[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New data shows undiscovered 9th planet might exist after all
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1
File: 21PLANET-master1050-v2[1].jpg (59 KB, 1050x591) Image search: [Google]
21PLANET-master1050-v2[1].jpg
59 KB, 1050x591
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/21/science/space/ninth-planet-solar-system-beyond-pluto.html

>There might be a ninth planet in the solar system after all — and it is not Pluto.

>Two astronomers reported on Wednesday that they had compelling signs of something bigger and farther away — something that would definitely satisfy the current definition of a planet, where Pluto falls short.

>“We are pretty sure there’s one out there,” said Michael E. Brown, a professor of planetary astronomy at the California Institute of Technology.

>What Dr. Brown and a fellow Caltech professor, Konstantin Batygin, have not done is actually find that planet, so it would be premature to revise mnemonics of the planets just yet.

>Rather, in a paper published Wednesday in The Astronomical Journal, Dr. Brown and Dr. Batygin lay out a detailed circumstantial argument for the planet’s existence in what astronomers have observed — a half-dozen small bodies in distant, highly elliptical orbits.
Continue reading the main story
>What is striking, the scientists said, is that the orbits of all six loop outward in the same quadrant of the solar system and are tilted at about the same angle. The odds of that happening by chance are about 1 in 14,000, Dr. Batygin said.

>>
Neat, so we traded up on Pluto for a super Pluto.
>>
So we found Nibiru?
>>
>>18213
The math shows something is out there disturbing the orbits of other things.
>>
>>18195
Pluto is the ninth planet.

>Yes there's something big in Kuiper Belt. Something as big as Brown Star or just a planet at least twice as Jupiter.
>>
So Jerry can make a solar system with 9 planets after all! The ninth just won't be Pluto.
>>
>>18223
Not that big. They're assuming that it is between earth and Neptune sized.

Frozen ayy lmaos when?
>>
Ye frozen ayy lmaoz
>>
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2016/01/20/new-evidence-suggests-a-ninth-planet-lurking-at-the-edge-of-the-solar-system/

>"My daughter, she's still kind of mad about Pluto being demoted, even though she was barely born at that time," Brown said. "She suggested a few years ago that she'd forgive me if I found a new planet. So I guess I've been working on this for her."
Makes me happy...
>>
>>18213
My thoughts exactly...
>>
>>18195
Nibiru confirmed.
The Anunnaki will be returning soon.
>>
"there’s one out there".. right before The X-files return.. im excited anyway.
>>
Should be named Keter after the 10th sephirot of the kabbalahs tree of life.
>>
fuck and yes
>>
>>18385
>>18195
It should be named Pluto you faggots.

That dinky asteroid should instead be renamed to 1930-RQ46 or something completely forgettable.

We need to restore balance to the universe again. This is our last opportunity.
>>
>>18390
>That dinky asteroid should instead be renamed to 1930-RQ46 or something completely forgettable.

>not 134340 Pluto
>>
>>18390
>anything but Erebus
get out you disgusting manlet
>>
>>18195
can we make this a thing?

https://www.change.org/p/terran-federation-name-the-new-planet-plutwo
>>
>>18407
>or persephone
trash
>>
>>18195
This was postulated in the 80s when I was in elementary school, anon. CURRENT news.
>>18407
Shoo, reddit.
>>
>>18419
Postulated, yes, but they're 99,7% sure of it now
>>
>>18407
I suggested that name as a joke, not a serious proposition. Get the fuck out of here retard.
>>
>tfw born too late to explore the earth
>born too soon to explore the ancient ancestor ruins on Nibiru and uncover the mystery

just fucking do me in already, friends.
>>
>>18473
Why do you think you wont see it?
>>
Dis gon b gud
Im actually excited to hear about this, IF they find it. I bet we are gonna have some spacecraft pass by it or even land on it before 2035, if we are lucky.
Godspeed you magnificent bastards
>>
I, in behalf of /sci/, shall petition that the name should be Apate, after the greek goddess of Despair, Hopelessness and Famine!
>>
>>18407
>1 supporter
>>
>>18468
>change.org
>serious proposition
how

>>18693
>>18419
oi, chill it was just a joke
>>
>>18613
it'd be Ray Bradbury-tier of unrealistic, but imagine if you could see in your lifetime a colony built on a planet we haven't dicovered yet.
>>
>>18407
Maybe they can reroute Tyche to this planet?
>>
Didn't we know apout this planet for years? I remember this stuff back in 2008 but I'm guessing it just now became a thing.
>>
>>19259
It was theorized about for years, but until they started discovering objects like Sedna and Quorar about a decade ago they couldn't make the math match up to what they were observing about the orbits of these things.

Now they are saying that new data shows these already discovered objects are definitely being perturbed by something undiscovered and further out, and in order for it to be pulling on them so much like it is, that undiscovered object has to be massive, like Earth-sized at least.
>>
>>19265
Most of what I've read estimate 10x Earth mass. I haven't read any scientific papers on it, though, so they could all be reporting on one scientific estimate.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.