[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New, Earliest Known North American Civilization Found In Central Texas
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 1024x1024[1].jpg (111 KB, 1024x729) Image search: [Google]
1024x1024[1].jpg
111 KB, 1024x729
http://m.mysanantonio.com/news/local/texas/article/Original-Americans-lived-near-Austin-1299448.php#photo-720564

>Texas scientists have found the oldest confirmed site of human habitation in the Americas just north of Austin, where the Edwards Plateau meets the coastal plains.

>The unprecedented haul of artifacts from as far back as 15,500 years ago brings archaeologists much closer to answering the mysteries of who the first Americans were, where they came from and how they got here.

>The new work, published Thursday in the journal Science, may definitively prove humans lived in the Americas prior to the “Clovis” people, who spread widely across the western hemisphere beginning about 13,000 years ago.

>These people, identifiable by their characteristic fluted spear points, long were thought to be the first Americans.

>The discovery of such an old settlement also suggests the first Americans must have come from Asia, not through an ice-free corridor over land, but along the Alaskan and Canadian coasts in boats as long as 16,000 years ago.

>“I think we’re getting closer and closer to understanding how and when the first people came into the Americas,” said Michael Waters, a Texas A&M University archaeologist who led the study.

>Waters and his colleagues found the trove of some 15,000 stone artifacts about 50 miles north-northwest of Austin at the Debra L. Friedkin site along Buttermilk Creek.
>>
>>35115
>Fed by permanent springs, this area between the Edwards Plateau and lower coastal plains would have offered ample game from both ecosystems, and its limestone held an abundant supply of flint-like rock, or chert, ideal for making Stone Age tools.

>Since the 1930s, archaeologists have believed the ancestors of the Clovis people —so named for a small number of stone “points” found near Clovis, N.M. — walked into North America from Asia across the Bering Sea landmass as the last Ice Age waned about 13,500 years ago.

>They feasted on large game unaccustomed to human predators and possibly contributed to the extinction of animals such as the mammoth. They followed this game and quickly spread throughout the continent. Eventually the Clovis technology gave way to varied, ancient Indian peoples.

>This is the story long told in textbooks and museums.

>In recent years, however, this “Clovis first” theory has come under mounting attack by some archaeologists, linguists and geneticists who suggest people may have been in this hemisphere for far longer, predating the Clovis by thousands of years.

>Some sites in Virginia and Pennsylvania have produced artifacts that archaeologists claim show evidence of habitation 15,000 to 17,000 years ago. But this evidence, generally measured in dozens of artifacts rather than thousands, hasn’t convinced some Clovis-first archaeologists.

>The new evidence, however, is difficult to dismiss. Waters’ team found the thousands of older artifacts in sediments beneath a layer of Clovis artifacts. The design of the older points is cruder than Clovis technology, but there are enough similarities to suggest Clovis points were derived from the older points.
>>
>“Some people will say this is the final nail in the coffin for the Clovis-first theory,” said Gary Haynes, a professor of anthropology at the University of Nevada at Reno, who long has been skeptical of pre-Clovis peoples in the Americas. “I don’t think this is the last nail, but I do think they’ve done some pretty good work here.”

>Haynes said he still has questions about the accuracy of the dating of sediments — without carbon-based material it’s difficult to get precise estimates of dates — and he has concerns that artifacts from later eras could have slipped down into older sediments.

>But Lee Nordt, a co-author of the Science paper and a geologist at Baylor University, dismissed that concern. He said there’s no evidence of such post-burial redistribution in the sediments.

>“They demonstrated to us unequivocally that the peopling of the Americas occurred prior to Clovis times and more than 13,000 years ago,” Nordt said.

>If Waters’ conclusions are correct, the first Americans evidently were handy with boats.

>Prior to about 13,500 years ago, sheets of ice two miles thick covered nearly all of Canada, making a land route impassable.

>The most plausible solution is that the first Americans traveled a coastal route, using boats to come down the Alaskan and Canadian coasts, parts of which probably would have been free of ice.

>There is little archaeological evidence of this trek, however.
>>
So native americans are just boat asians?
>>
>>35157
ye
>>
>>35157
Boat Asians --> Alaskan ice fishermen --> Native North Americans

Interestingly the jury is out on whether South America was first settled by these same North Americans or Polynesians, or possibly both.
>>
>>35160
From what I heard it was two waves, first wave settled North and South.. second wave settled North

and killed off most of the locals

also yeah later on some Polynesians came over
>>
The fact that people try to construct narratives to describe prehistoric mass migrations when we literally haven't even scratched the surface of all the archaeological evidence that there is out there is so laughable to me.

It shows you that arrogance and intellectual vanity combined will leap to conclusions the way Superman leaps tall buildings.

Do you believe a man can fly?
>>
>>35399
There is nothing wrong with making educated guesses based on the best evidence out there. I don't know what makes you think "we haven't even scratched the surface" but technological breakthroughs like easy access to LIDAR and satellite mapping have helped make huge advances in what we know about what used to be.
>>
>>35115
>inb4 it turns out to be white people and the "native americans" chimp out and backpedal on the whole whoever-touched-it-first-owns-it-for-all-eternity thing
>>
>>35415
What the hell are you on about? If anything it would be Asians. On the outside Polynesians.
>>
>>35399
>>35416
You're a fucking idiot. Whites have already been shown to be in the Americas at the same time or earlier than paleo-indians MANY times all throughout the Americas. It's just that every time such finds are discoverd, the natives move in and use federal laws to force the archeologists to rebury and destroy the remains. This shit's fucking ridiculous and it's been going on for decades. I love how conservative they are with the dating, the slow, daft twats. Remains in the Americas have been dated at the upper limit of carbon dating (~50,000 ya), yet the Clovis-first faggots are the majority, and like all "good" archaeologists (which is why archaeology isn't a real science), they're unwilling to waver from their pet theory.

>Uh uh maybe the arrowheads slipped lower into the soil!
Go fuck yourselves. I've had it up to my fucking ears with retards and people who need to live in fucking comfortable bubbles controlling archaeology. It's sickening.
>>
>>35601
go back to godlikeproductions, kid
>>
>>35610
You mean reality? Orthodox archaeology is beyond wrong about human colonization of the Americas AND the fact that humans caused almost exclusively the Pleistocene megafaunal extinctions. Deal with it. But I don't need to argue with you, because in a few decades it won't even be controversial. The bullshit lies are already eroding more every day. Once upon a time even a mediocre story like this would have been beyond the pale and never would have been published.
>>
>>35628
/x/ please, you sound like Robert Shoch right before he starts talking about real stargates.
>>
>>35628
Lol u fucktard
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.