[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mars One attaches an "if" to going to Mars
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1
No cop outs...

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/mars-one-crews-wont-know-when-or-if-red-planet-trip-will-happen-519979
>>
>>31098
Ah well, everybody knew this was coming. They made for some good clickbait headlines a year or so ago though, eh? "Sign up for mars trip", they said, "Anyone can apply!". Now in retrospect it almost seems like a con artist's ploy to get people's personal info.
>>
>>31117
No, they're very dedicated. Here's the proof, from the article:

> “[We will] build a copy of this Mars outpost here on earth. Each of these teams will be hired full time to train for the mission for 10 years and each year, they’ll be locked up in the simulation outpost, at least once, for an undetermined period of time,” Lansdorp said. “So when they go in, they have no idea if they’ll be in for 15 minutes or the whole year. Because on Mars there’s no countdown.”

> According to Lansdorp, Mars One will find the right teams over the 10-year period before the first manned mission is planned to launch. As teams drop out, Lansdorp said Mars One will repeat the selection process every year, so that the number of teams in training will grow to 10-15 by 2026.

> “And on Earth, we’ll give em hell. Everything will go wrong. So after they’ve been in for three months, and everything has already been going wrong — the life support system breaks in the middle of the night,” Lansdorp said. “So they wake up, fix the life support system, or they’ll suffocate, then they go to bed. They have about half an hour of sleep before they have to wake up. They wake up, and the toilets in the outpost are broken and there’s a huge smell.”
>>
NEED MO MONEY
>>
>>31157
There's no money on Mars though... Just rocks.
>>
Mars is old news. I want to have floating cities on Venus.
>>
>>31263
>Did a university project about how using airships on Venus would actually be safer than a mars colony.

I just want to do a proof of concept mission to put an airship into the venusian atmosphere for testing and experimentation.
>>
>>31224
But there is potential. That is the most valuable thing you can have.
>>
>>31386
>gravity is .9 that of earth
>upper atmosphere has pressure and temperature suitable for human habitation
>air is a floating gas there
>plenty of solar energy to run turbines to keep a heavier city afloat

We need to recognize Mars is getting us nowhere and start colonizing the upper atmosphere of Venus.
>>
>>31098
Wasn't this exposed as a scam?
>>
>>31605
Lethally toxic sulfurous atmosphere deathtrap planet with heat levels off the charts? Naaaaaahhhhhhh mane
>>
>>32067
YE pretty much
>>
>>31605
>Venus
>450 degrees celsius in the shade
>extreme acid rain
Nah man
>>
>>32443
That's why we build ABOVE the rain, on air-balloons that can easily float above the super-dense atmosphere
>>
>>32471
Putting the floating cities above the rain gets them closer to the Sun and thus not safe.
>>
>>32475
The atmosphere is still thick enough to protect against radiation.
>>
>>31605
yeah except that whole acid rain and lightning storm problem...
>>
>>32139
see
>>31123
>>
>>32443
>>32595
What part of "floating" don't you faggots get?
In the upper atmosphere there is no acid rain or lightning storm, and the temperature is survivable without a pressure suit.

It's just all the fucking carbon dioxide that you have to worry about.
And falling. Don't fall.
>>
>>31123

Running mission training as a drop-out process is not a route to success.
>>
>>32820
The assumption is that they already learned how to fix any possible problem. Better to fail a simulation while it's still possible.
>>
>>32824

Not like that, though. NASA and the military all have great procedures for this kind of training and it's not what Lansdorp described. Also running it as teams instead of a large class is dumb. The weak links on each team drag everyone down.

> MarsOne is still a scam.
>>
>>32832
Still, it sounds like a better plan than sticking us in Venus' atmosphere?!
>>
>>32838
No, colonizing Venus' upper atmosphere is a pretty solid plan. Just need to figure out how to get water, Venus has very little.
>>
>>32832
>MarsOne is still a scam
More like a pipe dream.
>>
>>32853
Sulfuric acid can be turned to water, just need to find a suitable base, then a simple desalination... They would have to get a bit creative, but there's nothing that cannot be solved eventually.
>>
>>32853
>>32860
The problem is that Venus is a dead end. It has no hopes of being totally self sufficient nor contributing anything particularly useful to an interplanetary economy.
>>
>>31224

>An entire planet full of untapped mineral resources

>no money
>>
>>31605
It is hotter on Venus than it is on Mercury. A Soviet probe landed there once and dissolved in an hour.
>>
For what fucking purpose
>>
>>32949
I feel like you're not understanding the concept of an upper atmosphere. The part of the atmosphere that is the same pressure as Earth's atmosphere is also around the same temperature.
>>
>>32136
>>32443
>>32595
Next level bait you got my reply
>>
>>32970
Even if you were right that Venus' upper atmosphere has little radiation or storms, and Earth-like pressures, there's absolutely nothing there to attract colonists. It'd be a dangerous place to live for absolutely no gain whatsoever.
>>
>>31224
Yea the only money you can mine is BTC
>>
>>33093
except for the fact it would be fucking dope
>>
We ain’t got no business on Mars. Now I’m thankful for the drugs that kills bugs, mosquitos, mice and fleas

But instead of us tryin’ to get up to Mars, we better get down on our knees, and thank the good Lord for the world we have.

Besides, if God intended we should go to Mars why’d He put it so far away?
>>
>>33093
It has an atmosphere to protect from radiation. It is close to the sun for agriculture and solar energy. Its gravity is close to that of Earth's.

Compared to earth it is not ideal, but it's probably the best candidate for colonization of all the inner planets.
>>
>>32838

No, MarsOne is less likely to succeed getting to Marrs than an unknown entity trying to colonize Venusian cloudtops. They are that dangerously incompetent.

>>32858

Half and half. They've made a little bit of money.

>>33093

Maybe atmospheric mining but I don't see what Venus has that Earth can't put in orbit cheaper.
>>
>>31605
It's all making sense now. THAT was the purpose of the towers, The Jetsons took place on VENUS!
>>
>>33196
The Jetsons takes place above the Flintstones.

Mars is more appealing than Venus because you can't mine many natural resources from Venus, while Mars will offer many metals and possibly even water
>>
>>33136
Why trolling, friend? Nothing better to do?!
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.