[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Transparent Wood
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 0
https://www.kth.se/en/forskning/artiklar/kth-forskare-har-uppfunnit-genomskinligt-tra-1.638511

>Researchers at Stockholm's KTH Royal Institute of Technology have developed a new transparent wood material that's suitable for mass production.
>The optically transparent wood is a type of wood veneer in which the lignin, a component of the cell walls, is removed chemically.

also
>Wallenberg Wood Science Center
>Someone had a "Wood Science" center named after him
>>
>>48759
inb4 genetically modified mutant transparent wooden furniture
>>
>>48759
I legit thought the title was "transparent weed"

Damn you for getting me so excited.
>>
That's fucking awesome
>>
So like, solar houses that just take in sunlight from every angle?
>>
Science fiction will need to be updated to reflect the new future: high-tech elven tree cities.
>>
Go figure Ikealand would do something like this.
>>
Some countries focus on microchips and processors

Sweden focuses on Wood
>>
Guys, guys, this could change everything -- next time you want to conquer a city?

motherfucking STEALTH Trojan Horse!
>>
>"When the lignin is removed, the wood becomes beautifully white. But because wood isn't not naturally transparent, we achieve that effect with some nanoscale tailoring," he says.

>The white porous veneer substrate is impregnated with a transparent polymer and the optical properties of the two are then matched, he says.

Wait. Isn't this basically cheating?
>>
>>48919
what do you mean by "cheating"?
>>
>>48927
Im not him, but its not really wood is it? Its a wood mixed with a transparent polymer (i.e plastic)
>>
>>48759
>transparent wood
That is fucking racist,it should be black and brown wood to represent the multidiverse and ethnisexual new swedish society free of discrimination and retrograde inbred whiteness.
>>
But... why?
>>
dildo trees
maybe they can add color to
>>
>>48919
>>48927
Yes and no. You could say it's cheating because they put the wood through a process of addition and subtraction. However, you really must consider the future possibilities of this technology. As far as I can tell, this is the first time anyone's ever tried to make wood transparent, which means it has a lot of potential for growth and refinement over the years. You can't expect them to get it right the first time, it takes many years of refinement before technology truly comes into its own.
>>
>>48935
To the article's credit, they didn't say it was pure wood; they called it a wood material. It's like buying the cream cheese spread or butter spread at the store; it isn't a pure dairy product, but at least they're honest about it. Most wood products are mixed with other materials, but that isn't always a bad thing. Plus, it's likely that others will start working on how to make wood transparent without a chemical process.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 0

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.