[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dashcam footage of cop tasing, dragging, and dropping teen is unsealed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 1
File: Screenshot.png (578 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot.png
578 KB, 1366x768
>A federal judge on Monday unsealed disturbing dashcam footage of a suburban Kansas City, Missouri, police officer tasering a 17-year-old motorist who became brain damaged after what was billed as a routine traffic stop. That stop subsequently turned into an event of excessive force—resulting in a four-year prison sentence for Officer Timothy Runnels of the Independence Police Department.

>The video shows Runnels tase and yank Bryce Masters out of the car and down on the street as Masters howls. The boy was filming the officer with his mobile phone, which the officer flings to the street. "Am I under arrest? Am I under arrest?" the teen is overheard saying before he is stunned and grabbed from the vehicle.

>The officer drags the boy on the street like a sack of potatoes then drops him face first to the ground. During the brief 2014 incident, the boy, who was going to play Xbox with a friend, went into cardiac arrest and now suffers from brain damage. The traffic stop was based on a warrant from Kansas City, which turned out to be a mistake connected to the license plate on the vehicle the boy was driving. The officer claimed he also smelled marijuana and that the teen was being uncooperative.

>The boy nearly died and was placed in a brief medically induced coma. The stun gun discharged and hit the boy near his heart for 20 seconds. He can be overheard weeping as the officer drags him following the Taser hit.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/06/dashcam-footage-of-cop-tasing-dragging-and-dropping-teen-is-unsealed/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lfJ5WSpiWA
>>
>>48653
>only 4 years
Being run of the mill atrocity right there.
>>
Who watches the watchmen?
>>
Don't do it he crime if you can't do the time
>>
>He can be overheard weeping
kek ..pussy white boi
>>
>>48682
Compared to a shitskin who's final sound is that of air forcing its way out of their lungs for the last time?
>>
Holy shit. If the taser wasn't enough the way he dropped the lad was what caused the brain damage. RUNNELS, TIMOTHY we'll be seeing you soon... Keep setting that example America that's why we all 'like' you ppl
>>
>>48700
If you think a majority of americans believe anything about this kind of behavior is acceptable, you're mistaken.
Most will never even hear about this.
>>
>>48653
>resisting an officer while actually screaming "Am I under arrest?" and filming with you phone

I understand that a person may want to protest against being held by a cop with no reason, but I don't understand why would someone behave like that knowing that you live in a country where cops respond with excessive violence to everything. What is the worse thing that could have happened if he just complied? 1 hour of his time wasted?
>>
>>48680
the time being a cop using unlawful force against somebody? or having that happen then go to prison?
>>
>>48653
another case of non-compliance
if the kid did what he was told this wouldn't happen. He has the right to ask if he is under arrest but when the cop says yes you get out of the car. Kid got what he deserved
>>
>>48720
>As long as the person is breaking the law the police can use any amount of force they feel like exercising.
>>
>>48722
>officer tells kid to get out of car
>kid asks 'am i being arrested'
>officer says 'yes, get out of the car'
>kid doesn't get out of car, gets cellphone and asks again
>officar says 'yes' again and to get out of the car
>at this point the almost adult is resisting arrest
>officer holds the criminal by the arm, does not follow
>officer uses necessary force to remove him and subdue him with non lethal force
>cop is bad guy somehow?
>>
>>48725
yes, because the "non lethal" force was actually nearly lethal
>>
>>48726
>teaser is made to stop 300 lbs black man on drugs
>not ment to be shot near the heart

your problem isn't with the officer but the rating those weapons have to be ramped up too to stop some people and poor aim
>>
>statist cucks actually defend power drunk cops abusing their power and getting away with little to no punishment

Every fucking thread
>>
>>48725
In what world is slamming an unconsciousness teenager's face against the pavement "necessary force?"
>>
>>48731
how "misusing" a taser and having poor aim isn't his fault?
>>
>>48653
>The boy was filming the officer with his mobile phone, which the officer flings to the street. "Am I under arrest? Am I under arrest?" the teen is overheard saying before he is stunned and grabbed from the vehicle.

> He can be overheard weeping as the officer drags him following the Taser hit.

