[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Two guys with blades attacked cops
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1
File: copss.jpg (429 KB, 683x1024) Image search: [Google]
copss.jpg
429 KB, 683x1024
JOENSUU, FINLAND. 5/15/2016
Two young males aged 21 and 23 attacked a police patrol investigating disturbance in downtown Joensuu city. One of the men was carrying a 2 foot sword while the other had a knife. Each cop in Finland carries a 9mm handgun and in the patrol car there is also an MP5 but the officers chose to deploy mace instead and succeeded in disarming the thugs. The two assailants are suspected of atttempted murder, attempted assault and causing damage to property (the police car)

Source (in Finnish): http://www.hs.fi/kotimaa/a1463278564308
>>
>>44839
>the officers chose to deploy mace instead and succeeded in disarming the thugs.
Why in the world was the offender not shot?
Pepper spray has been known to fail.
>>
>>44875
because it didt happen on american soil
in europe its uncommon for the police to use their guns to hurt people
police will often attempt to apprehend anyone doing a serious crime then figure out what caused it and then pass the perpetrator onto an appropriate authority help resolve the matter

TLDR; police in europe not trigger-happy
>>
>>44875
Because they are trained.
>>
>>44889
>letting a man with a knife and intent get close to you
Lmao @ Finland
>>
>>44839
That was a real risk those cops took.

Here in the US those kids would have been stone cold dead.

Kudos on the Finns for having an actual police force rather than a bunch of crying pussies like we have masquerading as cops here.
>>
>>45339
This. Maybe instead of hiring men with ego complexes and steroid addicts, they hire public servants?
Memphis Tennessee police had a bad reputation for strongarming tourists because of language barriers and the local tourism suffered from it. Even the Presley estate was pissed.
Then they hired beat cops with sociology degrees and it smoothed itself out...
>>
>>44893
>being scared of a man with any length of blade
>has no close combat training
Lmao @ cowards
>>
>>44839
i get the whole "little dicked overly aggressive cops are bad, mmmkay" thing but it sounds like they missed an opportunity to take out the trash here
>>
>>45339
>Kudos on the Finns for having an actual police force rather than a bunch of crying pussies like we have masquerading as cops here.
Are you referring to America, or Sweden?
>>
>>44893
>make murica look like dumbshit cavemen again
>>
I'm a police officer in America and while I'm glad this worked for these fine officers, I would still never take a chance with pepper spray or my taser when there is a deadly weapon involved.

As another poster has said, spray (and tasers) are known to fail. Sure, it works most of the time, but I'm not betting my life on "most of the time." Some people don't have any reaction to spray, especially if they are on drugs. Same thing can be said for tasers.

Do you know how easy it is to close the distance on someone even when you think you're pretty far away? You won't have time to switch to another tool on your belt if pepper spray or taser fails. Sprinting forward is a lot faster than back pettaling.

For the dramatics, I'm not saying I'd shoot the guy the moment I arrive on scene. But if he/she charges me, then they are getting two to the chest.
>>
>>45459
you actually sound like an LEO.
While we weren't present, I've noticed the media usually fucks up these sorts of things, calling an attempted intercept a pursuit and so on.
If one officer was covering the suspect with firearm while another used taser to subude, that would have been safe.
Like in a self harm scenario.
But even considering that, sounds like they put alot of faith in their OC spray.
>>
>>44839
that's a fuckload of restraint

don't think i'd risk my life trying to disarm delinquents using non lethal force
>>
>>45459
Trained and unarmed man > idiot with any kind of meele weapon

I mean serisouly most of matrial arts and selfdefence techniques were designed for this kind of scenario. As cop you should be trained for that.
>>
>>45459
Why not one to the leg?
>>
>>45553
can't discharge your weapon unless you fear for your life, therefore if you actually feared for your life deadly force would be your response. if you shoot to wound obviously your life wasn't in danger.

you can thank lawyers for this
>>
>>45561
I didn't know that. I think I've been misunderstanding police shootings for years then.
>>
>>45459
i was tazed multiple times during a dust up with the cops when i was younger. it was very unpleasant but not even close to incapacitating. i was still able to fight as hard as ever. i always wonder about the videos of people stiffening up and falling over. that certainly was not my response.
>>
>>45546
Hell no, if you are really certain then try to stop a mate from getting you with a paintbrush, guy with a knife wins every time

>>45553
Unreliable
>>
cop uses taser, suspect still able to get off a shot killing the officer

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/news/crime/2016/02/06/officer-shot-killed-downtown-seaside/79921212/
>>
>>45562
The law defines “deadly physical force” as physical force that can be reasonably expected to cause death or serious physical injury (CGS § 53a-3(5)). It defines “serious physical injury” as physical injury which creates a substantial risk of death or which causes serious disfigurement, serious impairment of health, or serious loss or impairment of the function of any bodily organ (CGS § 53a-3(4)).

legally speaking, shooting for the leg or head or even pinky toe are all uses of deadly force because it can be assumed that a bullet wound to any part of the body can be lethal, especially without immediate medical treatment.

hate the lawyers not the cops
>>
>>45566
Ok, confronting someone with a gun is infinitely more dangerous than someone with a knife. In that scenario lethal force is completely understandable.
>>
>>45569
actually the officer didn't realize the suspect had a gun. he only used his taser because the man was resisting. in this case i would say the officer used poor judgment and didn't correctly control the situation.

i only point this article out to show that this man was able to pull out a concealed weapon, aim, and fire it all while being tazed.
>>
>>45546
A cop should be trained to have cat like reflexes when someone comes at them swinging with a two foot blade?
Life isn't a movie where you can go Jackie Chan on a bunch of bumbling idiots with weapons.
>>
>>45546
does LE training teach you to deal with a sword slash to the face?

These dudes were lucky.
>>
>>44875
Ideally for questioning, you can't really interrogate the dead.
>>
They would have been shot 20 times in America
>>
>>44889
THISSSSS
>>
>>45576
If you've ever seen the average European police, and I have seen them in most countries of Europe, you would immediately know the difference between them and US cops.
>>
>>45546
I feel like the other people that replied to these posts have said enough. Life isn't like the movies. The smallest mistake will leave you wounded for life. Not worth the risks.

>>45553
If you use your weapon, that is deadly force. Only used to kill. If the police introduce shooting to wound only and the person ended up dying, imagine all the lawsuits to follow. You can certainly try, but hitting a moving target in the limb is rather hard. Plus you want to not risk crossfire or bullet ricochet.

>>45563
This. I was tased as part of my training. The moment the "ride" is over, then you have control over your body handed back to you no problem. After my ride, I was able to stand up no problem and do pull ups.
>>
>>44890
Training is literally for idiots.
>>
>>45737
I think we've found The Trainer.
>>
>>45440
>Somebody is rushing you with a blade
>Very likely to kill you if he makes contact
>"Don't be le meanie pants, just pepper spray him and hope for the best!"
>>
As much as I hate cops, Finnish Cops are probably paid better to risk their lives. Average murrican small town cop makes 9$ an hour
>>
>>45546
>martial arts
lol
>>
>>45738
I think he means that training is meant to teach clueless idiots. Smart people don't necessarily need it, other than to explain specific rules.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.