[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HR 515, The scarlet letter, and ‘International Megan’s Law’
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: wAlBLxpjdGCKAbh-800x450-noPad.jpg (125 KB, 785x435) Image search: [Google]
wAlBLxpjdGCKAbh-800x450-noPad.jpg
125 KB, 785x435
HR 515, The scarlet letter, and ‘International Megan’s Law’

he statute (full text here) requires the secretary of state to affix a “unique identifier” on all passports issued to “covered sex offenders” — a “visual designation affixed to a conspicuous location on the passport indicating that the individual is a covered sex offender.” A “covered sex offender” is anyone previously convicted, at any point in his/her life, for a sex offense involving a minor.

It is, as far as I can determine, the first time in U.S. history that any such special designation will appear on the passports of any U.S. citizens, and I think it should send at least a small chill down all of our spines. Not to overdo the analogy, but it does call to mind Martin Niemoller’s famous dictum (“First they came for the communists . . .”). It is part and parcel of a dispiriting and disheartening campaign (on which I have commented a number of times in the past — see e.g. here, here and here) piling punitive disability upon punitive disability — not just public shaming, but also restrictions on residency locations, employment, Internet use, etc. — on this particularly despised class.

https://www.change.org/p/u-s-house-of-representatives-vote-against-hr-515?recruiter=329453112&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_page&utm_term=mob-xs-no_src-no_msg

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2016/01/06/the-yellow-star-the-scarlet-letter-and-international-megans-law/
>>
>>19696
It sounds like a classic example of government spending too much money to impose moral standards without much to show for it. This isn't going to stop people from going on asian sex tours or fucking underage minors on craigslist, for instance.
>>
>>19696
lol we did that here in germany aswell...
but instead of sex offenders it was jews!

next thing is they put em into special camps^^
>>
>>19696
>punitive damage
Kiddie diddlers should be publicly hanged.
Those who defend them should hang along side.
>>
>>19704
The problem is that what is considered a "kiddie" in one country is considered the flower of manhood/womanhood in another country.
>>
>>19704
>defending the public urinators registry
You do know that people as young as 8 are on the registry right?
>>
This is pretty islamophobic
>>
>>19718
underrated post
>>
As someone who was repeatedly raped by a trusted person, this is stupid. It's just bureaucrats trying to control things that just can't be controlled, getting frustrated, and doing something stupid to act tough for their voters and egos. There comes a time when you just need to move on.

I was messed up for years, and now I'm not.

I wouldn't wish this permanent branding on anyone, even a back alley babyfucker.

People need to be able to move on.
>>
>>19734
How could you say that, when stare rape is rampant within our borders?!?!?!?!?!
>>
>date of birth 17 may 1998
>date of issue 05 july 2008
Are you kidding me, a fucking ten year old sex offender?
>>
>>19718
slept on
>>
>>19696
>but it does call to mind Martin Niemoller’s famous dictum (“First they came for the communists . . .”)

First they came for the child abusers...
>>
>>19708
this guy gets it
>>
>>19697
>government spending too much to impose moral standards

I stopped reading there, pedophile.
>>
>>19718
> A “covered sex offender” is anyone previously convicted
Islamic countries don't convict on that basis.
>>
>>19734
Sounds like you have completed the circle of child abuse, so of course you wouldn't want child abusers to be branded now that you are one and wish to operate with the same level of impunity as your abuser.
>>
>>20006
>you have completed the circle of child abuse
Kek, okay , that's a new one, normally people just call me an attention seeking liar.
It's nice to have a little variety now and then.
>>
>>20051
Gib story
>>
You know, I don't like this law. Marking pedophiles for all of us to see when they walk out into the world is a bad idea. Here is why:

WHY DID WE RELEASE THEM FROM PRISON IN THE FIRST PLACE?!
>>
>1998
>sex offender

just..what? isn't that person 8 years old?
>>
>pedophiles comparing themselves to holocaust victims

This is bait right?
>>
>>20119
>>19989
>>20077
>>20119
You do realize most people on the registry are neither pedo's or rapists right?
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.