[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Critical lack of local teachers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 0
Schools are experiencing a lack of physics and maths teachers:
http://www.odt.co.nz/news/national/365113/critical-lack-local-teachers
>>
>>1879
Everything you need to know is covered by 5th grade.
>>
>>1936
You couldn't even land a job with a fifth grade education.
>>
>>1937
Name that important knowledge you have to learn after 5th grade that isn't directly based on the previous grade's information?!

It's ALL regurgitated information repackaged as new information after 5th grade to make it seem higher, but it's all based on the previous stuff that's already been taught.
>>
>>1954

critical thinking
>>
>>1966
Non-subject.
>>
>>1954
>Name that important knowledge you have to learn after 5th grade that isn't directly based on the previous grade's information?!
algebra, trig, basic understanding of how finances are calculated. Hell even understanding the properties of numbers involving negative and positive, rational, irrational numbers

literature? because speaking at a level equal to your age is important.

science? because knowing how biology, chemistry and to a lesser extent physics works, natural sciences too.

writing? because being able to write professionally and adequately are more than just a few paragraphs worth of shit. Being able to articulate a reasonable argument using reason and logic. Creative writing because I'm sure as hell you aren't getting it in 5th grade.
>>
The fact that people hate to teach is what makes it a very comfortable fall back option for people who can't find the job they actually wanted.
>>
>>2043
Yeah, that's all based on the previous grades just redecorated... Back in the 1930s they let the kids out at 7th grade - and we won World War 2!
>>
As a former teacher, there's little reason to suffer a life of being treated like trash by students, receiving low pay, and having so much of your time being taken away for all this bullshit, all the while you're expected to act cordial and set an example despite all this, and receive little to nothing in return.
It simply isn't worth it.
Literally anyone can "teach" other subjects like history and English, you're mostly just reading out of a textbook, but things like math and sciences still require a certain level of understanding from the teacher, meaning more effort must be put in to explain the concepts taught in these subjects.
>>
>>2051
>Yeah, that's all based on the previous grades just redecorated
and its all new shit you wouldn't otherwise know on your own.

Algebra has its own set of rules and methods particularly with order of operations that you simply don't cover

all those sciences you don't learn in 5th grade, you can't just infer and learn on your own, the chemistry, the biology, the natural sciences, evolution, the like you simply don't learn.

Don't try and compare 5th grade education with a highschool education, there is little comparison
>>
>>2051
That was an era of different strife and requirements, most of america were farmers

Today, education is far more valuable
>>
>>1954
Reading comprehension higher than a 5th grade level?
>>
Who would have thought that continually pushing men out of teaching would have had consequences?
>>
>>2063
Yeah because we're SOOOOOOOOOO much smarter these days....

> Heyyy, pass the bong, Bernie!
>>
>>1879

Fuck teachers. Universities should be allowed to adopt secondary schools and staff extra professors there.
>>
>>2085
More knowledgeable in terms of technology, sciences, etc.

College is largely people specializing themselves to, hopefully, allow students a competitive advantage in their chosen field
Graduate students push the understanding of a niche subject a little farther, at the cost of almost absolute specialization

It doesn't mean people are smarter, just better educated in specific topics and able to compete in a global market - colleges availability didn't make a generation magically smarter - but the knowledge and competition means education is increasingly valuable

-college student

also, you're fucked if you don't have a degree or connections, it's irrelevant if the knowledge is massively important, you'll have a hard time getting hired with a 5th grade education over a college graduate
>>
>>2253
My money is tied up in Napa Valley stocks so I'm well to do for the time being....
>>
Of course there's a lack of physics and math teachers. It pays shit, your hands are tied, and most of the children you'll deal with are assholes. I should know; I've been there. Sure, teaching because you want to make a difference sounds nice but it isn't worth all the hours you'll never get paid for and the complete lack of appreciation. There's only so much of the "you ain't my momma" bullshit coupled with "little Johnny never does anything wrong" that the average human being can handle.

Never mind how, in my area at least, schools are overcrowded and underfunded and they're building more houses and apartments but no new schools or places for these kids to go after school. Teaching is fucked on every level and the people still willing to do it are goddamn heroes and superhuman.
>>
>>2371
There are two types of people who can enjoy teaching

1. People who care about their students immensely
2. People who don't care about their students at all
>>
>>1879
I can't think of a single good reason to be a teacher. Requirements are too high, the pay is shit, kids can't be controlled, and local politics to top it all off.
>>
>>2371
Teachers are treated a lot better in New Zealand. The vast majority who taught me enjoyed their jobs.
>>
>>2056
>complain teachers don't get enough respect
>shits on other teachers
cmon now
>>
>>1879
>hurr durr we are in serious need of X workers
Yeah, maybe if you paid them more, what they mean with this is that the goyim are not willing to do a stressful job for peanuts.
>>
>>1936
I'm a private tutor. Attitudes like yours keep me employed. The teachers give up, the community gives up, and then the parents want Chad and Stacy to get into a good school and they can't find anyone to teach them right. You're literally paying my bills for me fam, graças.
>>
>>2079
Is that what's happening?
>>
>>3862
I'm sure it's caused by systemic misogyny.
>>
>>1936
Spotted the drop out
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 0

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.