[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Weird Green Comets To Approach Earth Next Week (Mar 21-24)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 1
http://www.wtsp.com/news/one-comet-to-swerve-closer-to-earth-than-any-other-comet-in-centuries/89192108

>One comet to swerve closer to Earth than any other comet in centuries

>An emerald-green comet will brush the Earth Monday, followed one day later by a kissing cousin that will swerve closer to the planet than any other comet in nearly 250 years.

>The first and bigger of the two comets will be visible Monday to the naked eye in the southern hemisphere, as long as city lights are far away. Stargazers in the United States will probably need only binoculars to see the bigger comet in late March. Scientists, however, are bringing out the big guns. The Hubble Space Telescope, the powerful ground-based Gemini telescopes and others will be trained on the celestial visitors, which will provide an extraordinary close-up of objects usually glimpsed only at a distance.

>“This is one for the record books,” says Michael Kelley of the University of Maryland, who’s never heard of two comets approaching close to Earth a day apart. “It’s a fantastic opportunity for professionals to learn more about comets, and if you have a chance to try to find them … it’s a fantastic chance to see part of history as it happens.”
>>
>>30234
more in-depth coverage:

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/p2016-ba14-closest-comet-in-almost-250-years03162016/
>>
You have to do the challenge now if you want the Star! Have Starbits on hand...
>>
Who /TheDayOfTheTriffids/ here?
>>
I'll just leave this here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgkvaKe1Wes
>>
Bump the thread.
>>
blue-shifting?, aww fuck they are slowing down mate

Alien invasion movie incoming,
>>
>>30424
It's about time...
>>
So northern hemisphere fags like me cant see it?
>>
>>30439
No you just have to wait a few days for it to swing into view.
There is a star map in >>30235 (it's far down on the page)
If you can see any of those constellations from your home then you have a chance to see the comets.
>>
And they're spaceships of the gods. If you want to board one and achieve absolute enlightenment you must shed your earthly vessel and free your spirit. This can be obviously be done through suicide.
>>
>>30455
t. Applewhite
>>
>cars start to drive themselves
>maximum overmeme happens
>>
>>30467
Just saw that in the comet thread. Watched through half of it.
>>
World is changing...
>>
is it aliens
>>
>>30488
yes
>>
>>30278
That was my first thought as well.
>>
>>30487
Same comets - different color. What's the big deal?!
>>
>>30538
the alines?
>>
>>30545
The aliens are sending us colored comets?! I suggest Yellow, next...
>>
>>30548
yellow is not a very fine color.
>>
>>30549
Bring it on over, ayy lmao! You're not even supposed to be fiddling around our solar system, anyway!
>>
>>30471
This is the comet thread.
>>
>>30548
No, red. The colour of haemoglobin (or iron) and oxygen.

Do the aliens have copper based blood if they send green flares?
>>
>>30234
What does this mean? Slowed down comets producing blue shift?

Has this not happened before?

What happened to the strange 3 glowing lights NASA discovered late last year?

Why is this even news worthy
>>
HAIL SKAVENBLIGHT
>>
>>30625
read the article
>>
YOU'RE TOO LATE, ALIENS. ST. PATTYS DAY IS OVAH
>>
>>30545
more like the ayylmemes
who even cares about intelligence from outer space anyway, they have never manifested themselves and they probably don't exist
simpler organisms seem like a more real possibility though, and therefore more interesting to consider
>>
>>30694
so you mean spacedoge
>>
>>30697
oh shit dude don't twist my words like that
I mean like unicellular space buges
>>
This is very cool.
Shame it didn't happen earlier
>>
I can confirm that this is definitely not aliens as such creatures are merely the work of fiction and they absolutely do not exist.
>>
One of the most common arguments against aliens is "We don't see them". We never seem to hold a more strategic view on them. Perhaps they don't want to be seen, or we have no means of seeing them. The fact remains that the universe is a system that has created intelligent life. We're intelligent life, and if we managed to happen then certainly it would happen elsewhere. To hold the view that they'd either be all over the fucking place or that they'd drop on our doorstep and say hello is holding a very narrow viewpoint.

To believe this doesn't mean you have to believe they've visited in the past. You can keep your ego in check.
>>
>>30749
Yes, separate not-me Anonymous.
Aliens are not real at all, and you are all fools to believe in them.
>>
>>30625
It isn't blue shift and it isn't slowing down any more than it would naturally after passing the sun. The color comes from unusual carbon compounds in the chemistry of the comet's composition. I think that and the fact that there are two of them over a short span of time is what makes this news.
>>
>>30781
If you have two comets coming together, what if there's more? What if this is the beginning of a wave?
>>
>>30791
fucking immigrant comets, can't wait for Trump to build an interstellar wall to keep them out
>>
>>30791
Well then good thing humanity has a bunch of intercontinental ballistic missiles lying around with nuclear warheads I guess.
>>
>>30749
>>30766
Aliens pls go back to your planets
>>
Fucking aliums, I swear
>>
>>30234
look like 3 to anyone else?
>>
>>30823
I am on my native planet of Earth currently. So is the other human that you had responded to.
>>
>>30823
I can not possibly guess what made you think of me as an extraterrestrial being. I assure you, I am as much a human as is any other on this wonderful planet of ours.

>>30832
Thank you for vouching for me, fellow human.
>>
THE STARS HAVE COME RIGHT

NOW THE GREAT OLD ONES WILL RETURN FROM THEIR SLUMBER
>>
Is /news/'s first meme that aliens, FBI, NSA, Etc. browse the board? I've seen stuff like this in multiple threads.
>>
>>30839
Yes. It is only a meme. Our great and beautiful government of the United States of America, the greatest nation in the world, would never browse this website, looking for potential mass-shooters.
>>
>>30234
We lantern corps now
>>
>>30765
>We're intelligent life
Are you?
>>
>>30234
ayy lmao
>>
>>30837
They're comets, not stars...
>>
>>30955
No, they are "ichor seeds" sent by alien race known as Scrin, that are bent on infecting, saturating and later invading the planet to harvest said ichor. We're entering a new age of Tiberium!
>>
>>30234
Maybe some kind of comet carrying something that would slow it down jewels embedded?
>>
>>30749
really?
>>
>>34248
Absolutely.
>>
Related:
http://news.discovery.com/space/asteroids-meteors-meteorites/flyby-comet-was-way-bigger-than-thought-160328.htm
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.