[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Supreme Court
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 0
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/06/23/supreme-court-blocks-obama-immigration-plan.html

The Supreme Court on Thursday blocked President Obama’s immigration executive actions, in a tie decision that delivers a win to states challenging his plan to give a deportation reprieve to millions of illegal immigrants.

The justices' one-sentence opinion on Thursday marks a major setback for the administration, effectively killing the plan for the duration of Obama's presidency.

The judgment could have significant political and legal consequences in a presidential election year highlighted by competing rhetoric over immigration. As the ruling was announced, pro-immigration activists filled the sidewalk in front of the court, some crying as the ruling became public. Critics of the policy touted the decision as a strong statement against "executive abuses."

"The Constitution is clear: The president is not permitted to write laws—only Congress is. This is another major victory in our fight to restore the separation of powers," House Speaker Paul Ryan said in a statement, adding that the ruling rendered Obama's actions "null and void."
>>
Oh well
>>
>>53131
oh well. sage
>>
>>53131
Did the justices say anything in corroboration with what Paul said?
>>
>>53279
I think (skimming CNN here) that the ruling was issued without any comment whatsoever owing to the 4-4 tie. No precedent set
>>
>>53154
>>53139
You both sound disappointed, why?
>>
They are really trying to cement that democrat voting block before his term is up ain't they?
>>
I understand Obama's sense of urgency, it can be seen as a humanitarian crisis, but he did rush this.

It's a tricky situation. We need to document these migrant workers, not just for America's sake, but for their own safety and human rights.

Yet we can't just gift them full citizenship. It's not fair to other immigrants who have been stuck in the bureaucratic mess of the current system gaining legal citizenship.

Immigration reform is long overdue.

Maybe there is some way to document these people as legal migrant workers, not full on citizens. Then from there they can appeal to become citizens.

We have to find some middle ground and we have to completely reform the sluggish outdated current immigration system.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 0

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.