[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Scientists get 'gene editing' go-ahead
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 1
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-35459054
>UK scientists have been given the go-ahead by the fertility regulator to genetically modify human embryos.
>The research will take place at the Francis Crick Institute in London and aims to provide a deeper understanding of the earliest moments of human life.
>The experiments will take place on embryos in the first seven days after fertilisation and could explain what goes wrong in miscarriage.

Sounds great in my opinion. Eventually we'll have newtypes & Gundams
>>
>>20471
nice. Great Britain has given the first steps towards un-inbreeding itself.
>>
>>20471
Nope.
There will be genetic perfect ruling class, because they have money for that and, well, "working class scum".
>>
>>20495
There will be an intellectually perfect ruling class, a physically perfect mindless slave class, and the unmodified chaff that gets fed to cattle because Homo Sapiens Supreme does not need it.
>>
Hitler had the idea first. But he had no means.
>>
Imagine a future with no more minorities
>>
>>20539
Imagine a future with no more genetic diseases
>>
>>20551
That's what I just said
>>
>>20521
hitler's understanding of genetics is comparable to the medieval understanding of the elements
>>
>>20518
Why wouldnt the ruling class be physically perfect too?
>>
>>20553
Thats why he funded that hard enough to get us ahead where we are today and other countries "picked on" their scientists and research
>>
One more way to bring us slaves closer to singularity. Where you are obsolete and are not deemed to live. They grow fetuses in test tubes to harvest organs so your owners can live forever while machines grind you into soylent green.
>>
>>20583
We can just grow organs in pigs or something.
>>
>>20583
The problem are the filthy,imoral,hateful bourgeoise who unfairly reached their status and try to enslave the masses.

Only a revolution can save us from the fucking rich fucks,everything they have is made on our backs and do not deserve it,the system is made in favor of fat fucking sleazy rich shits
>>
>>20585
They already do this.

>ITT old news
>sheep
>>
>>20614
Yeah, but this time on an industrial scale so that we always have spare organs hanging around to buy, and if nobody buys it then we just eat the stupid thing.
>>
It'll be literally centuries before we can do sci-fi style transhumans, the reason we are not already doing it besides ethics is that our current understanding of human genetics is so shoddy we can't be 100% sure that making someone more resistant to x disease or slightly more long-lived won't make him become a huge lump of cancer 50 years down the line.
>>
>>20471
>People have "Ethics" issues with this
>>
>>20622
>our current understanding of human genetics is so shoddy we can't be 100% sure that making someone more resistant to x disease or slightly more long-lived won't make him become a huge lump of cancer 50 years down the line.
This is exactly why eating GM food is utterly retarded and buying into corporate propaganda that "it is healthy and safe !"
>>
>>20552
Your post made me laugh.
>>
>>20627
I sometimes I hold a grocery product in my hands and ask myself:
Did this exist a hundred years ago?
Then, when the answer is no, I either put the product back or stop being a faggot.

Depends on my day I guess.
>>
>>20627
>corporate propaganda
GM crops benefit farmers the most. Also there's been independent scientific research been done into this too showing its no worse than selective breeding. GM crops are very different to actually changing human embryos
>>
>>20518
Brave New World when?
>>
>>20627
yes and no.

It's true we know very little about genetics, and all its complexities, but that's like saying you can't make fire without knowing chemistry.

This sounds alarming at first, but think about it: by FAR most attempts at genetic manipulation are failures, and we do NOT truly understand why the ones that work actually work, as we are yet far from understanding every single chemical interaction or protein lifetime in a complex living thing... but we do see some stuff showing desirable results, like fires being lit, and we take those ones, reproduce teh result, test them extensively and then turn it into a product for consumption.

As with everything else I don't trust much the people in charge of certifying they are safe, but if I'm going to start complaining about that I'd go first for industrial dumpings in rivers way before worrying about GM foods.

In conclusion: we know very little about GM foods, just as we know very little of lots of drugs that are in the market that literally read in the package "it is not understood why, but it's been seen to work".
>our current understanding of human genetics is so shoddy
>human
that's the key. Our understanding of GM foods is shoddy, but you can eat them as they are presumably extensibly tested.
Our understanding of HUMAN genetics, is very, very shoddy, because we do not experiment. So we cannot even settle for the "idkw, but it works" that we do with GM foods.
>>
Genetically modified catgirls when
>>
>>20764
Or for that matter, catboys. IDC how y'all swing.
>>
>>20729
>corporate
>farmers
Not exactly mutually exclusive.
>>
>>20729
>independent scientific research been done
>independent
You seem gullible ,just talk to someone that actually works in research and see what he/she tells you about "independent research" done by "literally who" groups funded by "no one"
>>
>this will never be used to breed out homosexality and other mental disorders because MUH ETHIKS
>>
>>20471
Modern society has killed natural selection, and this is the only way we can advance as a species. Technology will bring upon the next stage of human life.
>>
>>20483
top kek
>>
>>20725
This slice of life brought to you by broolstoryco.jpg
>>
>>20623
you misspelled "ethnics"
>>
Please tell me your kidding or do you just not understand what you read.
>>
The problem is, we won't be the newtypes.
>>
>>20471
50 years from now the genetically pure ruling class of excelciites will live in vast pleasure domes while the rest of us live in underground cities, constantly mining nuggets of ectoplasm.
AIDS, old age, cancer, homosexual fantasies, and HIV will be a thing of the past. The mentally ill and impure who make it past the rigorous genetic screenings will be trained from birth and forced to fight to the death in a gladitorial matrix for the entertainment of the masses.
Oil is 30 cents a gallon and China has some pretty nice time shares in South America.
This is the future people, you better get used to it.
>>
>>20627
You know we've been eating GM foods for more than twenty years.
>>
>>20799
Maybe not in the faggot west.
>>
>>20725
Then you are starving to death or what? Or you grow your own vegetables and animals or what? Everything you can buy on the supermarket did not exist 100 years ago. The tomato itself did exist, but the tomato with as much chemicals as the one you're buying from thew supermarket sure as fuck did not exist 100 years ago.
>>
>>20483
>be American
>have British lineage

You can't hide from the truth.
>>
As a genetic scientist I love this.
They aren't thinking about creating a 'slave class' like every fag in this thread is claiming, they are just changing some variables on the embryo to discover the source of disabilities and syndromes.
Also, what the fuck is wrong with everyone here saying that GM food is bad? There are literally hundreds of papers saying that it's safe and healthy. Selective breeding is way more dangerous.
>>
>>21538
If you are not from the Northeast, it is pretty likely that a "white" American's heritage can be best described as a European Mutt.

For curiosity, I took the 23andme test. I am blue-eyed and reddish-blond haired, with ghostly white skin, and my last name comes from Germany. The (Speculative) results were something like this:

34% German/French
28% British
19% Scandinavian
5% Finnish
5% "Generic Southern European"
4% "Generic Eastern European"
2% Asian/Native American
.3% Sub-Saharan African (inb4 one-drop, don't care)

And the rest undecided

Everyone I know would guess me a German, but I really hold no contemporary ethnicity, and I feel it is similar for many in the New World.
>>
>>20471
Finally

>>20483
top kek secundus
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.