[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Chernobyl 30 Years After
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 0
http://m.voanews.com/a/united-states-pledges-ten-million-to-chernobyl-survivors/3301769.html

>350k made to leave homes
>31 dead and thousands suffering from radiation related health problems
>The bleeding reactor still in place
>$2.3 billion US by 40 countries spent for (still incomplete) containment building over the reactor
>looking at another century before the area is habitable

The US is giving $10 million more in top of $400k it has already given, this time to the individuals affected.

If you ask me, this is money well spent.
>>
>>40767
I'm surprised it hasn't become more of an issue in the civil war being fought just a few hundred kilometers to the east of where Chernobyl is.

That arch thing is going to be a wonder of the world if they do it right.
>>
>>40767
Yet they still making nuclear weapons
>>
>>40774
>Yet they still making nuclear weapons
You're right; it's a shame. Nuclear safety, disarmament, and cleanup are all important issues. Every nuclear nation should be held to account for environmental injustice, global insecurity, and proliferation.

Still, when I see this, it makes me proud to be on the right side of history at least somewhere.
>>
>The bleeding reactor still in place
Holy shit what are they doing?
>>
>>40774
Nuclear weapons are less harmful to the environment than accidents like chernobyl.

In a nuclear weapon, nearly all the nuclear materials is consumed to make the explosion as big as possible, whereas in accidents the fuel just gets burned off slowly releasing a shitton of radiation.

>>40781
What do you suggest they do with it? It's welded to the floor by a mix of nuclear material and the molten reactor casing. We don't have the technology to lift it or move it, nor would we have anywhere to put it even if we did because nuclear waste sites are designed for fuel rods, not an entire nuclear reactor.
>>
>>40774

Nuclear weapons and nuclear power have almost zero in common.

>>40786
>Nuclear weapons are less harmful to the environment than accidents like chernobyl.

Only airbursts, which don't produce a lot of fallout, are pretty good at making ground zero habitable again. Every nuclear disaster area other than Chernobyl (and Fukushima, but it's still in cleanup/containment) is also habitable by most environmental standards.

And as colossal a fuckup as Chernobyl was, keep in mind the area is still on comparable long-term damage, habitability, and scale to other industrial accidents: Centralia, Gilman, Bhopal, and many many more.
>>
>>40786
>>40801
A nuclear detonation is still going to render the target area inhabitable for years. Not to mention the life's lost and the cost of rebuilding said area.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 0

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.