme prejudice.

Srly, I think the admin is doing a fine job putting trigger warnings on everything, just to troll them SJWs.
>>
>>24006
I thought "crime alerts" was enough of an (trigger) warning
its an alert about crime, not the weather, expect to see worrisome things
also how does "trigger warning: rape" put anyones mind at ease.. its like telling people who are tripping remember just dont think about spiders.. whatever you do dont think about spiders
... spiders
>>
>>24200
If they report it to the police, the police are required to investigate. If the police investigate, they could find out it was bullshit. If they find out it was bullshit, someone is on the hook for false report etc.

None of that helps in any way with their agenda, which is to maximize the reporting of sexual crimes for statistical purposes.

>>24211
Just think of Gloria Steinem. Google if necessary.

>>24213
Well they aren't quite that brazen yet, give them time. At present, they're aiming to drastically inflate the statistics on sexual assault against women, without actually having most of the reports subject to investigation.
>>
>>24075
I'm surprised that they haven't just altogether abandoned criminal identification adjectives, trigger warnings or not.

>Warning to all students: There is a criminal... somewhere on campus, who... um... committed a crime that was very offensive to... someone. This... uh, life form appears... potentially humanoid, and um... wearing clothes over most of their body. If you have any- What? What do you mean the nudists are... Seriously? Oh no. No, please, this is my career, I need to feed my family I- No, please!
>Update: I'm afraid I shall have to... step down from my position as head of security, as well as offer a sincere public apology to the nudist community on campus, as I had insensitively offended them with my last announcement. Have a good evening, and may this wretched, bloated society collapse sooner than later. Thank you.
>>
>>24006
life is a joke that's not funny any more, I can't believe the trigger warning shit became so real
>>
I haven't had to experience any trigger warnings so far, how common is this problem?
>>
Nothing wrong with trigger warnings. It is better than just banning conservative shit.

This way when something is right wing, we can just avoid it thanks to the warning. We will be happy because we don't have to see how stupid you are, and you will be happy because you won't have us telling you how stupid you are. It's win-win.
>>
>>24006
I go to a private university for law school
someone on campus got attacked and sexually assaulted one night, and the university sent out a campus crime alert that also included helpful tips like "be careful if you plan on drinking" and "travelling in groups is safer than travelling alone."

the next day we got a several page long email from the president of the university apologizing for victim blaming.

what went wrong with america.
>>
>>24294
What? Reporting a crime on campus isn't conservative.
Do you know what this is about at all?
I've been caught, haven't I?
>>
>>24006
nah
>>
>>24294
I hear circle jerking is fun with friends.
>>
>>24199
Unfortunately that's what it's been turned into. Trigger warnings ideally would be something to warn someone about the content so that they can mentally/emotionally prepare themselves for it. Fucking tumblertards overuse them and have made them worthless in the process.
>>
>>24588
Someone so maladjusted as to need a trigger warning on text should be institutionalized.
>>
>>24006

>Triggered nigger
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.