[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
German government bans far-right website - Censorship or justified?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1
File: I_screenshot_altermedia.jpg (23 KB, 430x150) Image search: [Google]
I_screenshot_altermedia.jpg
23 KB, 430x150
>Germany has banned a far-right website for spreading 'racist, xenophobic, homophobic, anti-Semitic and anti-Islamic content' and arrested two people in a clampdown on hate crime.
>Germany's Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere said the clampdown was 'a clear sign that the rule of law doesn't allow hate crime'.

>The server was located in Russia to prevent German authorities gaining access, it added. German officials asked Russia to switch it off in the coming days.

>The head of Germany's domestic intelligence, Hans-Georg Maassen, told reporters on Tuesday that 'there is the danger of a gray zone developing between far-right extremists, right-wing conservatives and citizen protesters with significant potential for violence.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3418886/Germany-bans-far-right-Internet-platform-detains-2.html
https://archive.is/bw5o4

(Archived) /pol/ thread: >>>/pol/62324148

Is 4chan next?
>>
>>19915

auf wiederschein, german /pol/acks
>>
please be reminded that racism is not allowed on that board
>>
please be reminded that blatant trolling is not allowed
>>
>>19920
How exactly is this racism...?
>>19921
>It's actualy fucking true
>>
>>19920
>>19921
Fuck off
>>
Can anybody explain to me why the GEMA are allowed to censor music videos? Doesn't it violate some law in the Grund Gesetz about censoring media.
>>
nobody gives a fuck about the grudngesetz, germany is a police staate.
>>
>>19915
I seriously doubt this is actually happening.

I'd believe it some other sources besides Daily-Mail tier clickbait sites were covering this.
>>
>>19936
just a battle for money, they acutally lost the lawsuit but they'll try everyting
>http://sundaytimes24.com/gema-loses-in-court-against-youtube/
couldn't find a better source in english
>>
>>19915
>>19915
Clearly justified. Ban those racist fucks!
>>
>>19915
I don't know what content exactly was posted on that site. It would be justified if they called for crimes. Racism is covered by the freedom of speech imo. Telling people to commit a crime is not.
>as long they didn't tell people to hurt/kill anyone it wasn't justified

>>19949
Here is a German source. The owners of "Altermedia" got arrested.

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/altermedia-bundesanwaltschaft-fuehrt-razzia-gegen-neonazi-plattform-durch-a-1074098.html
>>
>>20033
oh right i forgot free speech doesnt count if its used to insult non whites
>>
>>19915
>is 4chan next
No because 4chan is American and America has freedom of speech. "Hate speech" laws are a European thing. This is actually why Voat moved to America, so they didn't have to worry about Europe's hate speecht laws affecting their site
>>
>>20078
Seconding this. I'm not up on the German constitution, but I thought Germany didn't have anything like a guarantee of free speech like Americans do.
>>
Why would 4chan be the next? Our admin is a japanese living in France. 4chan's servers should be moved to another country tho, like Nevis, Nothern Cyprus, Malaysia, Panama, etc, because they don't have mandatory data retention laws.
>>
>Censorship or justified?

I'm not sure what Germany's laws are on political expression, but I don't think censorship in any form should be condoned. If the site was actually facilitating crimes (e.g. people were organizing themselves into groups and hunting down minorities) and the site's owner(s) did nothing to prevent this, then that goes beyond being an issue of free speech. At that point, shutting down the site is a justified form of mitigation.

If I walk into an auditorium full of people and yell, "I'm going to blow up every motherfucker in this building!" I shouldn't act the least bit surprised when the police come in and bust my ass for issuing a public threat. By (U.S.) law, you can't incite violence against others, whether you're issuing a threat in a crowded auditorium or posting threats of terrorism on Internet message boards.
>>
>>20033
nobody insults whites you dumb racist shit
>>
>>20078
>4chan is American and America has freedom of speech
Sure it does but I'm afraid our fine government might ban this access to this site due to "hate speech" soon.
>>
As far as I know Altermedia was quite irrelevant, even within hardcore right circles in Germany. Furthermore the server is located in Russia. Makes me wonder why shut it down now? I think it was done in context of the current refugee crisis in Germany (and Europe) in a move to appear tough on crime and extremist ideology, and Altermedia was simply an easy target that wouldn't put up a fight (Symbolpolitik). Along with the new Facebook censorship and the general social shaming for being a racist, it's more about crushing dissent.
I honestly think about leaving this Germany, because to me it feels like the fore-shadowing of a civil war or at least a violent resolve.
What do you guys think? Overly dramatic?
>>
>>20145
I also want to move away, maybe Switzerland but I'm a lazy ass NEET who wouldn't contribute to the society by working and they wouldn't want me.
>>
I'm on the left, but it's shit like this that makes it so I can't call myself a "progressive", and have to call myself a "liberal" - censoring speech is against what I thought were the most basic principles of my ideological camp. All this bullshit with cutting out hate speech, providing "safe spaces", etc. is getting fucking retarded. Now the left has it's own type of social authoritarianism to compete with that of the right.

I know this is happening in Germany and not the USA, but over here if this is becoming the position of the Greens and the Dems, then there's gonna need to be a body of people who are socially "libertarian" and economically democratic. What's that gonna be? Is there gonna be an anarcho-syndicalist party? Shit doesn't make sense
>>
>>19915
Hate speech crimes are being used as a gateway to censoring other people, what a surprise.
>>
Criticizing or opposing Islam is now a de facto crime in Germany.
>>
The more you tighten your grip, the more star systems will slip through your fingers.
>>
Are they physically hurting people or promoting violence? Are they suppressing the rights of individuals?

If the answer is no to either of these questions, the censorship is absolutely unjustified.
>>
>>20217
Apparently it was a site for neo-nazis to organize and "meetup".
>>
>>20142
Some of the religious right have always been pro-censorship, but most of the right is largely against most outright censorship. A growing number of leftists, particularly SJW/feminists, are pushing for more censorship. But even on the left, outside of the SJW crowd most people wouldn't support censorship. So politically it would be hard to ban "hate speech." And even if they did, SCOTUS would shoot it down. Neither side of SCOTUS would support a ban on hate speech
>>
>>20157
>I'm on the left, but it's shit like this that makes it so I can't call myself a "progressive", and have to call myself a "liberal"
This, and feminism in general has made it so I sometimes hesitate to call myself even a liberal. It was fine when feminism was a secondary view for most liberals, but now that it's become central for so many on the left I feel more alienated. But I'm definitely not a conservative and am pretty far left on most issues except hating men, so I guess I'm more liberal than anything else
>>
>>20226
>he fell for the 'feminism is just hating men' meme
>>
>>20224
SCOTUS refuses to acknowledge (or see cases about) laws that limit are in direct contrast to the second amendment. Don't think for a second they actually give a damn about the constitution.
>>
>>19915
Farewell, final thread in the catalog!
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.