[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Plus size role models contribute to obesity
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 1
File: new model.png (86 KB, 283x328) Image search: [Google]
new model.png
86 KB, 283x328
http://metro.co.uk/2015/12/30/plus-size-models-contribute-to-obesity-epidemic-researchers-say-5590933/
>>
Notice it's all about women. Only females are influenced by shit this dumb. Men actually think and realize that cake is unhealthy no matter if you show them a fat dude or fit dude.
>>
>>13194
Yeah, shame that women are so easily lead when insecure. I blame the whole dansel in distress persona that's been pushed on women for ages
>>
>>13201
Kek.
Good one.
>>
>>13203
Um, I was actually talking seriously.
>>
>>13204
That's unfortunate then.
Damsel and distress stories have been around for centuries and never shoved upon them.
The rise of acceptance of obesity is the rise of the soap box for women to shout their moronic opinions into any place they don't belong, one being the rise of first, second, and third wave "feminism".
Women got alcohol, firearms, and explosives regulated; and now they are destroying American society.

Of course I'm not talking about all women, but women themselves cannot be free from such scrutiny because of their over emotional habits.
>>
>>13205
Yeah, you're not wrong. But what I'm saying is the underlying cause is the damsel in distress persona.

For centuries women have been seen as the less significant gender that had to be heavily dependent on men. Now they have rights and power they feel they can do what they want and if a large congregation that's not conservative agrees then they want to be a part of it too to show their independence, which is ironic.

Because they don't openly want to take the conventional advice which was apparently made by the cis white males, because it'll make them feel "dependent" and bring back the damsel persona en mass. A quick solution to their insecurity is finding other insecure women to comfort each other (tumblr, being most common)
>>
>>13208
The problem is giving them "rights" (which don't even exist in the basic sense).
>>
>>13194
yeah...anecdotal evidence supports this as well.
>>
>>13201
>I blame women's inability to decide for themselves on their inability to decide for themselves.
be an hero
>>
>>13220
Uh no, nobody has an inability to decide for themselves, certainly not women, that's just being sexist.

What I mean is that their thinking that they have an "inability" to decide for themselves because the Bible or powerful men in general dictated that women can't be high in power or they need a man to help them live.
>>
>>13215
I get what you mean, there are no true rights in this modern world. But some women (just the profoundly insecure ones) believe that women should be treated with equality, like how men are.

They have a point when it comes to wage, but when you have campaigns that try to push companies with a software development sector to hire more women just because of their vagina then that's a problem to society.

Anybody is welcome to tackle CS, but it takes hard work and LOTS of math practice to become a decent one that's employable to a significant company, there are few women in the engineering field in general because they tend to not get the math, which to me is strange but that's what I always hear in on and offline forums.
>>
>>13231
No, I'm talking about there are no "rights of man", much less women.
Also, they don't have a point when it comes to wage.

Equal pay laws have been signed in to law and enforced for 40 years. Everyone is payed equally for the job they occupy, per hour or per month.
>>
>>13227
>that's just being sexist
lol

like that makes something incorrect
>>
>>13242
No I'm saying you're saying from the point and calling it incorrect. That was hardly the point anon, I explained why I thought you were wrong and even explained my point further.
>>
>>13194

Incidentally, body positivity was never for men. The people who complain about "fat shaming" on Twitter are defending women only, and would still call a fat guy gross without seeing the double standard.
>>
>>13191
http://brentmcferran.com/Brent_McFerran/Papers_files/jppm%20final.pdf

>mechanical turk
>california state university
>posting a pre-edited version on your personal webpage made in MS word

This study is garbage.
>>
Videogames also make kids violent
>>
>>13277
oh God its 54 pages, this is going to be one boring read. Also fuck them for not linking the study in the news article.
>>
>>13271
That's because a woman's body is a work of art but a man is just a person that shouldn't be put on a pedestal.
>>
>>13191
>contributes by making women think obesity is socially acceptable
>the whole point of the movement is for being overweight to be socially acceptable
working as intended. Fat women just want to have a better life without actually having to work for it. If they can get more people agreeing with it regardless of their weight, they'll have a louder voice and eventually get their way (in theory)

What people forget is when you give into one liberal ideal such as nationwide gay marriage, other liberal ideas see that and copy the formula that worked.

Having "plus sized" models shoved down your throat is eerily similar to having gay parades rape your eye sockets.

The message "it doesn't matter, all people deserve to the same rights and happiness!" is/was being parroted by both movements.

People forget that you can't make everyone happy. By making some degenerates happy, you'll only encourage the others. So now we deal with the can of worms we voted for.
>>
>>13194
>cake is unhealthy
Yeah but its delicious. Just fucking ate a piece of cheesecake my mom made because its the holidays. Fucking delicious no regrets. Will just run/walk or work it off.
>>
>>13231
how funny. I always thought it was obvious that the tech industry vastly undervalued women. in fact, it seems that they undervalue anyone who is not a white, asian, or Indian man.

