[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Having Won, Some ‘Brexit’ Campaigners Begin Backpedaling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 1
File: 27promises-web3-master768.jpg (106 KB, 768x512) Image search: [Google]
27promises-web3-master768.jpg
106 KB, 768x512
>With financial markets in turmoil, a big drop in the pound and the prospect of further chaos, some supporters of Brexit are backpedaling on bold pronouncements they made just a few days earlier. “A lot of things were said in advance of this referendum that we might want to think about again,” Liam Fox, a former cabinet minister, told the BBC, including when and how Article 50 — the formal process for leaving the European Union — should be invoked.

>Perhaps no promise was more audacious — and mendacious, critics say — than the £350-million-a-week claim. Boris Johnson, the former mayor of London who was the frontman of the Brexit campaign, toured Britain in a bus emblazoned with the slogan: “We send the E.U. £350 million a week, let’s fund our N.H.S. instead,” a reference to the country’s widely revered National Health Service.

>Hours after proclaiming “independence day” for Britain, Nigel Farage, the leader of the fiercely anti-European U.K. Independence Party, conceded that the £350 million figure was a “mistake.” Asked by the BBC on Sunday about the spending pledge, Iain Duncan Smith, a former Conservative Party leader who campaigned for Brexit, said the Leave side had merely promised “to spend the lion’s share of that money” on the health service.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/27/world/europe/having-won-some-brexit-campaigners-begin-backpedaling.html

This whole thing is comedy gold.
>>
>>53945
It's the EU's fault tho
>>
>>53945
idk why what nigel said about the 350 figure is such a big deal. It wasn't him to made the original claim and I don't believe he defended it before the election. Seems like that quote is being included everywhere in order to push a narrative.
>>
>>53949
>election
referendum*
>>
>>53945
>The EU shills are still in damage control, days after they lost
>>
>>53949
>Seems like that quote is being included everywhere in order to push a narrative.
Bingo was his name-o.
>>
He literally drove around the country with that quote.
>>
>>53967
farage drove around the country with the 350 quote before the vote?
>>
>>53945
Why is a New York organisation shilling for the EU and spewing outright lies to do it?
>>
>>53971

Because the vote is a mirror to Trump winning over here and they can't have that
>>
>>53971
>reporting the news
>shilling
>reality is biased
>>
>>53976
Yes anon, telling lies to make one side look good is shilling, the rest of your post is mindless babble attempting to bait me, grow up.
>>
>>53971
Jew York
>>
>>53949
He likes to claim how democratic his party is and how he's a man of the people , when in reality he just rahs about with no filter on his mouth making ridiculous claims. This is yet another example.
>>
>>54007
what ridiculous claim did he make this time?
>>
All of this supposed backpedaling reeks of fud.
>>
>>54077
that's why it just seems like they are just trying to push a narrative. farage never made that claim like they are making people think he did. this post here >>54007 seems to be eating it up since it seems to fit his attitude about farage
>>
Do we realize that for the next two years immigration will soar before we exit? I personally think that is hilarious as most people voted out to stop immigration. Serves you xenophobic fucks right!
>>
Great Britain, It was truly great, until we got hooked on modern neoliberalism too much. Privatising everything, prices going up services going down. British Gas, British Telecom, British Railway all turned into greedy entities working solely for the shareholders and company directors. Government Focused only on pleasing big corporations to build their offices in London, while stashing their money in the territories and moving their factories to the continent/ Asia.

Oh and immigrants go where there is work and prosperity, and now with even the offices in London threatening to move .....neither will be here, guess where all the immigrants will be going.

I fear even our own children will be forced to move abroad, because here there is no future to be found.
>>
>be me
>UK voting to leave EU
>52-48, close run
>Only Scotland, London, Wales & North Ireland wanted to stay
>Scotland now reconsiders staying in the UK
>Renember Scotland voted for independence and stayed, over fear of losing EU membership, amongst other things
>well shit
>Brexit supporters want to renegotiate terms of membership, instead of leaving, now that they have the EU board "In a tight spot"
>Are_you_kidding_me.jpg
>Cameron goes: "Fuck you ya twat, i quit, no EU for any of us you cunts"
>The british pound also drops tremendously in value
>topkek.png
>68% of voters to stay were 18-30y, 58% to leave are already dead next year.
>mfw Cameron Ragequit
>mfw Scotland is voting to leave. Again.
>mfw Brexit doesnt really want to leave.
>>
>>54097
>mfw, in a supreme pivot of historical irony, britain turns into ireland
>>
>>54094
Rasheed.
>>
>>54097
No future? Oh honey it's not nice to sound so stupid on the internet.

Open Europe, the biggest think tank in Europe of economy and politics and the European Commission data bank give us the following data: the maximum loss for the UK for the exit from the EU is of 1.5% of GDP, the maximum loss of the city of London, the large financial centre in European business, is 1.1% of GDP.

