[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Humans are causing climate change.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 1
File: apolarbearnotintrouble.jpg (35 KB, 460x288) Image search: [Google]
apolarbearnotintrouble.jpg
35 KB, 460x288
http://www.wired.com/2016/01/please-stop-saying-humans-arent-causing-climate-change/
>>
>an opinion piece
This isn't news.
>>
>Humans are causing climate change

nice meme m8 :^)
>>
Isn't this just common knowledge? I figure the only people that don't believe it are those making money off of what is causing it or people who drank the red kool aid and pray to Glenn Beck before bed.
>>
>>19487
Rich people believe it because they profit and dumb people believe because they love to be spoon fed bullshit
>>
>>19459
Please stop disagreeing with me
>>
Yes it's a lovely religion based purely on faith and absent of fact.

The belief that human beings and only human beings are the cause of climate change.

If all the humans left earth the climate would continue to change as it did before the earliest known fossil record of man. Cycles of warmth and cold would still occur.
>>
>Planet, bursts on fire
>Nice
>>
>>19459
People as a tribe are ignorant fucks. With the belief in man made climate change we have returned to the ancient theory of sacrifice. Cut the heart out of a live human and eat it to appease the gods of climate.
Turning food into ethanol and mandating its inclusion into gas tanks so MPG is reduced while people all over the world starve to death is both primitive and cruel.
>>
>>19534
Cycles of warmth and cooling do happen, and have happened in the Earth's past. They've taken tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of years with concern to global warming and or cooling.

If you know that much about Earth's past, you would also be able to conclude that an accelerated rate of change, that could happen in Hundreds of years, might have been caused by something that happened recently. The only thing we are currently aware of is our significant population explosion coupled with our advances in technology as well as the population of animals, we farm and feed on, growing at a rate to match our hunger.

Now you might live in a place where you can't see the effects of consistently warmer weather, I do. Not only that, storms that are rare for my area have been happening with an uncommon frequency, Tornadoes, high wind storms and ice storms. I live in area that gets snow frequently in the winter and with common temperature drops as low as -10F dipping occasionally to -40F. The past three winters we've had record breaking highs with record low snowfalls, this year at most only 12 to 16 inches, with each consecutive year being warmer than the last. That is also reflected in the springs, summers and autumns as well. It's rained four times this month and on Christmas as well, it looks like spring already and we haven't even entered February.

You can believe that global warming caused humans is a religion based on an absent of fact. That is irrelevant. In a couple decades there may be no more seasons, and sitting by doing nothing or disputing the cause will only exacerbate the problem. It is a fact that Global Warming is happening and it does effect our lives to a very great degree. It effects our fishing and agricultural output, the storm and weather patterns, the availability of wood as a cheap renewable building material and fuel source and a bunch of other stuff as well.

TL;DR your stupid, edgy, or focusing on the wrong thing.
>>
>>19552
" In a couple decades there may be no more seasons "

In 20 years we will only have summer all over the world?????

You are absolutely fucking insanely retarded.
>>
Ancient Aliens is more factual than Man made global warming.
>>
>>19552
>In a couple decades there may be no more seasons
Kek. Do you also believe global warming causes terrorism?
>>
>>19552
"In a couple decades there may be no more seasons"
We'll have to see if God will allow that...
>>
>>19617
The god of man mage global warming will kill us all and destroy the planet if we don't all stop breathing a.k.a. exhaling CO2.
>>
There are still people who think global warming isn't a thing? Uneducated plebs.
>>
>>19467
more like, someone is still in denial?
>>
>>19534
nice projecting
and no, I'm not reading more than the first line of your post, I'm done with people who can't accept reallity
>>
>>19459
All of the """evidence""" that humans are causing climate change is based on """science"""

And everybody knows that science is just a librul conspiracy. Only G*d can control the climate, only He decides the temperature of the Earth
>>
>>19534
You're a real idiot, especially when you can smell the pollution coming from the cars. The world changes but it's not to out advantage. The air will get thinner and the waters will rise. Since no one plans on not having babies for the next 25 years we're running out trek
>>
>>19670
This is bait. But unfortunately religious morons believe this.
>>
>>19459
Okay. But what can be done about it?
>>
>>19721
>Dramatically reducing the global population is the only viable method.
Well then, if you get the opportunity, you should kill yourself.
>>
Love my bullshit propaganda in the morning
>>
>>19699
Teach people how to recycle, turn shit off they don't use, not throw garbage in nature and fine those who throw shit on the street.

Technology is fine but making everything so easy available to everyone without teaching or telling them how to properly use it was a retarded move.
>>
>>19722
I deleted it because I realized we'll get there anyway and I want the party to go on for a little while longer.
>>
>>19725
So the world will cool down if i put my trash in one place instead of another? And DUIs wont happen if we ban drunk driving right?
>>
>>19655
Ever heard of the Little Ice Age and the Medieval Warm Period you pleb?
>>
>>19752
Both of those things happened before the industrial age.
>>
>>19754
Yes, but it's silly to assume that humans could have singlehandedly created global climate change
>>
>>19699
Well apparently scientists are developing ways to trap carbon from the atmosphere via scrubbing towers, but otherwise stop burning carbon.
>>
>>19755
I never understood this school of thought.

