[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sen. Bernie Sanders (I, VT) to skip AIPAC Conference
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 0
>US presidential hopeful Bernie Sanders is the only candidate for the country's top post who has decided to not take part in next week's conference for the pro-Israel lobbying group AIPAC.

>In a letter to Robert Cohen, the chief of the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, on Friday - Sanders, the first Jew to ever win a presidential primary in the US, expressed regret that he could not conduct a speech at the event due to his busy campaign schedule.

>"Obviously, issues impacting Israel and the Middle East are of utmost importance to me, to our country and to the world," he said.
"Unfortunately, I am going to be travelling throughout the West and the campaign schedule that we have prevents me from attending."

>Sander's decision came after more than 18,000 people signed petitions calling for Sanders to turn down AIPAC's invitation to join the conference.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/03/election-bernie-sanders-skip-pro-israel-lobby-aipac-conference-160319054443339.html

AIPAC is the most influential Israeli lobby in the United States, and not attending (every other presidential candidate is) is a big victory for Palestinian activism in the United States, regardless of how Sanders spins his absence.
>>
>>30559
He's kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. If he goes they will call him a jew who puts jewish interests first. If he doesn't go they will call him a godless atheist and a weak-on-Israel-security democrat.
>>
>>30569
Well, at least they can't call him an antisemite, right? He must be the only politician who can even dream of skipping this.
>>
>>30576
They can. The self-hating Jew is a very well-known stereotype.
>>
As a Jewish American, that's fine by me. I really don't like it when politicians pander to AIPAC and other organizations like that, many of which don't really represent my views anyway.
>>
>>30582
I hadn't realised just how thorny an issue the Jewish diaspora's relationship with Israel was, but I guess I'm naive.

Some Jewish people seem to get very irate at the mere notion of separating the discussion of the wider Jewish population from the state of Israel.

I think, maybe, certain, more Orthodox sects should be a little more accepting of secular Jews. Wishful thinking, perhaps.

Netanyahu is a cunt, though.
>>
>>30591
only the rich jews give a shit about Israel and Bernie doesnt give a damn what rich anyone thinks of him anyways.
the vote he loses by turning them down isnt the jewish vote, it's the zionist (born again christian) vote but they've had their primaries already and its not like he would win them in the general anyways.
>>
>>30596

This is true. Except for the super-rich, Jewish Americans vote overwhelmingly Democratic. So he really loses nothing.
>>
Being anti-Israeli is the equivalent of being anti-semitic. But it's not like you guys would care anyway.
>>
>>30582
What are your viewsite on Israel?
>>
>>30599
might need to work on that b8
>>
>>30599

Israel is an apartheid state that's illegally occupying vast swaths of Palestinian land and committing genocide against its people. You would think the Jewish people would understand the dangers of state-sanctioned genocide after the whole Holocaust deal but apparently that isn't the case.
>>
>>30599
I'm Jewish, and I strongly disagree with that. People often use anti-Israel statements as a proxy for anti-Semitism and we should call that out when it happens, but you can absolutely speak negatively against Israel without being inherently anti-Semitic.

>>30601
I think that their policies regarding Palestine are mostly reprehensible. While I do have some sympathy for Israel's right to defend itself, I have a really difficult time supporting Israel as long as they're allowing settlers to move onto disputed territory, which is basically intentionally making things worse. I do believe that Israel absolutely has a right to exist, but under their current regime that's about as far as I'll go in its defense.

But my feelings aren't that relevant anyway. I'm not Israeli, I'm American.
>>
>>30604
>You would think the Jewish people

You mean "Israeli" people, not Jewish people.
>>
>>30606

Yeah, sorry, you're right.
>>
>>30604
The conflict isn't about territory. It's driven by Muslim bigotry, which cannot tolerate the existence of a non Muslim state in the region
>>
>>30599
>Being anti-Israeli is the equivalent of being anti-semitic.
[Citation needed]
>>
>>30599
I'm both, but can you please explain that logic. People who make this claim always use it as a way to control the debate

>>30614
Even Hamas support a two state solution based on the 1967 lines. That's a negotiating point every party ASIDE from Israel thinks should be the starting point. Your move, shlomo
>>
>>30599
Yeah Im a jew and I think Isreals existence is a blasphemy against god, we lost it for a reason, hubris, and apparently cunts like you forget that. Enjoy divine wrath after you croak faggot
>>
>>30620
hamas supports the annihilation of Israel. it's in their charter, you stupid fucking idiot.
>>
>>30976
Palestine used to be a country and nobody cared about its annihilation for the sake of forcing the recreation of Israel.

