[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ancient Mosaic Skeleton says: "Be Cheerful and Enjoy Your
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1
File: skeleton-scene[1].jpg (290 KB, 1200x812) Image search: [Google]
skeleton-scene[1].jpg
290 KB, 1200x812
.http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/25/middleeast/turkish-skeleton-says-relax/

>It's the ancient equivalent of "don't worry, be happy."

>Turkish archaeologists have unearthed a 2,400-year-old mosaic that features a laid-back skeleton, reclining with a cup next to a bottle of wine and loaf of bread, surrounded by the wise words: "Be cheerful, enjoy your life," according to Turkey's Anadolu news agency.

>Turkish media said that the image, which dates to the third century B.C., was discovered in 2012 during construction of a cable car in Antakya. The area was further excavated to look for additional artifacts.

>Archaeologist Demet Kara says that the carefree fellow likely appeared in the dining room of a wealthy family's villa in the ancient Greek-Roman city of Antioch, known as an early center of Christianity, and possibly the place where followers of Jesus Christ were first called Christians.

>She said that the mosaic was a unique finding for Turkey.

>"There is a similar mosaic in Italy, but this one is much more comprehensive. It is important for the fact that it dates back to the 3rd century (B.C.)," she is quoted as saying in local media.

>Its blissed-out message is a far cry from the "memento mori" -- stark reminders of the transience of life, symbolized by images of skulls and other grim reminders of mortality -- that populated medieval Europe.

>Rather, it seems to echo the "Cleopatra Ode" of Roman poet Horace, "Nunc est bibendum" -- now is the time for drinking.

more coverage:
http://www.sciencealert.com/archaeologists-have-discovered-an-ancient-mosaic-skeleton-that-says-enjoy-your-life
https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2016/04/be-cheerful-advises-wine-drinking-skeleton/
>>
If only I could little skeleton.
>>
That should be a poster somewhere.
>>
>>40977
>>40977
Dont give up, skeleton!
>>
who cares
>>
>>40977
What it really says is:
"Fucking goats is bad for your health."
>>
>>41079
everybody else but you, apparently
>>
>>41079
Don't worry, be happy.
>>
>immediately makes the article about christianity
>>
Faggot Turks weren't in Turkey back then, so the mosaic isn't Turkish
>>
>>41150
You don't think the Trojans are today's modern Turks?
>>
>>41151

Well we already know they aren't. The Turks came to Turkey long after Troy. The Trojans were where, as the Greeks used to be
>>
>>41153

>where where

were white. Now you have what you always have when white people are gone: Beautiful lands full of ugly people
>>
>>41154
t. /pol/
>>
>>41157
>stop triggering me!

Yep. Ugly, ugly people.
>>
>>40977
>posting pro-bone propaganda
Get lost skelly
>>
>>41079

t. millennial
>>
2spooky4me
>>
>>40977
thank mr skeltal
>>
>>40977
I want that on a t-shirt, it's super cool
>>
>>41093
lmfao tbqf
>>
>ancient skele posters
>>
>>40986
This so fucking much. I should re-paint it and hang it on a wall or something.
>>
>>41608
is it real
>>
>>41202
O shit me too.
>>
>>40977
neat
>>
>>41154
You wish.
But keep dreaming though
>>
>>41177
t. other milennial calling another milennial that
>>
Thank Mr Skeltal
>>
>>40977
Thanks Mr. Skeltal. Ok back to /b/
>>
Thanks mr skeltal
>>
"enjoying life"
bunch of bullshit
>>
>>40977
3spoopy5me
>>
>>40977
Gay ass skeleton
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.