[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A religious gender gap for Christians, but not for Muslims
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: PF_2016.03.22_gender-00-02.png (133 KB, 624x512) Image search: [Google]
PF_2016.03.22_gender-00-02.png
133 KB, 624x512
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/03/24/a-religious-gender-gap-for-christians-but-not-for-muslims/

While Christian women are on the whole more religious than Christian men, Muslim women and Muslim men have similar levels of religious commitment. And when it comes to attendance at worship services, Muslim men are more active than Muslim women.

Christian women also are more likely than Christian men – by an average of 7 percentage points (68% vs. 61%) – to say religion is “very important” to them.

But among Muslims, there is no difference between the shares of Muslim women and Muslim men (76% vs. 76%) who say religion is very important to them across 38 of the 40 countries with data on this measure of commitment.

Another area where Christians and Muslims differ is attendance at worship services. Many more Muslim men than Muslim women (70% vs. 42%) report attending services weekly.

When it comes to attendance among Christians, however, Christian women are more likely than Christian men – by an average of 7 percentage points (53% vs. 46%) – to report attending services weekly.
>>
>>34119
consider the source

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pew_Research_Center

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pew_Charitable_Trusts
>>
>>34121
It's not profit and non governmental.

>>34119
Why is this news? It's cool to know, but no one really cares.
>>
Women live longer on average. Older people are more likely to be religious. The free movement of women is often limited in Islamic countries. Muslim women in radically Islamic places are possibly more likely to think that Islam is crap since it makes their life shittier than a male Muslim's life.
>>
>>34119
I remember reading somewhere that men are like 3x more likely to be atheists. A lot of women are agnostic or non-religious or some bullshit, but atheists are mostly dudes.
Combined with the fact that it's a community of skepticism, and it's obvious why Atheism+ never took off
>>
>>34121
So?
>>
>>34119
The study is fundamentally flawed in that it compares Christianity which is organized hierarchically and stresses weekly meetings with a religious leader with Islam which is non-hierarchical and emphasizes daily formal prayer.
>>
>>34119
I'm a believing christian, baptized Lutheran, but non-affiliated to any denomination. I have a clear understanding of the various dogmas, doctrines and creeds, enjoy reading apologetics, and I've probably only attended a church service maybe three times in the last decade.

And there are millions of men just like me. The actual definition of a church is a body of believers, not a building, community center or social group. Many Christian men just get together for impromptu prayer meetings or devotionals of 2 to 10, without ever seeing the inside of a traditional church building.

For women it's different, they love the ceremony and social aspects, hence the disparity.

>>34148
>atheists are mostly dudes.
They also tend to be into math and engineering, have problems personally communicating, and many have aspergers or high-functioning autism.
That's probably why the rare atheist with some modicum of social grace and charm (like Hitchens or Dawkins), end up as super-stars.
>>
>>34159
>Christianity which is organized hierarchically and stresses weekly meetings with a religious leader
You're confusing Catholicism and western european tradition with Christianity as a whole.
>>
>>34161
Can you name any Protestant congregation that isn't lead by a single leader (Reverend, Minister, etc.) I can think of only 1.
>>
>>34119
>and Israel
Well, it was predominantly Muslim and Christian before those illegal immigrants displaced them.
>>
>>34230
Are you talking about Juice ?? :^)
>>
>>34119
Variance.
>>
>>34148
Fedoras aren't typically worn by women, clearly that must be the reason. Wake up America
>>
>>34148
I remember reading somewhere that women declared to be a milder denomination of believer agnostic or christian depending with whom they were having that discussion.

It's not that there are more men as atheists but they are more likely to admit it because testosterone, risk taking conducts, etc. Basically women fear being ostracized and prefer to keep quiet.
>>
All it shows is countries where freedom of thought exists.
>>
>all those cute women at mass today
>>
I could talk for my country and I could say in Italy the religion is not considered as time ago. Neither my grandfather and grandmother go to pray. The people who are practitioners usually are women over 40-90 years old, and the men are over 50-90 y.o. The new generations don't believe in the Church or in the men of the church. Only during the Christmas time and the Easter time the people go to pray, especially in the small "city" with over 1000-10.000 people of the Southen Italy. You americans are more belivers than us. When I saw the data of this difference among european countries and american countries I could not believe it. However, according to me it's better so, we don't need christian religion, especially if chatolic. But this is a problem too.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.