So why should Palestinians care about Israel's annihilation if it means it can go back to being Palestine again?
>>
>>30976
Aren't most Muslims peace loving though ?
>>
>>30578
Even so, >>30598 explains the rest.

>>30603
>>30604
>>30605
>>30619
>>30917
>>30620
Why are you faggots are taking this >>30599 hook line and sinker?
>>
>>30614
That's why the Native Americans attacked the English Colonists. They simply couldn't accept a non-native state in the region, and that was driven by their bigotry against whites.
>>
>>31033
>>30614
>doesn't know about Greater Israel
It has nothing to do with hate, not to say that the hatred isn't there. Hell, I recently found out that one of Syria's conservative parties wants a Greater Syria now, too! It's not an isolated situation.

They know that what little of Palestine that is left will be consumed and destroyed. And then they will start to bleed over into other countries.

They should have given them Madagascar so then they would have no surrounding land to shit up and bullshit their way into an armed response to protect "settlers".

I know good Jews but these Israelis I fucking swear.
>>
Burnie supports a two-state solution to the conflict, and if he went there and said that, he'd be burned at the stake.
>>
Non-/news/ reader here. I'm impressed by this thread; it would have been a shitshow on /pol/. Keep it up anons! :D
>>
>>31129
seriously though fucking kikes get given their own country and immediately try to deny that possibility for other people.
>>
>>30582
>As a Jewish American
How do you feel when you see merchant memes?
>>
>>30569
>>30569
if he goes everyones gonna start saying he's bought.
>>
>>31024
theyre not from /b/
>>
>>30559
Low energy
>>
It seems no one has the balls to ask the important question. Is Trump attending?
>>
>>30559
Palestine is a fucking meme, every day that passes the two state "solution" becomes much less feasible.
>>
>>30976

That "charter" isn't a legal or constitutional document, you do know that, right?
>>
>>31992
Are you fucking retarded or something? The idiot he was responding to said Hamas supports a two-state solution. Their charter, whether it's legal, constitutional or otherwise, clearly indicates that they do not support a two-state solution.

Furthermore, you're fucking clueless. The PLO wanted a two-state solution. Hamas, which is the Muslim Brotherhood in Palestine, did not. They ratified the charter, or as they call it, the covenant.

>muh pallies j-just w-want peace
>they wrote a charter that outlines the annihilation of Israel
>b-but it's n-not a legal d-document

What point are you even trying to fucking make? Legal how? Entered into the minutes of a meeting at the Hague? That's their fucking founding document, you twat. Whether they distance themselves from it or not, whether they present it to the UN as some kind of legally binding paper or whatever it is you're babbling about, it is the cornerstone of the Muslim Brotherhood in Palestine's ideology.
>>
Is this the Israel group that was laughing at the idea of a wall?
>>
>>31410
No one cares about drumpf you faggot fascist but yes he was there.
>>
>>32128
>drumpf

Someone cares
>>
>>32131
>>Implying
Yes well it does seem to piss off fanatics such as yourself.
>>
>>32180
It really doesn't
why not something better like lump or dump or trunk
>>
>>31199
how did you know what's in this thread if you don't read /news/?
>>
>>32185
Not the guy, but "Drumpf" was his family's surname before they changed it to "Trump".
>>
>>32327
..so?
>>
>>32327
Is that seriously what this Drumpf shit is about?
>>
>>32332
Not as such, no, but that's why drumpf and not one of those other options.
>>
bernie sanders aka the slickest entryist is a communist and i am perfectly fine with that
>>
>>32329
He asked me why people use "Drumpf" and not "lump", "dump", or "trunk". Just trying to tell him why. I think the idea is that it's funny that "Trump" is such a powerful name that screams "money" at you, whereas "Drumpf" looks and sounds so silly. I don't get what's hard to understand about it. If it helps you get the picture, imagine if we just found out that the Clinton name used to be "Klimpo" or something. "Hillary Klimpo". It's a little bit funny because it sounds silly and "Clinton" is such a big name in America. The opposition to Hillary would start referring to her as "Klimpo" because it would be funny and they wouldn't have any ideologically-based cognitive dissonance about finding it funny, because they don't like her.
>>32332
I think the thing started with this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnpO_RTSNmQ
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 0

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.