[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 1
File: 1444445625358.jpg (31 KB, 600x315) Image search: [Google]
1444445625358.jpg
31 KB, 600x315
During a "Managing Microaggressions" event last Monday at the University of Virginia, students spoke out against microaggressions like identifying as “American” and criticizing someone’s taste in food.

The event, which was hosted by the Queer Student Union, was described as an opportunity for students to tell “stories of microaggressions they have experienced in their lives and [frame] them inside of the larger forces of their respective worlds, such as identity, culture, and others.”

“I’m not gonna lie; when I see somebody who looks like a stereotypical frat brother, I get scared to share certain things.”

A Hispanic student from the School of Education began by declaring that “I refuse to take up [the] identity” of “American” because “this country has decided to take it upon itself to identify as an entire hemisphere,” which he called “the most blatant microaggression in the context of this country.”

Instead of American, the student said he identifies as Latinx, queer, socioeconomically disadvantaged, and from Southern California. Later, recounting the time he told his mother he was queer, he noted her response of “I love you. Do you need to speak to a counselor?” “as if though my sexuality’s…some mental health problem that I had to deal with.”

The Hispanic student also took offense when people criticized his food taste, saying “don’t insult something that I like just because you don’t….My taste, whether it’s my orientation or my food are mine….You’re insulting the taste of the people that I grew up with…an entire subculture…an entire people that you don’t even know exist.”

“Please don’t tell me you wear those together” was another microaggression, reportedly suffered by female Hispanic student Hannah Melissa Borja, when a friend saw Borja in cow skin boots and a poncho her family had passed down to her.

http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=7565
>>
During her speech, Borja called out her “closest friend,” Logan, who was in the audience and allegedly guilty of perpetrating the latest microaggression against her, recalling that before she went to an interview with a Latino law firm employee, Logan told her to “remember to use your best Spanish and don’t speak with an accent.” When Borja said “I can’t help my accent,” Logan responded “you know what I meant; don’t eat your ‘r’s or your ‘s’es.”

Speaking to the event’s attendees, Borja said “I do know what he meant…don’t talk like Puerto Rican, don’t be the stereotypical, Puerto Rican girl who has no business being in the professional world. Don’t be you, go home.”

A female Muslim student in a hijab later claimed she had been told “no one’s going to be physically attracted to you; isn’t that the point of the headscarf?” and “how do we know you’re a girl? You’re probably bald under there.”

She also complained about two competing stereotypes of Muslims who wear the hijab, one in which they are “asexual, unfeminine, and prudish…the sexually uninterested veiled woman” and another “orientalist one” that has led to “privileged white men [who] think it’s okay to drunkenly grab me as I walk down the Corner and ask me what I’m hiding.”

Another speaker, Francesca Callicotte, said that if people don’t call out microaggressions, “the unintentional will become intentional and impulsive ignorance will become premeditated aggression.”

Some students had complaints that arguably went beyond “microaggressions.” A black woman described a relationship she had with a white man in which “the barrage of microaggressions began” when he called her “brown sugar” and referred to her as a “shiny token.” The relationship culminated in the man sometimes saying the n-word, “the white race is just superior, but you’re the exception,” and telling her he wanted an all-white America.
>>
During the dialogue period, students were instructed to introduce themselves and their pronouns, “use ‘I’ statements,” and “follow proper turn-taking procedure (wait for 2 people to talk in between the times you speak and speak again).”

At Campus Reform’s table, one student noted that “a lot of older white men” speak to her in ways she deems “disrespectful.” Another said “I’m not gonna lie; when I see somebody who looks like a stereotypical frat brother, I get scared to share certain things.” A student also mentioned that she “loved” when the speakers talked about “correcting people” while still maintaining friendships.

When one student expressed discomfort with “the r-word,” or “retarded,” Campus Reform asked if she would be fine with it being used scientifically to refer to a slower growth process, to which the student said context mattered.

