[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Drink or Fail – Chinese Students Forced to Down Hard Liquor
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 1
File: 1432592756645.jpg (70 KB, 640x629) Image search: [Google]
1432592756645.jpg
70 KB, 640x629
A college professor in China has been suspended after giving his students a rather controversial test during their final exam. In a bid to prepare them for real life, he asked his students to gulp down glasses of baijiu, a Chinese liquor, grading them based on how much they were able consume.

“You’re all going to do sales jobs after graduation, drinking baijiu is the thing you must learn!” Gu Ming told the students of his Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) class at Guizhou Anshun Vocational Institute. He had poured the alcohol into dozens of plastic cups and laid them out on the desk in his office, asking his students to drink up.

“Those who ‘ganbeied’ (finished) a full glass of liquor get a full 100 mark for their exam, half glass gets 90 marks, and a sip gets 60,” one of Gu Ming’s students later posted on Chinese social media website Weibo. “Those who do not drink at all will fail.”

It sounds like the easiest exam ever, but it was actually quite difficult – baijiu is a rather potent beverage made from grain, with an alcohol content of 40 to 60 percent. But Gu Ming apparently decided to give it to his students anyway, because it happens to be the beverage of choice in the Chinese business world.

Photographs uploaded to social media showed that most of the students passed the test with flying colors, having managed to down their glasses of baijiu. Several students were later reported to have been found in an inebriated state on campus. If the test was intended to be a joke, the institute’s deputy director Fu Guisheng did not see the humor in it, suspending Gu Ming over the issue.

The incident also did not go down well with others outside the institute – it sparked an intense online debate with many lashing out against the professor. Only a few sympathized with him, stating that he was trying to help his students.

http://www.odditycentral.com/news/drink-or-fail-chinese-students-forced-to-down-hard-liquor-to-pass-exam.html
>>
gooks are lightweight drinkers
>>
>>41618
Gooks? Did you fight in the Korean war? lol
>>
>>41618
I know this is story is from China but half of Korea's population are borderline alcoholics. And Baiju, the Chinese liquor, is typically stronger (more like moonshine) than western liquors.
>>
>>41625
Are you 16?
>>
>Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) class
>“You’re all going to do sales jobs after graduation, drinking baijiu is the thing you must learn!”
I don't see the problem with adding more horseshit to a horseshit curriculum. They went to school to read tea leaves ffs.
>>
>>41625
Possibry
>>
>>41632
>alcohol content of 40-60 percent
Most bourbon you can buy at a liquor store in the US is 80 proof. It's really not much stronger than any alcohol you can already buy in western countries.
>>
>>41780
Wild Turkey, if you get the good stuff, is a little over 50% abv.
>>
>>41611
Baiju is fucking disguisting, damn
>>
>40 to 60 percent
>potent
Bahahaha

>you will never get an A for drinking
Kill me
>>
>>41618
Not true for the Koreans. They have a reputation for always being drunk/hungover. They're like the Irish of Asia, except worse.
>>
>>41716
>>Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) class
>>“You’re all going to do sales jobs after graduation, drinking baijiu is the thing you must learn!”
>I don't see the problem with adding more horseshit to a horseshit curriculum. They went to school to read tea leaves ffs.
This
>>42328
Also, this ;_;
>>
>>41618
Implying you wont get drunk from drinking a full glass of 40-60% alcohol
>>
>>42516
Not that poster, but yes, I would.
But I can also hold my liquor.
It also doesn't say they had to chug it, so there's no reason you couldn't sip that over the course of 2-3 hours.
>>
Pure vodka is 35% to 40%, it's already not easy to drink without making a face (unless Polish, Irish, alcoholic/heavy drinker or edgy troll.)
I don't imagine baijiu to taste as "good" as vodka, and it's stronger.

Now, training to drink without making a face makes sense if your job is based on drinking with other businessmen. Politicians often fake-drink when making a toast, they can't be tipsy, some bartenders too.
There is a first SJW problem here (mainly for recovering alcoholics), society often forces you to drink or look unreliable, weak, etc.

A full cup like at the back of the picture is more than 10 units (about a glass of any alcoholic beverage served in its usual glass in a bar/restaurant.) That's a lot, enough to put you 5 times above the driving limit.
At least these kids learned what drinking too much feels like.
>>
>>42554
>Pure vodka is 35% to 40%, it's already not easy to drink without making a face (unless Polish, Irish, alcoholic/heavy drinker or edgy troll.)
I don't imagine baijiu to taste as "good" as vodka, and it's stronger.
Have you tried...not being a pussy?
I'm drinking straight vodka right now, and I used to drink WT 101 neat.
I'm also >>42545 and >>41952 btw.