Even though this story is so fucked up, I couldn't help but laugh my ass off at the spectical of an "am I being detailed!?!" fag being tased and destroyed.
>>
everyone be a good goy and hate the police, they are your real enemy
>>
>>48735
*spectacle
*detained
fucking spell check
>>
>>48733
in burgerland :DDD
>>
>>48712
should have licked his boots while he was at it.
>>
>>48748
no
>>
>>48748
just get out of the car and politely pretend to understand why this faggot pretending to be policeman wants from you. In the end you just loose a bit of time and don't end up kissing the ground. You can protest later, when you are safe.
>>
>>48752
Not everyone that feels their rights are being infringed upon is willing to roll over because of a fear of retaliation.

For many people it's the principle of the matter and they're willing (or at least think they're willing) to face injury and death to uphold that principle.
>>
>>48754
Refusing to comply to that order is not in his rights (unless the order goes beyond the power of a policeman and this is not the case), the crime here is the excessive amount of force use by the policeman to force him out of the car. His right were infringed when he was shoot not before.
>>
>>48755
>Refusing to comply to that order is not in his rights (unless the order goes beyond the power of a policeman and this is not the case),
Yes, and? What's your point?

>the crime here is the excessive amount of force use by the policeman to force him out of the car. His right were infringed when he was shoot not before.
What does this have to do with my post?

I think you're misinterpreting my explanation as to why a person is willing to risk life and limb to uphold an ideal as a dispute with the law.
>>
>>48696
He ain't done nothin
Hes a good 'ol boy
He wuz fixin ta get his life together
He went ta 4H meetings every Thursday
He jus needed more money fer dem ADHD medications

:^)
>>
>>48758
It really comes down to the fact that this is the least effective way to stand up for what you believe in. Acting like this to a cop is just likely to get you hurt and decreases any chance of that officer seeing any disciplinary action unless you really do get hurt, like this kid did.

If you want to stand up for your rights fucking do it after the fact, it's more likely to yield results and less likely that you'll end up a fucking vegetable for insulting the pride of some thug.
>>
>people only pretend to care about this because the ''''''''''victim'''''''''' is white
>mfw

:^)
>>
>>48789
Defending what you believe in is not a game of efficiency for those that truly and vehemently believe in a cause or ideal. They fight for what they think is right regardless of scale, from an off the cuff remark from a stranger to a systematic failure of society. Logic doesn't apply.

Saying that the teen asking for the reason for his arrest is the least effective way to stand for what he believes in is completely subjective; and I would argue that had he complied with everything the officer said, would have led to absolutely no reprimands for the officer or create any awareness of the temper issues of the policeman. Effectively it would yield exactly zero results.

As a whole I don't agree with your statement that you should only fight for your rights AFTER they have been infringed upon, rather than during.

I also don't think standing up for your rights after the "injustice," rather than during, is more likely to yield results. Quite the opposite. But I definitely agree it's a fuckton safer.
>>
welp, time to get dragged into another one of these.

The kid certainly didn't understand his rights or the best way to deal with the situation he was in. His misunderstanding pissed off the officer we probably thought the kid was a huge asshole.

Then the officer handles the situation rather poorly. He jumps into physical force rather quickly with the kid rather than telling the kid whats going on and telling him why he needs to get it together. The officer tazing (for such a long time) and dropping the kid on his face were obviously done as punishments not to control the situation or for protection.

The kid should have known for traffic stops just be polite hand the cop your license when he asks for it and if he tries anything bring it up in court. The cop should have realized that simple force wasn't going to calm shit down and then tazing and tossing some kid like this was likely to induce injuries that officer couldn't explain away with any creative writing in his report.

The kid doesn't deserve to be fucked up for the rest of his life because he doesn't understand how to properly protect his rights and the cop should be punished fairly harshly for retaliating against an annoying kid.

>In the moment not after
yea this is a really dumb ass idea. its a good way to escalate the situation. unless the cop is trying jam his dick in your ass, deal with their bullshit, document it, and press charges/address it in court.

Not to mention, the rules for being pulled over are different than the rules for if one is just walking around.
>>
>>48790
Not really, if it also came out that the kid was black you'd just be hearing about it on national news and there'd be nationwide riots.

