[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
RIP.swf: "Adobe Flash" is now "Adobe Animate"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1
File: flash-is-dead-220x330.png (162 KB, 220x330) Image search: [Google]
flash-is-dead-220x330.png
162 KB, 220x330
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/flash/adobe-kills-flash-name-rebrands-animator-friendly-animate-cc-124189.html

>With the Flash name now a liability in the tech world, Adobe announced today that it will kill the Flash name, in deference to the emergence of HTML5 as an online video standard, and reintroduce the software as Adobe Animate CC in January.

>Adobe says that the rebrand is “much more than just a name change” and unveiled a new video today in which Michael Chaize, principal Creative Cloud evangelist, explains some of the new features in Animate CC:

>At first glance, Animate CC seems to be more animator-friendly with Illustrator-level vector art brushes and less focus on website banners and buttons. The Capture CC app also looks promising as a way of quickly translating line art to vector, though it lags behind animation software like Toon Boom Harmony, which has those capabilities built into the program.

>Adobe, for once, is even pushing the fact that its software can be used by broadcast animators, citing in today’s announcement that Flash is “widely used in the cartoon industry by powerhouse studios like Nickelodeon and Titmouse Inc.” While the claim is not untrue, it should be noted that most Nick shows today are currently made in Toon Boom. [...]

Another nail in the coffin. ;_;
>>>/f/2966652
>>
>>4320
I was gonna make a comment about going back to ShockWave, but Adobe owns that as well.
>>
>>4320
Finally.
>>
>>4320
Do you think they will rename /f/?
>>
>>4342
let's have a look at our options
>/a/
guess not
>/an/
guess this is a problem too
>/aa/
it could be a hangout for alcoholics too
>>
>>4347
It would be funny if they renamed it something absurd like /Adobe™ Animations®/, if even only on April Fools Day.
>>
>>4347
/f-an/ is a possibility
>>
>>4342
>>4342
lol when has anyone posted new content on /f/? There won't stop being flash files
>>
>>4320
This isn't unexpected, and it's what they should have pushed like 4 years ago. Flash stopped being particularly relevant for web-content a while ago, while it's still got a pretty decent animation workflow.
>>
They need to remove everything internet and streaming related from flash first. The reason for its bad is its ability to leak information.
>>
So long ass noscript still works I don't care.
>>
/f/ here.
There's been a "FLASH IS DEAD" article every two months for the past 5 years, and so far it has yet to happen. Flash will be alive as long as html5 continues to be a useless slog and a fucking pain in the ass to code/animate in (which is going to be a long time, seeing how the standard been finalized like a year ago). There are still many things that html5 and other alternative just can't do, or can't do as well and as easily as flash can.
For better or worse, flash is with us to stay.

OP's article is literally nothing, btw. Flash CC already had html5 support (and it was fucking useless there too). The fact they still focus heavily on animation and classic AS flashes will still be around show this is just a rebrand.
>>
>>4320
https://gifsound.com/?gif=https://media.giphy.com/media/xTk9ZNb9rkwBJPYrf2/giphy.gif&v=D1MkNKvF7x4&s=85

This is the future of the community in my opinion.
>>
>>4548
As long as there is one autistic spammer, flash will always be alive.
>>
>>4320
And stay in peace!

Thank the Lord for this.
>>
>>4320

>tfw there will be a time when flash is completely gone
>tfw when you realize you can't play flash games anymore

Wonder what Newgrounds is going to do with all this.
>>
>>4734
Hopefully shumway will probably become default or something

Though, it's probably about time that many sites switch from flash, considering that there always seems to be some massive exploitation every hour. For some reason, Amazon music hasn't changed over to HTML5, which is perplexing since Amazon is a huge ass company, you'd think it would be high priority.
>>
>>4465
I just want to point out that this is wrong.

http://i.4cdn.org/f/bluenow.swf
>>>/f/2967295

Also, small "safe" packages with interactivity isn't possible yet with html5.

/f/ for life.
>>
>>4320
RIP Macromedia ShockWave
>>
>>4743
Companies don't switch to html5 because html5 is a buzzword piece of shit.
Streaming content, for example, is one of the many things flash does easily while html5 takes a fuckton of JS bullshittery and probably some server-side tweaking just to get working. And then the results are always worse than what'd you get with even a simple default player embedded in the swf.
It took youtube years to bring their html5 player to level worth using, and it still works decently only on chrome, and even then it's slow, hoggish, and ridden with bugs.
>>
>tfw post-2007 Internet and Smartphones have virtually killed the old Internet

All of the great old free flash games have been replaced with greenlit games made in Unity and the old great flash videos have been replaced with terrible youtube content.
>>
>>5463
I was trying to come up with ways to turn your comment into the typical old man yelling at the kids to get off his lawn but that's pretty much spot on.

Much of the top of youtube is admittedly awful, much of it is simply repackaged memes that are made to be both marketable and safe. There is some really good stuff on there under the surface, but the game has changed so much from being about what the content is instead of who is creating the content.

Some of the YTP is reminicent of old colin mochrie flashes or bearhello.swf type shit, but a lot of the novelty of the old internet is just gone.
>>
>>5463
>>5500
Welcome to Web 3.0. The internet isn't a place for people to go anymore. It's a utility now. It's a concept you don't have to understand to use and is open even to people who don't care about it.
>>
>>5146
Well, I'm not touching Flash again if it's just going to be exploited like hell, and I have to be subjected to panic of "Flash has been hacked!"
>>
>>4320
well I suppose this is goodbye forever Macromedia
you were cool
>>
>>5463
>>5530
You reek of newfaggotry and underage.
>>
Halle-fucking-luyah.
Too bad any competent animator already moved on to ToonBoom/TV Paint, but it's something!
>>
>>>/f/ forever
>>
>>4320
This is misleading. The production program (e.g. Flash Professional) is being renamed to Animate because it no longer produces only flash. The flash format and plugin will continue to exist. Flash is not dead. This is a story written by an idiot and posted everywhere by idiots.
>>
>>5500
Niconico Douga, an Japanese video site which panders to the Japanese equivalent of the 4chan demographic, has survived without selling out, and has been virtually the same since 2008 by doing one thing: Premium accounts which cost $5/month.

It allows the site to be lucrative without pandering to advertisers, and otaku will pay for lossless upload quality, a good tagging system, a high tolerance for offensive content, and a good relationship with the username.

Voting with your dollar is oftentimes a sham, but online, where the competition is not always necessity, it can work.

Western examples include Patreon artists, Private Trackers, small projects like cock.li, and others.

It's hard to be lucrative in such a position, though.
>>
>>5986
>has survived without selling out, and has been virtually the same since 2008 by doing one thing: Premium accounts which cost $5/month.
You sure Hiro didn't sell the data from his search engine?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0nuQ5o2DYU
>>
>>4347
/fla/ maybe
>>
>>6410
https://i.warosu.org/data/jp/img/0128/98/1420992213658.gif
>>
>>4347
>hangout for alcoholics
Implying its not already
>>
>toon boom
god damn I wish this meme program would die already.

It's terrible compared to flash. Brush smoothing is fucked to hell and back and so much is worse.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.