Another student almost referred to her older brother as “severely autistic” instead of “autistic,” but quickly corrected herself, saying “I’m still unlearning some things, too.” Regarding the r-word, she said “I just hate that word in general” and alluded to the US government’s replacement of the term “mental retardation” with “intellectual disability.”
>>
Campus Reform also asked students how they felt about racist and sexist jokes and games like Cards Against Humanity. Some students thought jokes were alright if they “punched up” vs. “punched down.”

When Campus Reform brought up the Charlie Hebdo shooting and the question of what is and is not acceptable as satire, some students agreed with the magazine’s right to freedom of expression, but one said “if people are being degraded by these stereotypes and they’re uncomfortable with it, I think that’s enough reason to not use it and I’m just very uncomfortable with the tendency to immediately just start picking apart Islam.”

None of the students, however, could answer precisely who should be allowed to determine which jokes are off limits.

Reflecting on the growing hostility to PC culture, one student said “the person who’s usually calling people crybabies is usually coming from a place of privilege where they’ve never been attacked on anything and then as soon as they are, it’s ‘oh God, everyone’s being so horrible.’”
>>
What a load of old shit.

"You can't criticize me because it's mean."

Grow some balls for Christ sake.

"I don't identify as American."

Then get out of America.

“I’m not gonna lie, when I see somebody who looks like a stereotypical frat brother, I get scared to share certain things.”

So she's a bigot then.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29kcLy37IhY

Into Music, songs by composer Alexandrov "Holy War", on the Red Square enter the state flag of the Russian Federation and the LEGENDARY VICTORY BANNER. Banner group of military battalion honor guard of the 154th detached commandant Transfiguration regiment passes near the parade line army division, tribunes with veterans and guests of honor. '71 Ago, during the battle for Berlin, the soldiers of the 150th Division Idritsa sergeant Mikhail Yegorov and junior sergeant Militon Kantariya hoisted the flag over the defeated Reichstag. Since then, this "attack flag" - is a VICTORY BANNER.
>>
But what's wrong with saying severely autistic? I mean, it's the autism spectrum, a range of severity. Especially since dsm 5.... If someone is severely autistic that's the proper way to describe it, to give it more context.

Same with the term America. Of course it's flawed, just like saying western only refers to select countries or saying Africa only really ever refers to sub saharan Africa. But that's the way they're used and finding offense in them is just (is retarded too ironic to use here?) silly, imo
>>
Well, US being america IS WRONG. The right thing would be unitedstatian or something like that.
>>
>>43558
The same thing that's wrong with being called retarded. They don't like to be labeled anything other than normal, even though they're fucking not. Guarantee you, eventually calling someone autistic will become a slur.

About the thread in general: this is why I don't want to go back to school despite very high test scores. My humor is off color, should I be overheard making a joke by one of these whiney faggots then that could spell my expulsion, or at the very least a monumental headache for me.

Kind of funny that them creating their own bullshit little safe space makes it an unsafe place for me and my ilk.
>>
So this is what it feels like to have a nation try and commit cultural suicide.
>>
>>43563
It already is
>>
>>43546
>The Hispanic student also took offense when people criticized his food taste, saying “don’t insult something that I like just because you don’t….My taste, whether it’s my orientation or my food are mine….You’re insulting the taste of the people that I grew up with…an entire subculture…an entire people that you don’t even know exist.”
Mexifag can't take the bantz.
>>
>>43559
We're just Yankees.
Then again, the South wouldn't agree.
>>
>LatinX

Was his ethnicity co-founded by Elon Musk?
>>
>>43602
I found that odd, especially considering I've heard it referred to as latin@ which is used because it covers both Latino and Latina - and allows for a gender neutral and stylistically pleasing way of referring to either a man or woman from Latin America
>>
There's absolutely no way people said this shit with a straight face.

