[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Death Penalty
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 0
The cost of the death penalty; is it worth it?

http://acrossthelinesnews.com/2016/04/07/why-the-death-penalty-is-not-worth-the-cost/
>>
>>37548
Why not just go the opposite direction and streamline the Death Penalty process to be as quick as possible? Increase infraction punishment and reduce prison population. Oh that's right. In the US prisons are privately run businesses with a bottom line.
>>
>>37548
1. Humans are fallible.
2. Death is irreversible.

>The Death penalty is unjust.
>>
>>37549

way to simplify our death penalty process into some absurd ideological meme.

>this just in death penalty not used enough in US because of private prisons.
>capitalism doesn't want you to have efficient justice.

brilliant.
>>
>>37548
How about instead of putting the prick on death row for years, bring him out back after he's found guilty and put a round in his head? 9mm isn't that expensive.
>>
>>37549
>>37570

Consider the ones who are put on death row and later exonerated. The system takes years to move so executing them immediately gives no time for recourse for the innocent.
>>
>>37551
Lost time is also irreversible.

You can give someone some cash for imprisoning them for 20 years and not have anyone resign.
>>
>>37551
I agree, with the caveat that "death penalty" isn't conflated with defending oneself with lethal force.
>>
>>37548
I live in brazil and i say death penalty is the best, we have monthly prison riots and many inmates ends up in the street ... have you ever seen a riot in the graveyard ?
>>
>>37589
Isn't that implicitly admitting that the punishment is faulty?
>>
>Just put them in prison for life.
Where they can escape, start riots, start fires, create seige situations, take hostages, continue to direct criminal operations from within prison (including murders) and attack, bully, injure and kill prison guards, prison visitors and other prisoners who are not violent and in for lesser offences and generally continue to be a threat. There have even been cases of violent prisoners being accidentally released after administrative errors mistook them for someone else. Some people are too dangerious to be left alive and executing them is the only reasonable option if people are interested in actually protecting innocent or less guilty people.
>But muh innocent people wrongfully executed.
This point is so massively overblown it's not even funny anymore. The way the anti-death penelty crowd talks you would think there has never been a guilty person executed and the question of innocence is only raised in the media when the death penelty is a possibility. The fact is that with modern evidence gathering tecniques and system of free and fair trail by a jury of peers in which the defendant and their legal representatives can challange all evidence and witnessess against them, the chance of wrongful executions is so small it is negligable, anyone who wants to argue that any chance of wrongful execution no matter how small is wrong and unjustifiable (without realising what an absurd and impossible standard, that virtually no one or nothing else is held to, this is) should refure to the previous paragraphe talking about how criminals are still a threat while in prison.
cont...
>>
>>37694
>It's too dangerious for the state/government to have the power to execute people.
This argument addresses systems of government more than any question of the death penelty. A corrupt or tyranical government, has a million ways of killing people it doesn't like reguardless of wether or not it has the death penelty on the books. It will employ covert death squads with lists of people to disappear more than anything else. A government with seperation of powers and checks and balences between them, and with that government being democraticlly accountable to the people (and, I would argue, the people being armed and therefor able to mount an insurgency/rebellion against said corrupt or tyranical government) will never fall to that point. Unless of course it all gets traded away in the interests of "saftey and security".
>Executing criminals and terrorists only makes them martyrs.
And imprisoning or otherwise punishing them doesn't? If you still think this is a valid point go look at Bobby Sands and the other PIRA and INLA hunger strikers in Northern Ireland 1981, no death penelty there and yet he still died and was martyred in the eyes of some (wrongly in my opinion). People are considered martyrs based upon the context of the situation and the supprt they have, not wether or not they are being subject the the death penelty as oppose to some other form of punishment.
>The death penelty doesn't reduce crime/deter criminals.
It is widely accepted that people who murder, rape, torture, etc do so because they either don't care about the consequences or convince themselves that they won't get caught, in so far as that, this point stands. However it cannot be accuratly meansured so to say the death penelty has no deterrent effects whatsoever is disingenious, it must also be said that a main tenent of executing a criminal is to prevent that criminal from causing further crime/harm/damage than what has already been caused.
>>
>>37695
>Why execute them when we can rehabilitate them and turn them into a productive member of society.
This implyes that they deserve that chance, which they don't. So we rehabilitate them, which will probably fail and will invariably cost a massive amount of time, money and effort which could be better spent elsewhere, but lets say they are successfully rehabilitated. They turn their lives around, get out, get a job, a family, etc and genrally feel happy and feel god about themselves that they turned around and saw the error of their ways. Meanwhile the person they commited the crime against is still rotting in the ground, left with perminent injures/disfigurment/truma/etc not to mension their families. Is that really justice? I think not. The justice system should be there to protect the innocent, not to make scum act in a way that comes to normal people naturally.
>Killing killers makes you as bad as them, you got blood on your hands, sets a bad example, barbaric society, blah, blah, blah...
If you can't understand the difference between a person knowingly and willingly choosing to kill, rape, torture, etc another person for personal gain or pleasure or some other malicious reason and a society where that person is formally arrested and charged due to reasonable suspision and then subjected to a free, fair and public trial in which the prosecution must prove beyond all reasonable doubt that the defendent committed the hanious crime with which they have been charged and the defendant and their legal council can challenge all witnessess and evidence against them and then after being found guilty by a jury of their peers is executed in a quick and relitively painless fasion as a response to the hanious crime that they commited. Then you really are a pretentious idiot.
>>
>>37696
>an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind :^)
Implying the world has only one set of eyes, what you are really saying is that it is acceptable for the innocent to have their vision slighted while the guilty can retain perfect vision :^)
>Muh religon teachs forgiveness, love thy ememies, though shalt not kill blah, blah, blah...
Religon is a lie and god probably isn't real *le tips fedoria* once we accept that you will realise that the only justice that exists is the justice which we make here on earth, this means we have not just the right, but the duty, obligation and responsibility to previous, current and future generations to preserve freedoms and liberties, keep law and order and meet serious crime with serious punishment, up to and including death. Also the actual commandment is "thou shalt not murder", not "thou shalt not kill" and if I loved my enemies they wouldn't be my ememies would they :^)
>It's immoral! Who are you to judge! Only god can do that! He who casts the first stone blah, blah, blah...
As said before God probably isn't real *le tip* so he can't judge, we are all that there is that is capable of doing that and while I and everyone else is not perfect, I, along with 95-99% of the population, have got this far/go through their whole life without commiting a single hanious act on the level of murder, rape or torture. It is therefor safe to say they we are far, far more perfect than 1 to 5% of people who do murder, rape, torture, etc and that I'm afraid does give me the right (and the duty and the responsibility, etc) to cast the first stone.
>>
>>37697
>But I forgive the one(s) who murdered, raped, tortured, etc my loved one.
Then you're a fuckwit who didn't love them much after all. On a more practical note, your personal forgiveness does not and should not have a bearing on punishment, we operate a system of common law, if you what to live somewhere where the fate of the offender is left to the whims of an aggrieved family, go move to Saudi Arabia.
>But muh higher costs of executing people than putting them in prison for life.
This only applies to the USA and it doesn't need to be higher. It's higher because people there who want to see the death penalty abolished anyway (for the reasons listed above) have swindled into place a convoluted and idiotic system of retrials and appeals which renders the death penalty largely impotent in that country.
>>
Why not focus on the costs involved & attempt to reduce it as opposed to abolishing? It's a cost-cutting exercise. Outsource executions to China..
>>
>>37548
Just have the worst of the bunch work like slaves