So 'care' isn't really a good measure. I care that a piece of shit cop just brutalized someone and left them brain damaged. The family should send him video documentation of their son's everyday life while he's in prison. Every week and if they're lucky the cop will kill himself.
>>
>>48725

Cop didn't say WHY he was under arrest. You can't just arrest someone for no reason
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwvEHpxoWrM

PENG PENG
>>
>>48811

US police seriously need to learn how to chill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mmwcpi0Dzk
>>
>>48809
Lawfag here.
Probable cause is all you need. Cop said he smelled of dope. That's an issue for the jury to decide but the force used by the officer of the peace was fucking excessive by any reasonable person standard.
>>
Yes, just do everything a cop orders you to, or be severely abused. living in murrica must be like living in nazi germany, just with more niggers.
>>
Try not getting arrested.
two steps
>Be inna nice neighborhood
>Don't be stupid
sadly most Americans fail one of these two SIMPLE steps!
>>
>>48680
You're drunk.
Go to bed
>>
>>48808
>>48790

I love all the 'ifs" as if you two can tell the fucking future. What else do your crystal balls have to say?

There are tons of things that happen in a nation of 320 million each day. Lots of things don't make the news. What makes the news and why? I'm not sure either you have done enough research (hurr durr, I read the news that is equal to doing a systematic study of what is printed and what isn't) to know exactly what variables create a story being more or less likely to being brought to the public's attention.
>>
>>48838
The word "if" was absolutely nowhere in the second post you quoted.

Settle down, sport.
>>
>>48813
Wait!! UK police are triggered by fireworks?!
>>
This is why im not a vegan
Fuck pigs
>>
>>48736
Cops are on the upper classes side, a large smount of which are jewish, /pol/tatd
All that christfaggotry roleplaying has really made /pol/s retarded beliefs even more inconsistent
>>
>>48822
Question Lawfag if a corrupt cop claims he smells weed is he allowed to barge in your home without a warrant? Happened to a friend recently and I havent found an answer
>>
>>48879
5 seconds on Google.
https://www.quora.com/If-a-police-officer-claims-to-smell-marijuana-does-that-give-him-probable-cause-to-search-your-car-house
>>
>>48826

Even in Nazi germany police was fairly resonable if you didn't happen to run into the fucking SS or happened to be a jew.
>>
>>48663
I approve.
>>
>>48972
>if you were not
So they were not reasonable.
>>
>>48653
Mm
>>
>>48653

I don't understand how police officers are serving and protecting in United States. This doesn't look like serving and protecting. This looks like a "legal thug," a police officer without any common sense taking out his rage on someone else's child. I mean he ruined the boys life and only gets to sit in prison for 4 years for it. I feel sorry for you US. You've come a long way and now you're going backwards. Why don't people of US do something about these human rights abuses on a larger scale?
>>
It's always sad to see police using excessive force, this is why most people don't trust cops but instead fear them. Even if you're doing nothing wrong it's common to be afraid of police in the USA.

I hate to say that I like this video, but it is important in that it points out a clear problem where most people think this kind of thing only happens to people of color (i.e. the black lives matter movement, which I agree is still a serious issue). In reality, white people can be victims too. Particularly young adult white persons.

Where I live, if you have long hair, are wearing baggy or "hip-hop" clothing, or even a tie-dye t-shirt, even if you're white, if you're under the age of 25 you can be profiled by police. It doesn't matter what your skin tone is. I grew up smoking weed with lots of white people, who looked like hippies. They almost all got stopped by police at some point, while walking or driving regardless of whether they were actually doing anything wrong. I was the lucky one because I generally keep my hair short and where clothing that makes me look decent, but I'm no better than anyone else.
>>
>>48755
he does have a right to know why he is being detained. So yes, his rights were violated.
>>
>>48653
Am I being detained, am I under arrest. The kid asked the right questions. The officer wasn't forthcoming when explaining the situation.

