[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Samsung warns customers not to discuss personal information in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 0
http://theweek.com/speedreads/538379/samsung-warns-customers-not-discuss-personal-information-front-smart-tvs
>>
old news is old
>>
>>24774
Somehow I doubt they are telling us this for our benefit.
>>
>>24778
I'm sure it's to cover their asses should something unfavorable come their way if it is discovered by a consumer of some kind.
I doubt it's printed in big letters on the protective film that covers the screen and removed during unboxing.
>>
>>24774
>tfw this technology is only ever going to get more prevalent and advanced.
>tfw we now live in a world in which literal telescreens exist.
>tfw I have no face.
>>
>The company added that it does not retain or sell the voice data, but it didn't name the third party that translates users' speech.

>Update, Feb. 10: Samsung has updated its policy and named the third party in question, Nuance Communications, Inc. Meghan DeMaria

Oh good, so Nuance(the third party) can sell it to other third parties. What a wonderful business model for them.
>>
>>24774
Smart TVs are a pointless nuisance - why would anybody ever buy one?!
>>
>>24775
but still relevant. People here might have never known about this since this was reported before /news/ was created.
>>
>>24803
To be the ultimate lazy?
So they can just sit there an make sounds with their mouths and make orange is the new black appear on the TV that they just told to turn on?
To feel like they're living on the enterprise?
To be THAT person with the cool new gadget?
Hell, what about that Amazon robut that Alec Baldwin was pushing on those super bowl commercials?
>>
>>24793
War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.
>>
>>24810
Well, it's pretty obvious that this technology would be a huge privacy risk. I'd much rather press a button than potentially be heard by someone or some thing...
>>
>>24803
There are few new televisions that do not come with the spyware, because the manufacturers make money from it.
There isn't enough consumer push-back because the tech consumers are now everybody, and most people won't care.
>>
>>24821
It is pretty much only Smart TVs though.

There are plenty of monitors without any of that crap.

Stick with dumb TVs and monitors and you won't suffer from any of that nonsense.

I mean, hell, these things NEED to be connected to the internet remember.
You can simply deny it that right as well, if you still want some features.
If you are advanced enough at networking, you can run some wireshark on your shared internet connection to find out the servers the TV connects to on voice commands and block it.
>>
>>24868
all televisions have technology that uses sensors and electromagnetics to alter your brain state in order to lull you into a deep alpha state in which the programming can take deep effect.
>>
>>24882
We just call it reality tv shows.
>>
people still buy tvs?
>>
>>24928
TVs today can be used for many more things than just television.

I don't understand all the modern hipster hate on the television. It isn't the appliances' fault that the people who make programming suck.
>>
>>24793
Tv insurance. Don't forget the tv insurance.
>>
>>24932
There is no reason to buy a TV over a monitor.
>>
>>24943
I don't know what kind of TVs you're buying but mine has all kinds of hookups, from HDMI to standard Coaxial to wifi.
>>
>>24943
Yeah, i'd rather watch my 4k Blu ray rips on my 20" screen than on a 60" tv, it's the way the film makers intended for it to be watched

There is no reason NOT to buy both a monitor AND a TV. If your only reason is that you're a poorfag then you shouldn't be allowed to have a say in things anyway, since the main motivator behind anything will be "I can't have a TV but my shitty monitor is definitely m-much better TVs are shit!".

Sour grapes at its finest.
>>
>>24977
>he can't afford a 90" 4k monitor
>>
>>24793
>>tfw we now live in a world in which literal telescreens exist.

This is what blows my mind. We really do. For real. Out of all the things in the used whore that is1984 hysterically foretold a constant spy tv portal willfully placed in your house that was always on struck me as one of the dumber possible ideas when I was young. Room 101 is much more plausible and probably exists somewhere. The funny thing is it happened so gradually and naturally that no one even cared when it became a reality.
>>
I have a smart tv didnt know i can use voice control...nice
>>
>>25057
What was there to care about? It's already implied that the TVs aren't supposed to be spying on us, so why not use one, I guess?
>>
>>25057
>it happened so gradually and naturally that no one even cared when it became a reality.
I warned you
but you didn’t listen.

You told me that I was SJW.
You told me that I was autistic.
You told me to go to a psychiatrist.
You told me to kill myself.

Now it’s my turn.
I will watch you.
ON YOUR TV.
Avoid saying trigger words at home.
>>
Meanwhile our Dear Leader says...
>I use both iPhone and Samsung. If Apple doesn't give in to authorities on the terrorists, I will only be using Samsung until they give the info.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/700795170023825408
>>
>>25080
>our Dear Leader
Speak for yourself there, /pol/.
>>
>>24774
I am more worried about how I can make my Smart TV think I am cool since my Tivo and Netflix already think I am a loser and constantly suggests lame depressing movies.
>>
>>24817
That gave me cancer. I'm suing
>>
>>24774
>smart TVs
tech is fucking retarded. the consumer is a retard. we "already" have these, they're called "computers"
>>
>>25342
Fact. And “smartphones”.
The latter also track our location.
>>
>>25342
>>25359
Nobody remembers about door entry phones. Some are connected to the Internet to allow estate admin things like remote change of entry code and... listening to your conversations. Even if you have no TV, no computer, no mobile phone and no landline phone.
>>
>>25342
why are people now using quotation marks for emphasis?
t.riggered
>>
>>>>24793
It was not supposed to be a manual.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 0

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.