[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fat activist: 'exercise and diets are constructs'
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 1
File: 1433594205111.jpg (20 KB, 600x315) Image search: [Google]
1433594205111.jpg
20 KB, 600x315
A self-proclaimed fat activist, Virgie Tovar, promoted the idea that overweight people are an oppressed class at a University of Minnesota event called “Dispelling Myths: Fat, Fatphobia, and Challenging Social Stereotypes.”

The event, held on International No Diet Day (May 6), was sponsored in part by the university’s School of Public Health and its Office for Equity and Diversity.

"Weight loss is not a realistic goal for most people."

“Fat activism” puts overweight individuals into a category with other groups of people who claim to be oppressed. It puts the blame of being fat on society as a whole instead of the individual.

Tovar, who gave her talk through Skype, told the small crowd in attendance that negative body perceptions are taught through societal mechanisms, and that overweight people cannot lose the extra fat.

“Weight loss is not a realistic goal for most people,” Tovar said.

She claimed 80 to 90 percent of people will regain the weight that they lose while on a diet and that it is important for people to realize that “the body you have now is the only body you will ever have.”

Tovar said diet culture is a tool of “white heteronormative society” and declared that “exercise and diets are constructs.” Society, she said, is fat phobic and that “Fat phobia is a form of bigotry, is a form of discrimination.”

Tovar harped about discrimination regarding choices in sexual partners, how chairs are designed, and public transportation usage. In fact, Tovar claimed that fat shaming has made her avoid public transportation during peak hours.

At no point did Tovar address deaths caused by heart failure or diabetes. Tovar also failed to mention the fast food industry, instead decrying diet industries and doctors who she does not think are qualified to speak about health.

http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=7566
>>
What a lazy cunt.
>>
>>43574
>Tovar said diet culture is a tool of “white heteronormative society”

If this fat cunt lived outside of White Society for a minute, she'd realize that most people can't afford to be fat, lazy cunts.

Kind of hard to be a fat piece of shit when you need to harvest your own food, and it's especially hard being a fat piece of shit when you don't live in a country where, if you're a fatter piece of shit than most, they'll give you a pension for being disabled where you can spend money you didn't earn on food to be an even fatter piece of shit than before.

Only reason why fat people are beloved in poorer nations is because when people see a fat person amidst all the poverty, they can say "wow, that fat fuck must be doing something right!" God DAMN I fucking hate fat first worlders.
>>
>>43574
I bet she did it over Skype because her crane was broken. And it is obvious this was all because of sex wIth her trying to say that you are oppressing and deserve to be jailed if you don't fuck every fat chick that asks for it.
>>
>Fat activist
More like an inactivist am I right?
>>
>>43713
Very nice.
<-- Pretend there's a reaction image of a laughing anime.
>>
I am so fucking triggered
>>
>>43612
>Only reason why fat people are beloved in poorer nations is because when people see a fat person amidst all the poverty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-opn0LzBR8&t=475
>>
>>43574
Why does anything take these idiots seriously? Does nobody vet guest speakers at this university before they take the stage? Honestly this sort of thing just makes everyone involved look stupid
>>
>>43574
>Tovar said diet culture is a tool of “white heteronormative society” and declared that “exercise and diets are constructs.” Society, she said, is fat phobic and that “Fat phobia is a form of bigotry, is a form of discrimination.”

What a time to be alive
>>
>>43574
Looks like Rosanne
>>
>>43574
Isn't she like totally appropriating nigger culture by spoofing the "thug life" tattoos? That is so fucking problematic I literally just had five consecutive panic attacks.
>>
>>43780
Your knowledge of victim speak is bordering uncanny valley.
>>
>>43611
/thread
>>
I have a BBW fetish, so these last few years have been great.
>>
>>43795
You realize your fetish is arguably even more damaging to the fabric of society than furfags right? At least have some fucking shame.
>>
>>43795
>beautiful
>>
What the fuck does heterosexuality and race have to do with being/hating fats, tho?
>>
>>43823
They are just buzzwords. Remember when Zapp Branigan told Kiff how to talk to women? Throw as many phrases out as you can, as quickly as you can.

Lefties live their life by that, throw out a privilege, a hetero something and the classic fucking white male, and you have a lefties debate script.
>>
>>43574
Humor me.
>>
>Tovar claimed that fat shaming has made her avoid public transportation during peak hours.