If he asked him to step out of the car because of an issue without reverting to caveman mentality it would have probably been ok. The kid did nothing wrong.
>>
>>49039
muh freedumbs!!
>>
>>48789
Yeah and rape victims should have worn burkhas /s

Wrongdoing lies solely with the cop.
>>
>>48735
"Am I being detained" is not an unreasonable question. Sorry if you like licking pig boot.
>>
groping 4 black women = 263 years
fuck up some kid's shit for life= 4 years

sjw society at work folks
>>
>>49281
>groping 4 black women = 263 years
>fuck up some kid's shit for life= 4 years

>sjw society at work folks

The punishment should be directly equal to how much outrage womyn feel about the crime, shitlord!
>>
>>48796
>I also don't think standing up for your rights after the "injustice," rather than during, is more likely to yield results. Quite the opposite. But I definitely agree it's a fuckton safer.
Yep, that's how piggery works. The citizen is faced with a choice of shoddy treatment or possible violence. A nation of people taking the safe option every day gets walked on by unbalanced blockheads with badges.
Then it's safer not to charge the cop who killed your son.
>>
>>48972
>Someone doesn't understand terrorism or dread
The Brownshirts would start streetfights with anyone who wasn't them and then call in reinforcements to stop them. Then let it be known they were keeping the peace. It's a valid tactic for political manipulation: create the problem, solve the problem, manage the reaction to the problem. Imagine trying to run a business or raise kids where thugs are smashing shit up on the regular, then swaggering around acting like they are the reason for anything good happening.
This middle school worship of Nazis and Vikings is getting stale.
>>
>>48682
Try getting tased and see if you can take it.
>>
>>48725
Yes. It was unnecessary to drop the guy face first on the ground after "enforcing the law" on the wrong guy.
>>
>>48725
>this bait got me
you don't taze someone so small for 20 seconds. He learned this when he learned to use the tazer. He fucked up. Honestly serves him right, I hate cops that get all pissy about the stupid fucking window not capable of rolling down all the way.
>>
>>49542
Like dont fucking worry about sticking your hand in my car, I'll reach out to you. Fuck is this hard for them to grasp or somethin.
>>
>>48682
>implying anyone wouldn't piss themselves after being tased long enough to be put into a coma
>>
>>48725

(you)

kys copsucker.
>>
>>48733
That there be like a whoopin witout dem there spikes on the end of da whip you stoopid biatch!!!
>>
>Literally dindu nuffin

Where is the outcry? Oh, he's white so it wasn't racist, let's not worry about that.
>>
>>48789
>it really comes down when it comes down.
>why didnt the officer just hit start+a+b+select?

Wtf...brain damage from electrical shock...public masses would NOT mind seeing that in their cereal EVERY SINGLE morning...the screening proccess for this job just got easier!
>>
>>49311
>try

Well, in BLTitsville here, trying shouldn't even be a question, right? Plus...PLUS...anon posted a link to the "how to" already!?
>>
>>49039
Why don't people do something? People do something about it; the media attention is part of that. These are not common incidents relative to the size of the population, which is why they get so much media attention.
I think the sentence should be harsher than what this officer received, however.
>>
>>48789
>it's more likely to yield results
Yeah. How does that scenario play out in your head?
>officer detains the wrong person
>later, hopefully, the retarded cops unfuck themselves and realize they have the wrong person
>kid is released, hopefully
and then? You think this would lead to a serious review of the police procedure for whatever bureaucratic wires were crossed to cause this? They're minor inconveniences for a department because there are no repercussions beyond paperwork, but could be life-altering for everyone else involved. There's no incentive for the police to do anything differently in your scenario.
Meanwhile, the unprofessional officer would still be working.

"Oops" and "shit happens" are inadequate when one's very job is enforcing the law.
>>
>>50299
>File suit for wrongful arrest
>Municipality goes "oh shit, my bad"
>Shit rains down on local cop from up on high
>You get paid

Seriously? You've never heard of the legal system?
>>
LOOK OUT CHIEF WIGGUM IS DISGRUNTLED!
>>
>>50333
>Municipality goes "oh shit, my bad"
pays lip service to media for a couple weeks until everyone forgets
>Shit rains down
yeah that couple of months suspension with pay will be pretty brutal I would feel terrible about that
>You get paid
with taxpayers' money or from some insurance fund, which has nil effect on the department

i.e. nothing changes
>>
>>50338
Well then I give up, what's your solution?
>>
>>48813
damn the fatty cop really got triggered by that doughnut joke
>>
>>50345

There is no real solution and that's what he's trying to highlight. Yes, nominally, there is legal recourse but everyone who isn't intentionally filtering out certain information knows the police rarely face punitive action even in extreme cases of excessive force. It can be seen mostly as a charade, I think judges/police see it as law enforcement Vs. some random civvie.

