[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fire shuts down Belgium's Tihange nuclear reactor
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1
File: memu_tihange8.jpg (479 KB, 3305x2481) Image search: [Google]
memu_tihange8.jpg
479 KB, 3305x2481
A nuclear reactor at the Tihange power station in Belgium has been shut down following a fire inside the plant. Germany has protested the power station near the border.

(http://www.dw.com/en/fire-shuts-down-belgiums-tihange-nuclear-reactor/a-18929156)
>>
looks idyllic
>>
>>10290
Yeah, nothing like having a fire where smoke would be coming out anyway...
>>
So the reactor is no longer in a state of criticality? This is a lucky escape especially considering it was shut down for cracks in its containment vessel, if coolant was lost there would be major problems and the internal pressure would cause a hydrogen explosion in the containment which would lead to radiation release. Its a real shame they don't make new reactors and shut these old ones down they had their place in the cold war but they are now redundant tech compared to new reactor cycles. Any country anywhere could pour a plants worth of funding into developing a MSRe and then pursue molten salts with thorium or spent fuel (nuclear waste) as fuel and get energy independence in a decade and a half. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVCx5kZhLHo
>>
>>10306
>smoke
You had better be trolling.
>>
>>10306
Well, wood smoke is probably much more healthful than the plutonium smoke they normally put out, so well done Belgians
>>
That is a picture of Three Mile Island in Pennsylvania. It had a issue in the late 70's or early 80's.
>>
>>10327

>plutonium smoke

That's water, dude...
>>
>>10327
Its not smoke, it's steam from water
>>
>>10327
>plutonium smoke

You mean water? Like, these plants literally generate power by heating up water that runs turbines. Literally, just water.
>>
>>10281
>following a fire in a non-nuclear section of the plant
Oh look, absolutely fucking nothing. Of course it makes national news here in Germany though because MUH NUCULAR BOOGEYMAN FUCKUSHIMI CANCERNOBYL I hate this cuntry.
>>
>>10395

Germany's stance on nuclear power is ridiculous. They'd rather pollute the air with smoke from burning trash than run safe, clean and reliable nuclear stations, all in the name of the environment! Absurd.
>>
>>10310
not going to happen, because the lobby for "green energy" is easier to sell, and oil enterprises profit from the power vaccum. Look at germany, like >>10410 said

>>10359
>>10380
>>10381
no he clearly means smoke as in smoked salmon.
You are the salmon here, he was the bait.
>>
>>10413

I know so many Greens who hate nuclear power, they think solar and wind power will be all we need (in fucking Europe, solar power?) and simply won't listen to any pro-nuclear power arguments. I've been accused of being a paid shill for the nuclear industry, people will employ real /pol/-tier "reasoning" to support their anti-nuclear screed.
>>
>>10414
It's frustrating. Any strong opinion or ideology I have have been tainted by some idiot somewhere, and other idiots try to remind me of that:
nuclear is good -> japanese industry is corrupt and fukushima happened
we have to take care of the environment -> green parties are idiot treehuggers that discredit themselves like idiots
lax immigration policies will bring long-term demographic tensin tension -> but that's nazi!!
capitalism can't go unchecked -> people remind me of Mao's 80 million highscore
communism won't work like that -> suddenly I'm told I'm part of the indoctrinated masses

all there's left for general acceptance is the lowest common denominator, and that usually mean ideologies that let you be content with doing doing half-assed attempts to save the world, without the effort of introspection to know if you are doing the right thing.
both the hard right and hard left ruin this world.
>>
>>10419

Yes, the tendency to rush to the most extreme counter-example is a real problem with today's public dialogues. act is, our societies are just too divided to reach any kind of consensus, which means politicians play it safe and listen to the loudest bleating, and that comes from the kind of person who wants to make a difference, but doesn't want to have to think for himself.

#HashTagPolitics #WesternDecline #GasTheDutch
>>
>>10281
Another reason for idiots to discredit the most safe and efficient source of energy we have.
>>
>>10456
Are you fucking kidding me bud, Do you remeber what happened in Fukashima Daieshi just a couple of years ago
>>
>>10485
I seem to recall idiots building a nuclear power plant on a coast in a country noted for seismic activity. Are we remembering the same thing?
>>
>>10495
>>10485
>Fukushima

The main problems with the plant were it's designs. Modern designs avoid the issues that causes the evacuation. Also: Nobody died.
>>
>>10485
>Fukashima Daieshi
At least google to see if you spelled that correctly if you want people to take you seriously.
>>
>>10496
Some might die or get super powers.
>>
>>10327
U caught 3 fish. Nice bait m8 8/8
>>
>>10485
Exquisite bait, M'lord. I bow down to thee
>>
>>10534
Their power is they die faster
>>
>>10413
>>10414
Yes it is very sad and its one of the biggest reasons we are still using these old shitty plants the government strictly regulated the industry but environmentalists will never be pleased and anything with the word nuclear in it automatically conjurers up images of nuclear bombs going off in their overly emotional reactionary minds.

I remember /sci/ talking about thorium/LFTR/MSR back in 2011 an not long after /pol/ was going mad about it too but now the people of /pol/ barely remember it or its great potential. Funny how things change as the userbase changes, many on /pol/ now don't even seem to know such a thing exists.
>>
XDD WOW DUDE NUCLEAR IS DENGEROUS LOOKATDA TSJERNOBIEL ACCIDENT!! XDDD
>>
Germany; allows over a million refugees to pass it's borders. Complains about a fire at a power station near it's border.
>>
>>10421
Democracy was a fucking joke
t. Roux
>>
>>11637
Democracy works fine if the masses are informed. The masses are more commonly plain ignorant, or brainwashed by the media.
>>
>>11655
>>11637
>>
>>10306
I think you mean steam.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.