Europe exports to the UK ten times than what the UK exports in Europe. It will be very difficult for France, Germany, Italy and Spain etc to lose billions of exports by blocking the UK.

With the UK deregulated and outside of the EU has something like 2 billion potential customers in emerging countries.

It affects 0.4% of huge British companies.

Small and Medium British companies lose 760 million Euros each week due to the suffocating, Soviet and authoritarian bureaucracy of Brussels.

The £220 billion exports of goods and services to other EU countries were worth about 12% of the value of the British economy in 2015, and £230 billion or 13% in 2014. It’s stayed at around 13-15% over the past decade.
100% of its economy is blocked by the suffocating laws of Brussels.

London which could lose 1.1%, will be able to export 10% of the British GDP in the whole world.

In 1992 the UK was in a similar system to the EU, called the European Monetary System. They were kicked out. Everybody said: "It's the death of the UK". It was the day the UK, and London left for outer space.

The UK has gotten rid of the nomenclature, authoritarian which has humiliated all the national parliaments of Europe.

They are not scared of economic loss. They are scared of the loss of control over a neo-feudal, authoritarian and anti-democratic project called the European Union.
>>
>>54129
Wales wanted to leave though.
>>
Because we are still in the EU for two years and freedom of movement is still there. If I was from an EU country looking to come to Britain, now is the time before we can stop them
>>
Did people actually think they intended to redirect 100% of those 350M a week into the NHS? Because that's not even what it said on that bus in the first place.
>>
>>54147
>Open Europe, the biggest think tank in Europe of economy and politics
uwotm8
>>
>>54147
Holy shit, literally every single piece of information in this post is wrong.
>>
>>54360
Then refute it.
>>
>>54079
Farage didn't make that claim but members of his campaign did. That is why he is being criticized. It is basically voting for Trump because he promises to be tight on Muslim immigrants and then Paul Ryan saying there will be no such restrictions. You would feel misled by the campaign, not the person.
>>
>>54147
No, do your own research. But I will focus on the biggest lie in your post, particularly as it more or less refutes all other information in your post as well.
>Europe exports to the UK ten times than what the UK exports in Europe. It will be very difficult for France, Germany, Italy and Spain etc to lose billions of exports by blocking the UK.

53% of UK exports go to the EU, in contrast 6.6% of EU exports go to the UK. Sources: MIT Atlas and The Economist
I repeat 53% vs 6%
Do you understand how wrong you were? It is literally the other way round, the % of UK exports to the EU, is almost 10 times the % of EU exports to the UK as a total of their respective exports.

Obviously when 53% of UK exports go to the EU, the effect on the British economy will be nowhere near the bullshit figures you produced.

Also, I would like to highlight so of the sentences in your post that make no sense, just for the lolz.
>London which could lose 1.1%, will be able to export 10% of the British GDP in the whole world.
>The UK has gotten rid of the nomenclature, authoritarian which has humiliated all the national parliaments of Europe.
>>
>>54361
Not him, but your refusal to include Black Wednesday occurring when UK left the ERM is indicative of your bias. You make staying in the EU seem like impending doom, but you ignore any possible downfalls leaving could incur. You are doing the exact things you accuse your adversaries of doing.
>>
>>54366
M8, he wrote this:
>Europe exports to the UK ten times than what the UK exports in Europe. It will be very difficult for France, Germany, Italy and Spain etc to lose billions of exports by blocking the UK.

Now even if he had been lied to, or didn't remember the numbers or whatever, he would have seen that this scenario is completely impossible when the EU's GDP is $18.5trillion dollars and the UK's is just under $3trillion. It's like claiming that the U.S. exports more (as a % of its total exports) to South Korea than South Korea does (as a % of its total exports) to the U.S.
>>
>>54371
Therefore he's obviously incredibly stupid.
>>
>>54372
>People throwing a shitfit off of a pasta I got from /int/
No anon, you are the stupid.
>>
>>54375
>Posts idiotic bullshit
>lel just joking guys. lolitrollu yumad
>>
>>54378
You didn't get that from "oh honey"? God damn you really are stupid, but then you are a remain loser so it goes without saying.
>>
>>54379
See >>54378
>>
>>54381
See >>54379
>>
>>54382
>jokes on you I was merely pretending
>>
>>54147
>European Monetary System

The UK exiting the EMS in 1992 is hardly comparable, since it was breaking up at the time (Germany, the standard-bearer, was leaving and plans for the Euro were being drawn), and the UK only even joined in 1990. Terminating an economic agreement of 2 years can certainly cause some bumps. This time, however, Britain has been in this EU-genus economic and political alliance for 40 years.
>>
>>53945
Eventually England's elites will realize that a spontaneous 48/52% popular vote isn't worth ruining the country over. Relentless classism is their heritage so it'll be easy enough to agree "oh it's too hard" and "the vote was too close". Cameron is gone and Nigel will pull out as his net worth decreases. Stop calling it "Brexit" that's fucking annoying.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.