Good. Fucking dunce should learn how to walk every now and again.
>>
>>43574
>CHUB LIFE
NO WELFARE 4 U FATTY
>>
Can people please stop giving attention to these people? Don't read the articles. Don't talk about them. They just feed off of it like everything else
>>
>>44018
Which people anon?
>>
>>44019

OP and anyone spreading this """"""news""""""
>>
>>44022
What is wrong with the news?
>>
these people make me want to work out even more, even though im not fat. every small piece of flab on me shall remind me that i cannot become that degenerate
>>
>>44024
I think his point was that it isn't "news". It's some overweight person's opinion.
>>
>>44070
There is one bit of new buried in there
>The event, held on International No Diet Day (May 6), was sponsored in part by the university’s School of Public Health and its Office for Equity and Diversity.

So now you know that the University of Minnesota School of Public Health is garbage.
>>
>>44088
>Your tax dollars at work!
I wonder what the partial sponsorship was for. Donuts?
>>
>>43574

>small crowd

In number, maybe.
>>
I call Western Post-Scarcity Privilege.
Punishment is 5 years in an African country that's almost starving.
>>
>>43612
As a third worlder I concur. When I see a fat person they are always driving an expensive as fuck car and have an iphony. Both of those things are literally unaffordable for the avg Joe.

There's literally a fine for having more than 2 kids in my country as well and Mudslims are always complaining because they are too retarded to use condoms or any other contraceptive.

Idk why first countries even have that retarded welfare system. Especially since I see ne'er cucks here posting hacks to cheat their ways to a welfare or disability check easily.
>>
>talks shit on diets but doesnt mention exercise at all
People like this twat should just be killed. Seriously, theres a point where you start to drag down humanity as a whole and we have crossed it. Waste of my tax dollars to keep alive someone like this
>>
Welcome to the future
>>
Every time I see articles like this I lose a bit more faith in humanity.
>white heteronormative society
Bitch needs to shut the fuck up because she clearly has no idea what she's talking about.

>>43780
Yes, she is. "Supporting" one group of people while appropriating another.
>>
How is anythung she is railing against 'the die-iting of the lite' have anything whatsoever to do with anything being heteronormative? Gay men are probably among the most fit, and for men, being overweight pretty much garuntees an absense of every romatic activity, while obese women can (probably) be much more sexually active than their male counterparts. Just nonsense if true.
>>
>>43798
>BBW fetish encourages more women to be fat
>furry fetish encourages more women to dress up like cats and bunnies
More furfags might be nice
>>
>>43823
>>43774
>>43612
I'm surprised she didn't mention Patriarchy. Usually fatties blame males before they blame white people and straight people. Obviously cishet white males are the ultimate evil, but of those it's usually the male that's the worst, especially to the fat-acceptance crowd
>>
there's an ad out right now for some medication where the actor says, "binge eating disorder is something I have, not something I do."
>>
>>45353
underrated post
>>
>>45353
kek
>>
>>43574
>"Weight loss is not a realistic goal for most people."
true

because they have zero accountability or willpower.
>>
>>43574
>, was sponsored in part by the university’s School of Public Health
>>
>>43799
exactly. no such thing as a beautiful fat fuck
>>
>>43899
topkek
>>
>>27405103
I hate to be a blogger here,
but this shit offends me. I've been exercising, and dieting for nearly a year now, I've lost 50 pounds of fat, and I expect to lose another 50 pounds. Then people like the one in the OP, have the balls to declare that I'll never be healthy, and I can be happy being fat since it's not my fault.

I'm so happy that I ignored this shit like this when I first started. I hope nobody listens to this fat activist (fativist) when making the start to losing weight.
>>
>>45815
It sounds like you're doing great, anon. Keep up the good work. It's nice to see when people actually pursue the changes they want in their life rather than the cognitive calisthenics this lady is doing.
>>
>>43574
>oppressed class
>discrimination

yeah its really not cool to be a dick to fat people but why are these people so deluded to think that STAYING fat is good

not only on your health but other peoples tax dollars
>>
The more I think of these heffers trying to lay blame on "muh genetics" the more I'm reminded of the league of fatties from Judge Dredd
That being said, I do geniunely find fat girls attractive, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't try and be as healthy as possible
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.