We have erased entire pacific atoll islands with hydrogen bombs that burned hotter than the sun and strip mined entire mountain chains until they are nothing but pies of tailings, but somehow it's too hard to imagine that mankind has permanently altered the climate to the detriment of most or all life on Earth? I call bullshit.
>>
>>19761
Destroying a few atolls is nothing compared to changing the climate of a 4.5 billion year old rock
>>
>>19762
I'd argue that simply destroying a few atolls while creating a bunch of unnatural radioisotopes is enough to change the climate, if even subtly. That's on top of everything else humans are doing, like 150 years of burning filthy dirty fuels like coal and oil.
>>
>>19762
Well we've significantly altered the atmosphere and that can easily alter a planet. See Venus.
>>
>>19459
hasn't the temps not went up for nearly twenty years? despite massive amounts of more CO2 being released. how is this explained?

i support renewable fuels but i've seen more evidence that the whole CO2 thing is just a wet dream for people who dream of a world taxing institution.
>>
If global warming was real, why didn't the leader teleconference instead of creating so much carbon pollution; or are the restriction only for us peons.
>>
No shit.
>>
>>19781
CO2 is just one of hundreds of greenhouse gasses that raise global temperatures, not including other pollutants that either damage human health or disrupt the natural environment in some way.

>>19783
There are no restrictions except on companies that use too many polluting, inefficient, non-renewable resources.
>>
>>19781
No, that's just more of the bullshit that the science denialists on /pol/ and elsewhere like to say. It's completely false. 2015 was the warmest year on record. Second warmest was 2014. Because of year-to-year variation they usually go by 15-year periods, and the last 15 years have been much warmer than previous 15-year spans. There hasn't been any pause in warming, it's just something denialists like to lie about when they've been called out on all their other bullshit
>>
>global warming
>real
There is literally snow on the ground right now dipshit
>>
>>19794
" 2015 was the warmest year on record "

Bullshit. Easy to disprove bullshit.

Ya gonna lie there little fella try not to use something so easy to prove false.
A trip to the library and / or a little digging on the net into record keeping sources from all over the world quickly gives evidence you lie or just act as a idiot drone who repeats propaganda supporting scams to make billionaires and governments richer from charging the poorest more for the basics like food, clothing, and shelter
>>
>>19762
>4.5 billion year old rock

You know what changed the climate of said rock 3 billion years ago?

Plankton.
>>
>>19763
" like 150 years of burning filthy dirty fuels like coal and oil. "

That would be removing pollution from underground that threatens underground water supplies and destroying it in a way that is beneficial to all mankind. a.k.a. recycling

Instead we should dig huge pits removing thousands oh tons of material for a few pounds of rare earth metals needed for solar panels, computer chips, and super efficient batteries??????
Instead we should put two complete motors, transmissions, and fuel tanks in every car a.k.a. hybrid vehicle?????

Stupid is as stupid does Forrest.
>>
>>19725
you seem kinda dumb dude
>>
>>19802
Rare earth metals actually aren't that hard to get at. China just kind of has the market cornered on it. They have a fuck ton of it that they can extract for super cheap with out restriction. In a properly regulated environment, rare earths could be mined in a "sustainable" manner for quite a while
>>
>>19811
That makes sense. China will strip mine millions of acres turning them into deserts just so the rich can drive battery powered cars and have solar arrays.
Much better than drilling a hole and sucking out gas or oil easily converted to fuel with very little environmental impact.
Lets just kill off the largest land mass on the planet first and the west will be fine?
>>
>>19459
>"Please, stop..."

Quality journalism. And I was honestly interested in the article's credibility.
>>
oxygen isotopes or gtfo
>>
>>19841
Where are we - Mars?!?
>>
It's quite astonishing how people freezing their asses of an an area of the world having record breaking cold temps not seen for over 50 years will still spit out that the planet is suffering massive global warming with record high temps never seen before.

Faith in religious leaders = faith in government = faith in government / religion approved science.

People want to believe. The bigger and more outrageously obvious the lie the harder they fall.
>>
>>19797
http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/20/us/noaa-2015-warmest-year/

>easy to disprove bullshit
okay. Then go disprove it.
>>
>>19849
>It's quite astonishing that a small part of the world experiencing temporary cold during the winter doesn't disprove the long-term trend of warming over the globe as a whole
it's actually not that astonishing but okay
>>
>>19856
Prove to me that this is the warmest the planet has ever been since it was created.
Ya can't.
Why? Because there were no people there to cause global warming and temps were much hotter.
How do we know? Those same scientists you worship like gods for saying one thing say this also.
>>
>>19554
>>19570
>>19617
It's Hyperbole, but whatever, I was responding to a nutter.
>>
>>19873
>>19552
"In a couple decades there may be no more seasons"

You are the nutter.
>>
>>19858
>warmest year on record
>on record
I have literally never met a science denialist that had any reading comprehension skills. I guess if you knew how to read you would actually do research and no longer claim that science is fake
>>
>>19879
So the science of geology is not a real science. The geologic record of the earths climate does not exist?
Shit this whole global warming theory started off by reading tree ring data both wood and fossilized.
Are you really so limited in intellect that you only acknowledge science you agree with. Good thing you believe in gravity don't want to float off the planet.
>>
>>19459
If you want to save the world then go to the countries who are ruining it IE China, India, South America, and anywhere else that is a majority of shitskin
>>
>>19886

Those countries are willing to change, but they are developing. How are they going to go from copying the west's industrial revolution one second to developing technologies of the future the next.

