[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Internet providers want to know more about you than Google does
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 0
Most of us know, at least in the abstract, that Google and Facebook are tracking our every move online. Even Netflix collects detailed information on our binge-viewing habits, the better to make decisions about which films to drop from its catalog or what new TV series to invest in.

But what if I told you there are companies that can go much deeper than firms like Google and Facebook in their data-gathering prowess? Companies that not only know that you watch Netflix for two hours a day but also how long you spent reading this article before going back to Twitter and, at the same time, that you soon intend to go on a vacation because of all the time you spend browsing airfare sites?

Tech companies might enjoy access to a handful of these insights based on the data they gather when you visit their properties. But telecom and cable companies are in a position to learn much more about you, policy analysts say. That’s because Internet providers can see that you’re listening to Spotify while watching Netflix and Googling for reality TV shows at the same time — whereas each of those sites might only capture a slice of your overall Internet habits. And that gives Internet providers a major potential advantage.

"An ISP has access to your full pipe and can see everything you do" online if you aren’t taking extra steps to shield your activities, said Chris Hoofnagle, a law professor at the University of California Berkeley. Other than corporate privacy policies, he said, nothing under current law prevents broadband companies from sharing information with marketers about what types of Web sites you visit.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2016/01/20/your-internet-provider-is-turning-into-a-data-hungry-tech-company-consumer-groups-warn/
>>
i dont really give a fuck tbh.
>>
>>18306
Scary. Sometimes Google is the ISP.
>>
>>18306
>work at an isp

We really don't care what you do, as long as it works.
>>
>>18591
I'm sure you don't care, and your boss doesn't care, and the VP doesn't care, and the CEO and the marketing department don't care, and the shareholders don't care, and even the advertising agencies don't care. Why should they? I'm just some guy who pays his bill on time every month and bitches when the service goes down.

But, at the same time, somewhere along this pipeline of people who personally do not give a shit about the data they're trading, there's enough incentive that companies exist like those documented here: https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2016/01/the_internet_of.html . There are lots of intelligent people who make their living trying to (somehow) pass around the information that you don't care about.
>>
>>18615

We don't care.
>>
>>18334
The good old
"i got nothing to hide" argument
>>
>using Twitter

ISHYGDDT
>>
>>18334
The facebook generation at work.
>>
>>18615
But then it's not really the isp that is monitoring and surveiling the traffic and selling information but actually other companies.
>>
Oh seriously? lol
>>
This is why you use a VPN at all times unless watching netflix or youtube.

>start using VPN months ago
>ISP gives me a call asking whats going on
>tell them none of their business
>they hang up
>>
>>18615

Your tin foil cap must be enormous
>>
>>18764
>>18618
>>18334
ISP shills at work, folks. Hopefully you're just stupid people.

>>18761
kek
>>
>>18306
>But what if I told you...
stopped listening as soon as I got there. sorry.
sounds too truther conspiracy to continue.
>>
>>18846
That is okay anon it is your choice no one is forcing you to read.
>>
Before you die, you will be able to watch a simulation of your entire life that is accurate down to atomic scale for every moment you have been alive. You will also be able to do this for every person who has ever lived, in all of history. It's impossible to hide the truth. Every bad guy is a dead man. 2033
>>
>>18306

i thought monitoring http traffic was illegal

did that change or was i wrong to begin with
>>
>>18872
CISPA was thrown into the recent budget bill that was passed making it so that ISP can't be sued for holding onto your information.
>>
>>18869
[Citation needed]
>>
>>18989
We're going to hell in a handbasket
>>
HERE'S A FUCKING IDEA
GET OFF THE COMPUTER
-Someone with an IQ that is so big that you can't even type it up today
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 0

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.