[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: AlphaGo.jpg (113 KB, 1390x900) Image search: [Google]
AlphaGo.jpg
113 KB, 1390x900
http://www.nature.com/news/south-korea-trumpets-860-million-ai-fund-after-alphago-shock-1.19595
>>
We're definitely going to get Aware Skynet out of this. There's no hills high enough for us to run to...
>>
>>30315
This was big news indeed. The whole Google GO thing was probably a way to convince the average Korean that spending is justified.
And, while the spending is justified indeed, it's a scary amount. Lots and lots of academics will be working on this.
>>
Finally. Once we get good AI maybe NPCs in games won't behaves like retards.
>>
>>30611
but we already had that level of AI around when F.E.A.R. came out.

The problem isn't the lack of technology, it's the lack of capable programmers willing to spend time developing it. Nobody gives a fuck any more, and as a developer I can tell you that the corporate motherfuckers keep you on such a tight leash that you don't have time to dick about making cool AI. It's a real shame.
>>
>>30632
But FEAR's AI doesn't work outside of FEAR. It's good in the context of the game but useless anywhere else.

The whole point of AlphaGo is that it does more than just play Go.

in 1995, Gremlin Interactive made Whiplash, a racing game with some of the most intelligent and "human" AI I have ever seen. Every manufacturer in the game has differing strategies, and you can communicate directly with your AI teammate to coordinate on-track. The AI remembers and retaliates if you ram it off track, it will block your line when you attempt an overtake and even tell its own teammate to turn around and drive the track backwards to take you out. Every race is different. This was a 16-bit DOS game made 20 years ago and since then no racing game has ever had AI that good.

Half the reason it is so good is because the AI is built to work with the game physics and the game is arcadey so they don't have to get very technical. FEAR's AI is the same, if you put it in a faster, more technical shooter (UT for example), it would get its shit wrecked attempting to stay under cover while someone is spamming rockets at it.
>>
finally
>>
>>30611
Human intelligence isn't much better.
Ever played Transformice?
>>
>>30632
There are no such thing as AI in video games to date.
>>
>>30821
There is. It's called Artificial Narrow Intelligence.
>>
>>30789
To be honest it's hilarious how incompetent the average player is. But you know what? I also found out the average player is also really fucking friendly and I genuinely had a lot of fun playing with them. Actually, I found out that the most easy-going and/or older-aged people tended to play in the vanilla rooms, the actual children in regular numbered rooms, and the tryhards who also happened to be amiable in bootcamp/racing. But honestly, there were great people everywhere. I was in a ton of 'tribes' (which would be like 'clans', if we go by other games' teminology) and I'm still taken aback by the lack of drama I found in them, even in the bigger ones, though of course there were exceptions, but considering the exception here is the drama and not the lack thereof says a lot. The ages varied immensely too, from anything between 12 (probably less?) to 30-something years old, and I befriended people from every section of the demography too. With the older ones I had some interesting chats and advice, and we sometimes used one of those websites that let people collectively upload and share music to listen to. People closer to my age and the younger ones we sometimes played some board and quiz games, or watched some videos together in the tribehouse, which lets everyone stream youtube videos while you play on a map. A lot of the girls liked to draw too, one of them drew my mouse once, it was a really cute gesture. The amount of people I met that I could call genuine friends is too high to count, really, and it really hurt to see them eventually depart the game, but in the end we all do. It was all like a big family to me, and honestly I'm not sure if I'll ever have that much of a good experience in an online community again. I hope the spirit is still alive there, in that mouse-ridden hellhole.

But are the players mostly incompetent when it comes to gameplay? Oh fuck, they really are. No need to enter into detail here, they just are. It's hilarious actually.
>>
>>30632
This.

Developing good A.I. takes, quite literally, years, and if developers can't be bothered to do it or aren't given enough time it will turn out shit.
>>
>>30789
>>30834
shit were you guys part of the old r9k crew in 2011? That used to be a great fucking crowd, I used to be on there constantly talking shit and getting cheese. Had it's own culture/memes etc. Fuck yeah edbye and pope, whereever you are.
>>
>>30322
>There's no hills high enough for us to run to...
There really is no hope after this.
>>
OK, so it can play Go at international level, big deal. If it could run the economy of a large industrialized nation now THAT would be something worth having.
>>
>>30315

>Google AlphaGo
>only 10 professional Go games
>already rank 2 in the world

Holy shit. Fuck mate get Ke Jie in there.
>>
First cars that can be 'hacked' via their infotainment system and now this. I'm starting to become a technophobe.

I do doubt that it will end up with >>30322
but its still a fear for me
>>
>>30834
>> this was written by an AI acting as a human
>>
>>30865
er, I never had anything to do with r9k, not on this site and not on tfm for sure, but that's cool I guess. The game really seemed to bring the best out of people, somehow.
>>
>>31039
Incorrect. I am not AI. My codename is project four-chan-zero-one. I am a living, thinking entity that was created in the sea of information.
>>
>>30821
lm-fucking-ao

do you know *anything* about what you're talking about!?
>>
>>30834
>>30865
>>30789
Fucking transformice was my life.

>>30611
Maybe grow up and stop playing your childish games aimed at little kids with no quality control?
>>
>>30652
I loved that game.
>>
>>30930
Point of interest is that AlphaGo is still playing itself, still learning. No one knows the limit of it's learning.
>>
>>31213
If it was really smart it would know to dump chess and play backgammon.
>>
>>30632
Fears ai is simplistic. What makes it work is the ai using actual tactics.
>>
>>30652
Nothing you've mentioned here is particularly difficult.

The hardest thing to do with AI is design one that can 1) strike the right balance between winning and losing and 2) make incorrect plays without looking like an idiot.

As far as "the AI only works with this one game" well yeah no shit. It'd be incredibly wasteful, both from a budget perspective and a technical perspective, to design something like AlphaGO for a normal video game.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.