aka gulags
>>
>>37589
A small minority.
A sad if worthy sacrifice
>>
Assign a price to every crime and make prisoners work it off.
>>
>>37589
Maybe detectives just should be shit at their job. I think that would solve the problem pretty quickly.
>>
Deathrow
>Americas
>Loss of millions of dollars in litigation

>Chinas cost
>Loss of $.20 for the bullet
>Profit of 300k when they sell the organs
>>
>>37758

If there was ever a country I wish I was from its China.

Free speech, democracy, decent working conditions, low levels of pollution, safe food, due process etc. who needs that shit.
>>
>>37725
Would you be able to say that if it happened to you?

That is, if you weren't a depressed fascist roleplayer baiting for (you)'s?
>>
Honestly I think the Death penalty should only be reserved for the most heinous of crimes. I'm talking about monstrous acts like mass murder, mass rape, torture and other inhumane acts. The worst of the worst.
>>
>>37765
Not an argument.
>>
There is one penalty harsher than capital punishment, but it hasn't ever been used in the U.S. due to the "cruel and unusual punishment" clause.

Deportation to India.
>>
>>37548
Why does the death penalty have to cost anymore than the price of a few rounds and a one way trip to a firing squad?
>>
>>37846
Because people don't want to feel responsible for ending someone's life numb nuts.
>>
>>37548
Why not just keep them alive and do human testing on them to try and further the advancement of the human race like to cure disease and shit.
>>
>>37696
Hey sensible faggot, is not about your infantile justice, this is about admimistrtion, finding a way to avoid crime. Not "punish the evil". Evil in this case being a low class dude who train boxing and learn tu use weapons to sell drugs and be in a gang, and good, a faggot otaku whose underware smell like semen, has overweight, is a trump fanatic and fap to cp.
>>
>>38499
I'm really struggling to understand what you're trying to say here.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 0

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.