[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
FBI can't figure out how to unlock encrypted phone in San
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: 600x338[1].jpg (31 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
600x338[1].jpg
31 KB, 600x338
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-san-bernardino-phone-locked-20160209-story.html

>FBI technicians have been unable to unlock encrypted data on a cellphone that belonged to the terrorist couple who killed 14 people in San Bernardino on Dec. 2, the FBI director said Tuesday.

>The failure, the second such case in recent months, has left investigators in the dark about at least some of the married couple's communications before they were killed in a shootout with police.

>“We still have one of those killers' phones that we haven’t been able to open," FBI Director James B. Comey told the Senate Intelligence Committee. "It has been two months now and we are still working on it."
>>
>>22273
Maybe if they didn't ask how on /g/ and get told to give it back Jamal, they'd have unlocked it by now. Thanks /g/
>>
Sounds like a means to an end if you ask me. What better justification do they need to make encryption something you have to register with the government for like a gun or a drone?
>>
>>22279
Except there's, like, no way of finding out if someone used encryption in a case like this until it's too late. And it's not as if you can control the propagation of a mathematical process. It's like if consumer 3D printers were good enough to print working versions of those printable guns, and everybody had a printer, except even harder to control than that.
>>
>>22289
Fair points. I would fully expect 3d printers to require a license as well at some point in the future. Also I'm sure some sort of ID tracking capability will be added, similar to what they already do with paper printers today.

Agreed that it's different for software and about 'encryption' being an attitude that nobody can get rid of.
>>
>>22273
They may or may not have gotten it open. They'll still use this type of story to get encryption, and every last bit of our privacy, banned.
>>
>I don't want a back door... I just want people to comply with the court order...
Does this guy know what he's talking about? Aren't these just the same thing?
>>
>>22273
why don't they pass it to the nsa quantum computer or whatever the fuck they have down there in A51
>>
>>22596
The NSA doesn't work for the FBI, they work for the CIA and DIA and NRO.
>>
>>22273
Give it back, Deshawn
>>
>>22277
>>22321
I giggled. Probably why it hasn't been cracked in two months.

>>22279
That just means the government would be responsible for all cyber crimes relating to data security. They'd be handing out the licenses to compromised encryption algorithms. Not to mention it would be impossible to regulate.
>>
>Steal all your data in violation of 4th amendment
>Build backdoors into every operating system and service provider
>Can't decrypt one cell phone

wew, your governemnt at work
>>
>>22634
They're not so smart without their backdoors, now are they?!?
>>
>>22634
Encryption is just a way of rearranging data to make it nigh impossible to read unless you know the secret key.

It can be used at many different levels of abstraction, and it's difficult to backdoor encryption tools that are open-sourced. Even the security audit for TC turned up nothing serious.

Though that doesn't mean the government won't backdoor what they can. For example, most commercial HDDs are backdoored. Not in the sense that all I/O is forwarded to some assailant, but in the sense that a secret data compartment can be made that can't be detected or erased by consumers.

http://www.kaspersky.com/about/news/virus/2015/equation-group-the-crown-creator-of-cyber-espionage
http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/02/how-omnipotent-hackers-tied-to-the-nsa-hid-for-14-years-and-were-found-at-last/
http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/03/new-smoking-gun-further-ties-nsa-to-omnipotent-equation-group-hackers/
>>
>>22634

Trump doesn't support encryption, so , /pol/ doesn't support encryption.
>>
If they force the big companies to comply to this nonsense, I guarantee that some third party is going to make an app or a way to encrypt phones if it isn't possible already.
>>
>>24573
Agreed, and the company who makes that future app won't be American.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.