[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bernie Sanders says White People haven't expierenced poverty
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6IlGoeDIUQ
Is he kidding me? My father grew up in the worst neighborhood an was really poor. And I'm what.
>>
Well, Sanders is from Vermont, so maybe he never experienced it first hand before.
>>
>>28028
Yeah, the dude who grew up poor as shit in public housing in Brooklyn said that.

He's talking about racially segregated ghettos.
>>
>>28028
My father died homeless, hit by a car when I was 13.
He certainly experienced poverty.
>>
>>28028
>He's talking about racially segregated ghettos.

You mean like what happened to European migrants into America who were Italian, Polish, Slavic, or Jewish?

Oh wait, silly me, they're not white.
>>
>>28032
he grew up in a Brooklyn slum
>>
>>28119
>this makes the statement not racially divisive
Hoo hoo! So we can add words into Trumps mouth but we can't use Bernies literal ones huh?

Thanks for the mask removal Chicago, not that we didn't already know though.
>>
>>28035
People racially segregate themselves naturally because that's how humans are.
>>
>>28028
HE was paraphrasing a black girl's words
>>
>>28127
The Man segregates Blacks, you see.
>>
>>28159
No people segregate themselves. You can just easily see colored skin segregation and wealth segregation.
High school cliques, Sports, Video Games, RC hobbyists, Drinkers, vacationers, gym rats, cultists, the religious, conspiracy theorists. People choose to be with like people naturally.
>>
>>28162
Rationalize it away all you like, but you can't pretend like the institutions of society (governments, armies, etc.) didn't segregate in the recent past more than would have naturally happened.
>>
>>28164
>Dismisses claim with vague statement
Are you saying that the institutions, made up of people, are the forces of segregation or that they are segregated from society?
Can you provide some examples? You are being vague and not supporting your assertion.
>>
>>28156
No, he wasn't.
>>
>>28166
Read a book, or watch Forrest Gump or something, kid. Stop playing ignorant of recent history.
>>
>>28028
HE'S TALKING ABOUT HIMSELF FOR FUCKS SAKE.

HE KNOWS SLUMS WHERE HE GREW UP, BUT WHITE PEOPLE DO NOT KNOW HOW LIFE IS IN A POOR, BLACK NEIGHBORHOOD.

I mean, unless they grew up there.
>>
>>28220
http://ose.utsc.utoronto.ca/ose/story.php?id=2135
"Previous research shows people are less likely to feel connected to people outside their own ethnic groups, and we wanted to know why,"
says Gutsell. "What we found is that there is a basic difference in the way peoples' brains react to those from other ethnic backgrounds."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Salter#Diversity_research
"More ethnically homogeneous nations are better able to build public goods, are more democratic, less corrupt, have higher productivity
and less inequality, are more trusting and care more for the disadvantaged, develop social and economic capital faster, have lower crime
rates, are more resistant to external shocks, and are better global citizens, for example by giving more foreign aid. Moreover, they are
less prone to civil war, the greatest source of violent death in the twentieth century."

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0095660
"Our analysis shows that peace does not depend on integrated coexistance, but rather on well defined topographical and political
boundaries separating groups"

http://msutoday.msu.edu/news/2013/study-asks-is-a-better-world-possible/
"Policymakers have attempted to create communities where a diverse group of residents not only live close to one other but also
interact freely - in other words, neighborhoods that are both integrated and socially cohesive."
"The most integrated a neighborhood is, the less socially cohesive it becomes, and vice versa."
"It's not that local leaders and policymakers aren't trying hard enough. Rather, we now think it's because the goals of integration
and cohesion are just not compatible with each other."
>>
>>28305
why didn't he say "people like myself" instead of saying

"when you're white"

it's pretty cut and dry what he meant, or he's just a really really poor speaker and is horrible at phrasing his words
>>
>>28220
How Ethnocentrists Rule - https://egtheory.wordpress.com/2013/06/30/how-ethnocentrics-rule/

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ideas/articles/2007/08/05/the_downside_of_diversity/?page=full
"...the greater the diversity in a community, the fewer people vote and the less they volunteer, the less they give to charity and work on community projects.
In the most diverse communities, neighbors trust one another about half as much as they do in the most homogeneous settings... virtually all measures of civic health
are lower in more diverse settings."

http://www.city-journal.org/html/eon2007-06-25jl.html

Putnam’s study reveals that immigration and diversity not only reduce social capital between ethnic groups, but also within the groups themselves.
Trust, even for members of one’s own race, is lower, altruism and community cooperation rarer, friendships fewer. The problem isn’t ethnic conflict or troubled
racial relations, but withdrawal and isolation. Putnam writes: “In colloquial language, people living in ethnically diverse settings appear to ‘hunker down’—that
is, to pull in like a turtle.”

http://thealternativeright.com/2016/02/29/ethnic-diversity-and-social-cohesion/

"In conclusion, the totality of evidence clearly shows that ethnic diversity damages how well people get along,
how much they trust one another, and how satisfied they are with their lives. These findings should be kept in
mind when thinking about any form of racial diversity, regardless of the races involved."
>>
>>28340
You're rationalizing away the last 1000 years of racial strife in the west by claiming that modern psychology and sociology has identified the problem. Congrats.