Furthermore police are wont to lie on the stand (known as 'testilying') and, though this isn't readily verifiable with any evidence on my part (anecdotal or otberwise) I'd imagine that considering the police and the judges often work closely together it could play into their often lenient rulings in cases involving police misconduct.
>>
>>48712

THe kid was following the instructions of his father, who was also a police officer for the Kansas City police. This only got prosecuted, ultimately, because his father was KCPD.
>>
Link below, very in depth write up. About half way down, it goes into the nature of Bryce's brain damage. It also goes on to discuss the perspective his father, Matt, who's also a cop, both before seeing the video:
>“I still get what cops go through, the decision-making process, the damned if you do, damned if you don’t process,” Matt said. It was easier for him to view Runnels’s actions as an error of judgment exacerbated by ignorance. “It goes back to the way he was trained. Because you’re only as good as the training.”
>“Do you feel sorry for him?” Stacy once asked, referring to Runnels. Matt took his time, doing his best to weigh a year’s worth of soul-searching. “Yeah, I kind of do,” he concluded.

and after seeing the video:
>Matt had such visceral feelings of loyalty and camaraderie toward his fellow officers that he’d previously been comforted by the assumption Bryce was somehow at least partially culpable for what happened to him. That faith had allowed him to rationalize Runnels’s actions, but there was no rationalizing what was on that recording. It was deliberate, cold, and devoid of empathy or humanity. “I don’t understand, when you watch that video, how you could treat anybody’s kid that way.”
>When asked if he still has faith in the system, considering that Runnels is one of the rare officers to face criminal punishment for using excessive force, Matt shakes his head no.

Also goes into systematic issues, like police ignorance/manufacturer dishonesty about the effect of tasers.

https://theintercept.com/2016/06/07/tased-in-the-chest-for-23-seconds-dead-for-8-minutes-now-facing-a-lifetime-of-recovery/
>>
>>48872
That's our White House.

Some guy tried to blow it up with a firework one night.
>>
>>48789
>the least effective way to stand up for what you believe in
>if you want to stand up for your rights fucking do it after the fact

White person who has never stood up for their rights in any meaningful way detected.
>>
>>48789
But surely you're aware of how many people have been killed from police brutality, and whose families did not get justice "after the fact".
>>
>>48805
Good post. Apparently there is at least one adult in this thread.
>>
>>48805
>>50513
Consider for a moment that, just maybe, the officer's actions wouldn't have been appropriate behavior even if the kid had been guilty of something.

This could have been the first time he cut loose on someone. Given the relative banality of the situation, that seems doubtful; he was a piece of shit, regardless of this specific situation.
>>
>>49075
After he has been arrested, yes. Before actually being secured and taken into custody, not so much.
>>
>>48822
he was pulled over because of the government thought that there was a warrant with that vehicle but there was none. its common knowledge to anyone with an average iq that cops probable cause is rarely a legitimate claim but instead a legal step they must take in order to justify what they are trying to do. Another example of something like this is "keep your hands out of your fucking pockets!" or "stop resisting" the latter in order to cover them if they get hurt during the arrest the former to cover themselves to justify taking an action against them if that happens.

>>48809
the kid knew this as well and in order to cover himself he knew that in order for the cop to arrest him, he (the cop) would have to give a reason (even if it is bogus claim or not) he knew he could not just be assaulted from his vehicle.

>>48720
you are wrong. you are spineless and you get what you deserve when you say things like this the logical conclusion is that you are fine with the idea that you don't really own anything or yourself. If everyone believed as you do the government would be far more tyrannical, worse than even hitlers germany.
Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.