>>42328
>>you will never get an A for drinking
>Kill me
Seconded.
>>
>>42649
>Have you tried...not being a pussy?
You prove my point of drinking in public to prove manliness : even saying that some people have troubles not facially expressing their dislike for the strong taste makes me a "pussy".

Also, did you know how to hold your drinking by birth, or did you learn "at school" with co-students, thus proving you have a regular social life (and may be a good businessman)?
>>
>>42708
>or did you learn "at school" with co-students, thus proving you have a regular social life
No, I have no social life, I'm just a drunk.
Obviously, it takes practice,, just like anything else.
As for calling you a pussy, I wasn't being serious.
>>
>>42328
>Tfw i would be an honors student
>>
The company I work for has a lot of chinese business and I have had Baiju. It is absolutely disgusting, honestly the worst possible spirit there is.

The best way to describe is is tasting of sweaty socks. The stuff leaks out of your pores the day after and you aren't allowed to just have one or two.

Honestly this stuff will fuck you up so badly, everyone who works with the Chinese despises the dinners so much, even though they are generaly extremely heavy drinkers.

Honestly the most horrible drink imaginable.
>>
>>42649
have you tried not being an alcoholic?
>>
>>42830
Yeah, but it didn't stick. Cheers! ;^)
>>
>>42801
Have you ever thought of not being such a little bitch
>lived and worked in china
>company dinners were the shit
>>
>>42554
I can drink pure vodka just fine. Granted I usually get pretty fucked up from it, and half a bottle will leave my head in the toilet.
Jolly rancher vodka is even better, I actually have to remind myself that it's strong so I shouldn't drink a lot.
>and then I drink like 8 shots anyways and throw up everywhere
>>
>>42649
I rarely drink. Like I drink a beer once every...6 months? I find vodka significantly easier to down than beer for some reason. I can drink vodka like a soda essentially. Beer has a much more bitter taste to me.
>>
>>42516
Canadian Indian here who's Irish
No I fucking don't asshole thanks for reminding me I spend too much money to get fucked.
Fucking 18 too ya fuck.
>>
>>43262
Are you a girl? I think you're probably a girl.

8 shots and puking. Kek.
>>
>>41780
percent and proof are not the same thing. 60 percent alcohol is a shit ton. 60 proof alcohol is 30 percent.
>>
>>43441
I think his point was that 40% abv is pretty much standard for hard liquor.
60% tends to be the higher end of the spectrum, but still nothing compared to 151 or Everclear.
>>
Drink.
>>
>>42801
>and I have had Baiju. It is absolutely disgusting, honestly the worst possible spirit there is.

This and drinking/eating anything made in deep China can be a risk to your health due to so many fakes and shoddily made products.

My father keeps several boxes of blue labels in his office in China for occasions that calls for drinking, at least it's something you can trust and easier to down.

t. chang
>>
>>43407
If he drinks all 8 in quick succession then I understand. But if that's any less than 2/hour then yeah, he's a grill
>>
>>45756
>so many fakes and shoddily made products
It's real dog meat, I assure you.
>>
Knowing how to drink is an essential skill in life.

It takes time and practice to find the limitations of your body, but once you do you can enjoy liquor in reasonable moderation.

Maybe that's the best way to eradicate alcohol use is to make it's teaching mandatory?
>>
>>42801

Agreed about Baiju.

But seriously, some liquors are perfectly fine at 60-70 Volts while some that are 30-40 can be absolutely disgusting to drink.

For example, if you've ever drank Pálinka you know that really strong stuff can be almost refreshing.
>>
Shake hands, drink whiskey /.: not Moslem; the test would verify that.
>>
>>45802

The same can be said for taxes, cooking, and exercise. Our education system is a joke. One big "fuck you" to everyone and everything that matters in this world as the rich grow richer and the the poor grow poorer.
>>
>>45802
I wouldn't call it essential, because some people choose to be sober all their lives. However, it would still be useful for them to identify heavy side effects in their friends and family.

But instead we'll probably get a two day lecture on alcohol use in the quarter long health class.
>>
>>46958
chinks are manlets and cant drink much
>>
>>42649
Not all of us want to be a drunkard.

Let me remind you that alcohol was banned in America once all according to our puritan values. I don't stand for that but I don't stand for forcing something on people that's just supposed to be a casual/social drink.
>>
One glass of alcohol and these gooks are on their asses?
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.