[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Facing rising dental costs, seniors head to Mexico
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 0
http://www.businessinsider.com/ap-facing-rising-dental-costs-seniors-head-to-mexico-2015-8

Onwards to lower health costs my friends
>>
Thanks obamacare
>>
>>26475

Obamacare has nothing to do with dental insurance, let alone dental care prices.

Health care prices have been rising in America rapidly over the past 30 years and more and more Americans are opting to go to other countries for medical procedures. This is nothing new.
>>
>>26478
Then what is making health care prices rise?
>>
>>26479
prices rise when demand increases relative to supply.
lawsuits which influence the cost of malpractice insurance for medical practitioners also contribute
>>
>>26484
I can't help but wonder if the secretive nature of medical pricing might also be a factor.
>>
>>26516
It most likely is.
Free market and no regulations on prices contributes as well,
>>
I recently went to Belgium for dental implants. It cost me less to fly there first class and stay in a 4 star hotel for 2 weeks than it did to have them done in america. In fact, it costed 1/10th less.

Fuck American dentists. And its not like implants, bridges, braces, or anything other than cleaning is covered by insurance either. That's why American dental hygiene has been deteriorating over the years - people can't fucking afford it.
>>
>>26479
More old people.

There's more boomers than teenagers, and they're all retiring at once.
>>
>>26538
Citation needed
>>
>>26537
You know what would have been even cheaper? Brushing your teeth and laying off the Dew. Neglect, poor diet and stupidity is why dental hygiene deteriorates. Dont blame genetics either, very few truly can play the "I just have bad teeth" card. Dentist BTW
>>
>>26651

Well water. Hippy shit parents feeding me dried fruit and no dental care or medical care unless something was really, really wrong.

> it's called growing up poor, Anon.
>>
>>26653
What did your implants cost?
>>
>>26656

I'm a different Anon with bad teeth. My plan is actually to go to Mexico in the next few years since I can get all my teeth fixed for the price of a single implant.
>>
>>26651
you fucks shill to no end. i call and make an appointment, "my nigger rigged bridge is falling out, need fixing" so they take me in, look at it, "yep we need to work on it, lets make an appointment" here is a bill, the work ahead will be thousands of dollars.
if i lived near mexico i'd be the first to cross over and get shit done for cheap.
insurance shills, dentist/dr's ride it as much as they can
>>
>>26474
>alive during the greatest growth of wealth in the world in all of recorded history
>outsource all jobs so future generations have no chance of sharing in this wealth
>claim all of their retirement money and social security money
>claim their kids retirement and social security money
>claim their grandchildrens retirement and social security money
>leaving us with what america is today
>and still cant afford to go to the dentist

fuck these people and fuck their teeth to be honest family.
>>
>>26484
So, what you're saying is, is that the doctors are bad, so they need to pay more for insurance to cover how bad they are?
>>
>>26479
Capitalism, stupid.
>No socialized medicine
>Insurance companies, doctors and hospitals can gouge whatever the fuck they want
>OH MY GOD HOW DID EVERYTHING GET SO EXPENSIVE!?!
At least we're not commies, right?
>>
>>26537
I'd like more details. I'm considering dental implants in the future, but they're absolutely outrageous. I could get them or buy a fucking house. How did you pick a country? How much did everything cost?
>>
>>26520
Free market brings prices down. The issue with health care prices going up is mainly because of increasing administrative costs dealing with insurance. Ideally, the insurance companies wouldn't exist and prices would have to be determined between the patients and providers.

On the other hand you can do a single payer system which reduces the amount of money spent on administrative costs, but I disagree with the idea that big government gets to choose what to put in my body. Moreover, such systems actually make a coercive monopoly in the form of government contracts.
>>
>>26672
Not the guy you're replying to, but a dental student. Shilling generally has to occur due to the overhead costs of dentistry. Dental equipment is fucking pricey too man. Also consider the fact that our education is so fucking expensive, of course we're charging you we need to make a living too because even though we make a lot, we have shit tons of debt.

I also grew up poor and have fucked up teeth, I've accepted that it was just bad decision making. Take some personal responsibility for your health because no one else will or can to the same extent you can.
>>
>>26694
What he's saying is that there are current laws in the US that require practitioners to pay for malpractice insurance since citizens here are so damn sue happy. Since this is an expense in running our business, we have to charge accordingly to cover that expense.
>>
>>26811
Socialized medicine wouldn't help the problem either. Socialized medicine tends to make contracts with some company for x amount of time. Example: State is looking for a hip replacement tech company and says whoever can produce the best hip will be the provider of all the hips for all the hospitals in the country for the next 10 years, they do so and get the contract. Now we're buying in bulk which is great, but the company has a systemically established monopoly. Can they charge however much they want? Probably unless it's in the contract. Do I like the government chiming in and recommending things to me? Yes. Do I like having options for my health and not having to be forced to choose one particular thing the government is telling me to choose? No.
>>
>>26869
>Free market brings prices down.
Sure it does. That's why socialized medicine is cheaper. Fucking idiot.

>dealing with insurance
Yeah, private insurance CORPORATIONS. See how that works?

>On the other hand you can do a single payer system which reduces the amount of money spent on administrative costs, but I disagree with the idea
Of course you do, because that actually works and you're a fucking idiot. Get back to your homework, Billy and let actual adults talk about economics and healthcare.

>>26874
>Socialized medicine wouldn't help the problem either.
Then why does America have literally THE HIGHEST healthcare costs of any nation on Earth and socialized medicine doesn't. Now remember, even if you go "MUH TAXES!" those countries also have higher wages.

You people are all total retards. The reason we're in this mess is PRECISELY because of greedy, malicious, certifiably retarded shits like yourselves.
>>
>How are health care prices rising?
>>26538
That, and our nation of obese, malnutrioned fucks is expensive to maintain. Our intense work climate encourages people to live unhealthy along with our sedentary hobbies.

We also have a lot of the expensive, cutting-edge procedures and treatments which often get their first uses here.
>>
I guess I was a little thrown off by this article. I live about 7 miles from the border. Literally everyone I know goes to Mexico to get dental care, it's just something people have done for decades now. I know all the winter Texans do it.
>>
>>26811
>he thinks it's really pure capitalism causing rising prices
Put down Das capital and pick up an economics book
>>
>>26880
You know nothing about subsidies and aggregate demand.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 0

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.