[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New smart phones will electronically map the room you're
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 1
http://www.computerworld.com/article/3018733/mobile-wireless/how-googles-project-tango-will-change-your-life.html

........does this worry you at all?
>>
>>15170
New way for the NSA to get the building's layout before you get SWATed. They get to see all your special hiding places too. The technology isn't bad, putting it in smart phones is.

Hopefully they are just gathering meta for beta testing a different application.
>>
op here.

feels like there really isnt much of a use for this tech other than the obvious NSA implications and what the article says.

This is the first I've heard about it and havent really thought up of any good applications for this.

Anyone have any ideas to use this?
>>
>>15177
>Anyone have any ideas to use this?

Modern tech research in a nutshell.
>>
>>15177
>Anyone have any ideas to use this?
Architecture, interior design, carpentry, factory/industrial work, engineering...
>>
now the fed will know you built an addition on your home without a permit and come take ur gunz
>>
>>15177
>>15184
This, also fucking VR
>>
>>15170
I don't understand who would want this feature. Who was asking for it? Was there really consumer demand for this or is it motivated entirely by the wants of law enforcement?
>>
>>15177
...furniture websites that help you figure out if something fits?
>>
>>15177
>game developement
>movie developement
>anything that uses 3d
3d scanning is huge right now, mate. Something that can 3d map something without needing at least 200 images for photogrammetry AND for <$500 AND built into a smartphone is absolutely fantastic.
>>
Someone who used to work for DARPA is involved. No problems here.
>>
So.. it's an electronic tape measure.

I am blown away.
>>
>>15177
The article claims once the tech is in place app developers will do wonders with it.

So far what app developers have done with smartphones has been destructive or pointless at best.
>>
>>15282
>but muh bieber
>but muh airbnbieber
>>
>>15281

Blessing and a curse to me.

I work in construction, its nice to be able to plan routes for my pipes with accuracy to avoid obstructions but the next step is a robot that does my job utilizing this technology.
Also, its nice to be a guy that sees what he's doing in his head and puts the work in to make what he imagined. Not everyone has that ability, I think this technology will level the playing field for dumbasses.
>>
Not overly revolutionary. A similar app, although relatively simpler already exists. It's called Magic Plan. Although I think the difference is the broader application of data that will potentially be available from Tango
>>
Applications for future VR tech will be superb. No needing to make maps/objects, just pull them from the plentiful pool of mined data.
>>
>>15177
Figuring out where the fuck I put my wallet when it's right there in front of me
>>
>>15319
But you don't really plan the routes for pipes though, it's all on a blueprint drawn up by the designer. And with all the different trades involved and ongoing changes, there are always issues to be worked out on the spot
>>
Like a submarine Batman, like a submarine.
>>
I'm perfectly fine with the current lineup of smart phones. I'm content with buying an s5 or something when this phone shits the bed.

We don't have to support the newer technologies guys.
>>
>>15177
Helping the blind
>>
>>15447
kek'd
>>
>>15510
How about we get a smartphone that's actually usable by blind people first? They aren't hard to make, the technology for realtime-updating braille displays is here, but nobody builds it in.
>>
>>15608
because blind people make up less percent of the population than gays, and i don't see any phones aimed exclusively at gays (inb4 someone says apple)
>>
>>15682
Gays are also provided with all senses. Your analogy is fucking retarded and you should kill yourself.
>>
>>15477
This
/G/tard here

We literally could sit on qualcomm snapdragons for the next 5 years and have smart phones that are capable enough.

The only things we actually need to improve in smart phones are ram quantities and physical memory quantities, anything else is a marketing or nsa meme, especially because if devs actually gave a fuck we'd be utilising resources so much better.

Its just a shame that Apple drags the memory game into the dirt, how their BEST phone has ONLY 128 gb of memory is a mystery to me.
>>
>>15736
>Gays are also provided with all senses.

Except a sense of Christian morality and common decency.
>>
>>15757
>common decency
>implying that all gays are indecent
Righto fuckwit so do they all fuck in public?
>>
>>15765
Being gay in of itself is a sin against God, regardless of whether Satans urges are acted upon.
>>
>>15757
>>15766
/pol/ tier trolling
>>
>>15766

Friendly reminder that fucking a man is the moral equivalent of masturbation.
>>
>>15757

Apart from all the gay Christians, you mean?
>>
>>15766

So is gathering sticks on the sabbath, but for some reason you seem fine with that one. Homosex is a sin, but not a special one. It's just the usual kind of sin people commit all the time, and for which forgiveness is there just for the asking.
>>
>>15608
there are apps for blind, that vibrate when you tough borders, you can "feel" like the border is physical. also, they read the texts, of course
>>
>>15755
My iphone has 5gb of memory, total. FIVE.
>>
>>15177
Figuring out exactly what you have in your house, and where.
>>
>>15177
Pokemon go
>>
>>15232
I asked for this. In fact, I went out of my way to do it long before it became news. Reason? Same as digital books. It's good to have your house fit inside your phone. No more homeless people!
>>
>>15682
b-but apple isn't gay? Oh I see, you are being facetious.
>>
>>15766
>>16027
It's like you believe this tripe.
>>
I guess Lucius won't be typing in his name after all.
>>
It is the future Alvin, and I am sufficiently shocked. re: RFID technology and Katherine Albrecht.
>>
Is this stuff hackable and corruptable?
>>
>>16936
Is Real Life not hackable and corruptible?
>>
>>15447
Jesus Christ
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.