What is it you think you've proven with this post? None of it refutes the fact that you asked me to provide examples of the societal institutions I initially cited forced a policy of segregation on the citizens in the past they interacted with moreso than would have happened naturally, which is an idiotic thing to ask because you could be totally 100% ignorant of history and then watch Forrest Gump can see how racist society was in the past.

tl;dr you, sir, are and idiot. ;)
>>
>>28162
>>28164
>>28166

Fuck this thread is terrible.

Bernie's statement was not a smart thing to say. My guess is that he is likely trying to get attention from black voters but he over generalized and made the statement offensive to much of the working class/poor whites who he is been fighting for for quite some time.

Do whites experience poverty? Of fucking course. There are quite a few white people in poverty and it is pretty fucking shitty. It is easily seen in the rural areas (as well as in the city).

Do people self segregate? Spatial segregation in the city is not the same as you high school cafeteria. Look at the development of NYC. The LaGuardia, the banks, and the fed gov all worked together to redevelop white neighborhoods, and block loans for blacks to leave black neighborhoods. Also, while Moses who basically shaped contemporary NYC built 120 parks in the city but he only built 2 in black areas. Not to mention all the redlining post WWII. When everyone was moving to the suburbs blacks weren't allowed to move out. Real estate, banks, and the fed gov said no fucking way.

Also, blacks were pushed into "negro" jobs and many jobs blacks worked in didn't qualify for social security or the same level of gov protection.

P.S. yes immigrants were poor, but historically their poverty (and ability to move up, I mean fuck Tammany Hall basically met the Irish at the docks and offered them police/gov jobs) was different from blacks.
>>
>>28340

are you trying to say Robert Putnam the sociologist who wrote Bowling Alone blamed the individualization of American on integration?

Putnam then contrasts the countertrends of ever increasing mass-membership organizations, nonprofit organizations and support groups to the data of the General Social Survey. This data shows an aggregate decline in membership of traditional civic organizations, supporting his thesis that U.S. social capital has declined. He then asks the obvious question "Why is US social capital eroding?".[4] He believes the "movement of women into the workforce",[5] the "re-potting hypothesis"[6][7] and other demographic changes have made little impact on the number of individuals engaging in civic associations.

Instead, he looks to the technological "individualizing" of our leisure time via television, Internet and eventually "virtual reality helmets".

Putnam suggests closer studies of which forms of associations can create the greatest social capital, how various aspects of technology, changes in social equality, and public policy affect social capital.[9] He closes by emphasizing the importance of discovering how the United States could reverse the trend of social capital decay.[10]
>>
>>28123
wtf are you on about? Nobody said anything about the racial divisiveness
Anon said
>so maybe he never experienced it first hand before.
So another Anon pointed out that Bernie has experienced white poverty first hand. That's it.
>>
>>28127
>>28162
except there was literal forced segregation of blacks. They were only allowed to live in certain neighborhoods until relatively recently.
>>
>>28166
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Housing_segregation_in_the_United_States
>>
>>28344
I'm not him dipshit, but how is Anon rationalization racial strife by claiming it is human nature? Forest Gump is a fiction. It only represents the creators' view of that time period, nothing more. Don't get your history lessons from Hollywood kid.

>>28388
I don't know how to put this, the "Man" is made of people. And in America we elect those people to office, if the general majority was not alright with racial segregation, it would not have happened.
>>
>Trump says something
>WHATS IMPORTANT IS NOT WHAT HE LITERALLY SAID BUT WHAT I THINK HE MEANT
>Sanders says something
>WHATS IMPORTANT IS WHAT I THINK HE MEANT BUT NOT WHAT HE LITERALLY SAID
Man Trumps flawed to a T. but the Bernie folks cover their ears shut their eyes and yell nanananana.
>>
>>28477

I'm not sure what you are talking about. I support Bernie, but what he said here was pretty dumb and alienates the base he has supported for 20 years.

Also, shit, I don't really blame Trump supporters for backing him. I mean who are his supporters? Blue collar workers who are out of work or facing more job losses due to the TPP (which the mainstream dems and reps can't stop circle jerking to). Of course the blue collar men are afraid of immigrants and blacks because their position in society is already threatened and another group is coming in that might push them further down. (Whether this will actually happen is another story, but the fear is real and rational enough).

I fear Trump not because of his populism or anti-establishment politics, but because of his temperment, his ability and wilingness to create "others" that are easily villified. And finally because I've seen his populist shit before and it was all a lie just to get his own ends accomplished. In "You've Been Trumped" he acts the exact same way by promising lots of jobs for locals, promising an improved an economy, promising protection of the environment, so people will support some stupid golf course he wanted to build on protected lands in the UK. In the end he got his golf course, but at the expense of blue collar workers (he bullied the workers near the course and never hired locals but brought in foreign workers), he fucked up the environment, all while spouting some bold lies and accusations at anyone that stood in his way.
>>
>>28159
look at any density map based on race.
>>
>>28378
I'm not any of the other anons but I sincerely wanna know the dates of these events.
>>
>>28344
reddit: the post
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 0

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.