I mean, you can say that anybody is welcome, but when it comes to actual hiring, "anybody" is absolutely not hired. people tend to flock to people who are like them. this is a solid fact of human biology. If hirng rates were truly meritocratic, then we would see those rates matching the graduation rates of students studying for those industries. We don't.

and, look, if everything were straight and fair, then investigation would show that. but to insist that you are doing nothing wrong, and then get all huffy when someone wants to make sure, is usually a good sign of guilt.
>>
>>13332
>gay parades rape your eye sockets.
Hyperbole much. If gay parades wanted to rape eye sockets they very much could. There's not much even an organized police force could do to stop a 2000 person strong rape gang from turning a town into New Sodom (hell it'd probably be a tourism success "Cum see what all the fuss is about! Be blinded by Greatness!")..
>>
>>13204
>>13227
>>13369
>uh
>um
>hyperbole much
Speak with some fucking conviction and less like a 15 year old jesus christ.
>>
>>13271
yes, fat shaming is morally wrong, whether done to women, or men. However, society more often explicitly, or implicitly, polices women's bodies much more often that men's.

Consider Peter and Lois, from Family Guy. or Marge and Homer, from The Simpsons. it is perfectly fine for a fat, slobby guy to have a sexy wife. This is the standard pairing for a wide majority of television sitcoms, reaching back decades, and you almost never see the opposite. Unless the wife is a bitch and played for laughs.

this is what people mean when they complain about "privilege". Men can be fat, buff, or thin, and will still get the girl. Women can only be sexy and thin. fit people of both genders are privileged over fat people in every situation, women just have it worse than men.
>>
>>13370
yeah... calling names doesn't negate his argument. when was the last time you saw a Pride Parade on tv? Victoria's Secret has a fashion show on tv, yearly
>>
>>13289
after setting an hour and a half of time to read this, the article misrepresents the conclusion this study claims and doesn't mention the other two studies in the paper. And fuck me that was a boring read.

While the other two studies confirm the claim that accepting fatties demotivates people from a healthier life style, one study also shows that shaming fatties or accepting sticks does not increase motivation in the sample size to engage in a healthier lifestyle.

To put it simply, manipulation through body image stigmatization or acceptance is not an effective way to control/reduce obesity.

And fuck the writer who put the non-existent quote in... ‘when socially permissible, and individuals exhibit lower motivation to engage in healthy behaviors and consume greater portions of unhealthy food.’ People can't Grammar worth shit those days.
>>
>>13390
>People can't Grammar worth shit those days.
>People can't Grammar
>can't Grammar

Gram it up your ass.
>>
>>13277
Most studies like this are, but people believe them no matter what.
We can now fight neo-feminists with the same shit they base some of their believes on.
In their eyes it's the most credible study existing.
>>
>>13372

Except that both Homer and Peter are portrayed as complete idiots incapable of taking care of themselves without their wives. Also, I won't even begin to talk about how silly it is to look at shows like FG and TS as reflections of the reality of fat men in our society. How often do you see fat, slovenly men with hot, thin women who will out up with their shit out of love?
>>
>>13372
>still get the girl. Women can only be sexy and thin.

Bullshit, the reason that ugly or fat guys get women is through effort, humour, game, personality etc...

Girls just don't put effort into dating like men do, the only thing they work on is their looks and expect guys to do everything else.

If a fat girl had game she could be swimming in dicks as well, but girls of all shape and sizes don't do that.
>>
>>13368
I think the underlying issue here is that there is equality of outcome, not equality of opportunity.

I agree that hiring biases are always in play, in any industry and in any country. However, the solution lies not in "hire more women"; "hire more people of color" - such measures are arbitrary and do not adress the fundamental issues.

What other large employers in other industries are starting to do (where biases are present and where such measures are possible) is to introduce "blind" information. i.e. when reviewing candidates, interviewers will not be given information about the sex, race, name, school, nationality of the candidate. Only skills, experience, qualifications & competencies are given. Therefore the candidates cannot be "screened" for the biases that the company or individuals hold.
>>
>>13194
definitely agree. can't post pic so I'll rewrite it here:
"because when men see na ideal male, they aspire to be like that man, like James Bond.
when a woman sees an ideal woman, she makes a tumblr about how that ideal is not real or not what men want, or a crazy obsessed person who hates themselves, etc.
Men climb the mountain to reach the top.
women complain that there is a mountain top, and declare wherever they are to be the new mountain top."
>>
>>13398
I thought my hyperbole was obvious. What?
>>
>>13372
>Men can be fat, buff, or thin, and will still get the girl
Yeah, because real life works this way and not just sitcoms.
>>
>>13372
>confusing fantasy with reality and using said examples to form your opinions on anything
O im laffin.
No wonder people consider feminists to be driveling fools. What nonsense.
>>
>>13372
Sit-coms were targetted towards women. They made the man fat and stupid so the women watching the show could feel superior. Family Guy and Simpsons are satire of sit-coms.

