[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Netflix to block VPN/Proxy users in the next few weeks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
File: netflix.png (105 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
netflix.png
105 KB, 1280x720
http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/14/10767982/netflix-blocking-proxies-vpn-country-restrictions
>over a third of the overall Netflix subscribers use VPNs to access US content
>22 million of them are chinese
>all of them will unsub at the end of the month
Financial wizards at work.
>>
Won't they lose a lot of money? I know a lot of foreign people who pay for it even with a VPN.
>>
>>16928
Likely. I've paid for Netflix and a VPN for years now simply for the convenience of HD streaming. Definitely going back to piracy once the new systems are in effect. The meager amount of content available in my region (Norway) isn't worth the subscription fee.
>>
They don't have much of a choice tbh. The content makers demand it for exactly the reasons in the OP.
>>
How the fuck do they want to block vpns?
The article says that they maybe are going to block the ips of well known vpns, but i am sure people will just switch to less known vpns if the really want to. Or the vpn services see the chance to get extra money and provide an extra service with a dynamic ip.
>>
Like 16942 said they'll only be able to recognize VPN's used by a lot of people. And how else will they distinguish regular users from VPN users.
>>
>>16930

Yeah, the service outside of US/Canada is really basic and poor.

They wouldn't do this if it weren't for the pressure being but on them by the content providers. I'm sure. Makes no sense from a business pov
>>
>>16925
The Canadian one has some okay series but shit movies.

I read entertainment companies were threatening them to crack down on the VPN thing. No wonder they're trying to create more of their own content.
>>
>>16948
even in canada its shit, we get maybe a quarter of what the US has
>>
Fun fact, it isnt Netflix blocking the content, its the production companies who don't want their shit being shown internationally??
>>
>>16980
>>16968
I know the pain, I'm waiting for something better to come along, maybe Shomi will step up to the plate and be better who knows.
>>
>>16925
Oh no, I guess they will have to pirate content!
>>
>>17086
Seriously this
Way to not stop piracy
>>
>have owned Netflix account in the UK for years.
>spend half my year in Burgerland for work.
>Netflix works fine on my phone / pc / ps4 over here AND the catalogue is even bigger.
>bouncing your internet from one country to another to access this content is against Netflix policy
>but using a foreign account when in the US is fine ?
>copyright law has become this retarded and convoluted.
>>
This will not go well ill. just say that.
>>
>>17125
With so many other companies trying to move into this market this could kill them. If another service manages to offer what netflix can't they'll go under.
>>
gg cash
>>
>>16925
"NotNetflix" to quietly release new, untraceable VPN within 2 weeks of lockout.
"I didn't see the last episode of Jessica Jones Yet!" claims hacker.
>>
>>16930
Do they technically have to or is it their choice by doing this?
>>
WTF people being SWATTED this is crazy as fck https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m969XBJOxJw
>>
The internet was the final frontier

Now being conquered
>>
>>17175
it's been a long time coming
>>
>>17087
This is coming from a country that is already infamous for copyright infringement. Nobody cares about Chinese users and nobody should care.
>>
>>17166
Most likely being forced, but who knows.
>>
>can't afford the $5 subscription and watch on a some old xbox360
>>
>>17302
oh for the love of.. they WERE paying. did you copy paste that post or were there actual brain activity going on before writing it?

>>17303
i honestly think they are being forced due to the usual region crap that many networks have. "oh netflix, youre only allowed to show this series to people in the usa". bah
>>
>>17478

THIS
>>
>>17303
There are licensing issues that block them from playing content in certain areas. They often just get agreements on content in the US, not usually in other countries.

I'm pretty sure they're probably being sued by someone and this is the fallout. I don't blame them, but i will unsub simply because there just isn't enough content in my the Norwegian netflix library to justify the cost. But I'll probably come around again if they ever resolve that and manage to set up a global library that is available to everyone, not just America.
>>
>>16925
i'm using kar.cr anyway
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.