If our politicians were smart they would fund state backed renewables projects - the services of which we could sell to china and india. Instead we cut funding for renewables and get the Chinese to build our nuclear power stations, which we were capable of building long ago, but lost the skills to do because we cut funding.
>>
>>19918
Massive pollution in china replacing clean plants in the western nations. Why? Pure greed. Who? the rich and their paid for friends in government.
Ya don't get a great price on an i-phone because its made in china. You pay a premium price for it.
I mean come on everyone loves apple and no one really wants to see how they make the sausage. The working conditions, living conditions, poisonous chemical exposure and toxic waste pollution is a real life modern day horror story. They have one plant complex with 400,000 workers. Can you tell me one single western nation whose citizens would not sell their souls to the devil for 400,000 new jobs.
>>
>>19813
It's threads like these that make me cry for our future.
In 12months I will be a qualified geology graduate, and everyday I see my lecturers look a little more frustrated, a little more annoyed...... And a little more dead to the world.

Because "no one listens to the geologist until it's too late, and then everything is always our fault".

Yep. I'm going to hate my life I guess.

By the way, human driven climate change is called global warming because we're releasing CO2 absorbed by flora over 300 million years and thus increasing our CO2 ppm from ~200 to ~400 since the industrial revolution.
Yes, everyone's right..... Climate has always changed, yes it's normally a natural process. In the past the earth was quite a lot warmer, thanks to the rise of plants it cooled down.
Now we're burning those plants (coal) and undoing the process.
Yes it's a natural process, no it has never occurred at the current rate outside of mass extinction events...... We are in a mass extinction event currently, and it's all due to Humans burning shit.

Just wait until the ice sheets melt and release all the hydrogen, then we get to see some REAL heating up. Oh boy! Especially when they raise the acidity of the oceans and kill everything in the local environments.
>>
>>19928
" We are in a mass extinction event currently, and it's all due to Humans burning shit. "

You had my interest. Then you had to go and get all crazy town on me.

You gonna make make big bucks in the fossil fuel industry with that degree. I don't think so. Looks like its unemployment or teaching high school science if you are lucky .

More probably you are bullshitting about the degree or a rich fuck getting a degree because mom and dad expect it not because you need it to find a real job.
>>
>>19938
We are in a mass extinction. It's not all due to global warming, it's just humans in general. Hunting, habitat destruction, etc. But over the last few hundred years, species are going extinct at a faster rate than any time since the Dinosaurs died 65+ million years ago.
>>
>>19938
Not him but,
>Aurochs
>Dodo birds
>Bali tiger
>Japanese Sea Lion
>Tarpan
>Sea Mink
>Quagga
>Laughing owl
>Moa

>to lazy find more
There are many more endangered species as well, and those are just animals.
>>
>>19876
>Hyperbole
>>
Archive? Please?
>>
>>19699
Preach to the converted.
>>
>>19725
People know how to do that, you fucking idiot. The solution is to prove adequate incentive.
>>
>Global warming
>no net change of global temps in last 19 years, even though these last 19 years have seen an explosion in cars on the road, industry expansion, and CO2 output
>the "95% of scientists agree" is an outright lie
>there's been no concrete evidence linking human activity to the Earth's temperature

Alright then.
>>
>>19752
>tons of emission, debris and wastes thrown everywhere is changing nothing :^^^}
You're fucking delusional
>>
>>19691
To some extent it holds some truth. Scientific officials decide what is possible and what is not and the masses swallow their ideas.
>>
>>20216
>no net change of global temps in last 19 years
>I've run out of bullshit excuses so now I'm just going to completely make shit up

Alright then
>>
>>19752
And do you know what caused those?
Of course not, because you've never actually bothered to research any of this, you just regurgitate small bits of information out of context in an attempt to make yourself feel superior.

>>19755
We pretty much have. The only change that would cause higher temps has been manmade emissions of GHGs. Volcanic activity, solar activity, axial tilt, etc haven't changed in any way that would cause the current warming.
The denial is just based on an assumption that "humans can't affect anything because humans are just human, and the world is really big" which logically makes no fucking sense
>>
I have a question, what should the worlds avg temp be?
>>
>>20294
And what makes you think they decide it just because? What makes you think they don't analyze it first and contrast their data? You're making it sound like they gather in a room, smoke some blunts and start spewing bullshit.
>>
Science also says we're in for a period of global cooling in 2030 as the sun goes dormant.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.