>>13456
Also this.
People are comparing fat men who are outgoing, personable, and take tons of initiative with fat women who sit in their room and don't do anything. All else being equal, fat women get asked out on more dates than fat men. Fat women get more messages on online dating sites than fat men.
The fact that women are too lazy and/or sexist to put 1/10 of the effort into dating that men do isn't misogyny or male privilege
>>
>>13194
wouldn't even say it's them being fooled. They just toss their accountability away by any rationalization/doublethink they can.
>>
>>13205
not entirely true
the most attractive women back in the day used to be plumper than what is considered a 10/10 in 2016.
>>
>>13708
Yes, but "plumper" isn't "obese".
It has very wide variance over the ages but it rarely ever reached "obesity". Only in times of extreme wealth and leasiure.
Actually the rise of modern skinny/androgynous women today were because the city girls wanted something to set themselves apart from the milk maids on the farm so ate less and cut their hair to create their new informal class.

Almost all standards are set by women.
>>
the epidemic was rolling long before plus sized models became a thing. I think we have to address the big problems underlying it and not stress over these little potential contributors
>>
>>13719
>address the big problems underlying it
But the plus-size models and fat acceptance are preventing us from doing that. We now have a growing group of people in the US and elsewhere who claim it's misogyny to consider obesity a bad thing or try to address it in any way.
It's getting to the point where politicians probably wouldn't feel comfortable trying to address obesity because it would piss off so many voters.
>>
>>13372
impressed you posted this on 4chan
>>
>>13747
fat acceptance is certainly an issue, but we have had decades of the 'obesity is a problem with personal responsibility mantra' and it has done nothing but make the problem worse.

clearly the problem is at some system level factors and big industries such as food and the diet/weightloss/supplement groups are happy to keep the narrative focused on stupid shit like this instead of regulations to change our food supply.

Couple that with a culture that has basically enforced sedentary behavior at work and a increasing assault on workers free time and it gets hard to keep thinking that the real problem is how fat people feel about themselves. The problem is not just delusional landwhales. Most of the people dying of weight related diseases are slowly gaining a few pounds a year until they get heart disease in late middle age. It's the inevitable slow decline of people that is the problem, not the obvious outliers who are easy to poke fun at
>>
No one really believes fat fucks (not slightly chubby women) are attractive.
>>
>>13883
I do for one, but they have to have a cute face.
>>
>>13898
Idk, personally I'd take a fit girl with a busted face over a fat model any day. I think the fat models look good in airbrushed pictures, but once you're up choose and they have the shirt off its just not appealing to me at all.

Plus if she's got a nice body and a bad face then at least she's trying, so bonus points for inner beauty
>>
>>13873
People being irresponsible idiots can very much still be the problem if most people are still uneducated about their personal health and don't have the necessary mental tools to overcome being overweight.

I hate this form of reasoning; 'It's not a personal problem, it's a cultural problem'. Well guess who makes that culture? The people in it. People are not being preyed upon by companies, they simply lack the mental fortitude to control themselves. Losing weight is not about moving more, but eating less.

And don't start with problems with nutrition and sedentary lifestyles. Once we fix the problem with the obesity epidemic, then we can start fixing the rest.
>>
>>13456
100% this!
I mean, generally in my life I have been the one asked out by ladies, and despite having dated generally fit, good looking girls, I have been going out with my tall, pudgy girlfriend for 7 years now. Is it for her looks? NO. She is maybe a 5. 4 if you don't like chubby chicks, and I have dated a personal trainer. But those girls were bitchy, entitled, and put no effort after getting me invested in the relationship.
My girlfriend however she looks, is hilarious, sweet, cooks like a champ, and is a wildcat in the sack! She gets along with all my friends, is super outgoing, always cracking jokes. Nobody fatshames her except jealous bitches, since she is so damn likeable. Male privelege is basically a myth, except if you are a bitch, and that is the secret truth of it.
>>
>>13491
However that is unintentionally working against the american equal opportunity act.
Of course the newer generations can't tell the difference between the two.
>>
>>13194

Well almost all women only care about what they think other people think is cool.
Even the best of them are mostly beholden to this tragically desperate desire to be seen as cool.

I cannot imagine being trapped in a mind so utterly simple.

Seeing glamour pictures of fat people is all it takes.

There are plenty of effeminate men who are just as mentally caged, though to be fair, fam.

Sucks that most people are fucking retarded, but that's the nature of the bell curve, I suppose.
>>
>>13368
i work in CS, and i just want to say that the biggest thing the interviewers care about is whether you can write a decent program or not.

during my last semester, i applied for a job at a local software company. the interview was the same old shit, except they wanted me to write a program that could automate a companys payroll system.
since writing a payroll program is pretty common in 1000 level computer classes, i wrote a really good one. then the next week at school, i was talking to my hispanic classmate. it turns out we applied to the same job, and had the same exact interview, we even wrote the same program pretty much for the payroll.

fast forward one year, i share a cubicle with him. there are a couple women in our department, and guess what, they are all really good programmers.

interviewers arent racist, fuck a third of the time they arent even white.
>>
>>13194
>Only females are influenced by shit this dumb.
>Men actually think and realize that cake is unhealthy.
>>>/hm/1287302
>>
>>13243
Your entire ideology is the equivalent to a plastic toy that is tossed in the trash when it's not needed, you are a brainless puppet.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.