And what's with the blatant hypocrisy? You do not want to be generalized, but refer to a group of people as white. White is not a race, it's a color. Many people from many greatly differing backgrounds have white skin. It's not offensive, but seriously? Why should I take you seriously if you don't take yourself seriously?

Also, microaggression means "...describe insults and dismissals he regularly witnessed non-black Americans inflict on African Americans."
>>
>>43546
>criticizing someone’s taste in food

So does that mean I can enjoy Mexican food too, or does that still make me a culture-appropriating piece of shit?
>>
>>43546
God damn lefties are the most pathetic people in the world.
>>
>>43604
>Language has linguistic gender
>Scream and cry and demand a removal of linguistic gender

>Language does not have linguistic gender
>Scream and cry and demand the adoption of linguistic gender

They can't

>>43615
You misunderstand. This isn't something Leftists are doing, it's something empires do. Whenever an empire absorbs a group of people (by any means) it breaks down their culture until it is dust and then rebuilds it in a way that benefits the empire. There are no Irish, Germans, Italians, Swedes, Danes, or Frenchmen. There are "Whites". There are no Nigerians, Congolese, Zulu, Bantu, or Khoisan. There are "Blacks". There are no Mexicans, Mestizos, Chileans, Cubans, or Puerto Ricans. There are "Hispanics". The culture and ideas of Chinamen, Danes, Zulu, and Cubans cannot be controlled. But the culture and ideas of generalized luke warm pseudo-cultures (and what it means to BE a part of these cultures) can be controlled.

Similarly, the British Empire did it with the Scots, the Irish, the Ghurkas, and the Sikhs. The Scots and Irish were abused and downtrodden for a good period of time until thoroughly demoralized. The empire could then come in and rebuild their quaint, rustic, well meaning if thick headed cultures and practices into something useful (Soldiers, namely) that could be consumed in a manner that benefited the empire first.

What the idiot in the OP is talking about is not insults against his people as he has none (He is after all a "Hispanic"), but rather he is complaining that his consumer culture does not have enough money as another consumer culture. "Leftists", "Liberals", "Boot lickers", "Bourgeoisie", every ideology has a term for these people: People who have dove so far into the consumer culture(s) the empire has created that they assume these consumer cultures are "Natural" rather than entirely constructed.
>>
Buddy, what the fuck is a microaggression?

A: Your own damn insecurity. If you don't want to be offended, then sleep all day.

Remember... what others think of you is none of your damn business.
>>
>>43633
A microaggression is what used to be simply referred to as a faux pas. Only that doesn't sound scary enough. Gotta make every social interaction carry the weight of international diplomacy.
>>
>>43646
>>43633
Both wrong. Micro aggresion is passive aggression

>>43625
You said absolutely nothing while sounding smart. You should go into academia or politics
>>
>>43654
>Micro aggression is passive aggression
Why isn't it called passive aggression?
The difference is clear: these are imagined slights by a generation of insecure, sheltered idiots.
>>
Here's a good video about microaggressions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5VBZuW35oU
>>
>>43546
>“I’m not gonna lie; when I see somebody who looks like a stereotypical frat brother, I get scared to share certain things.”

Woah now, projecting ideas onto someone just because of how they LOOK?

Now who have I heard criticize others for doing that very same thing before?

Fucking liberals can't even see the irony in their own statements.
>>
>>43657
It isnt called passive aggression because thats what SJWs do to other people so they need a different word when others do it to them to cover the hipocrosy
>>
>>43687
Oh you mean like 99% of 4chan /pol/erinas that run their mouth on full, yet keep a strict, submissive beta personality and attitude towards their surroundings for fear of being outted as the wastes of space they really are? Because if not, looks like someone else needs to learn more about hypocrisy.
>>
>>43625
>complaining about imperialism and saying culture doesn't exist
>>43722
>No u
The caliber of person who defends microaggressions.
>>
Everything is awful
>>
>>43747
It's not that culture doesn't exist, it's that the cultures the empires create are controlled and sterilized.
>>
>>43722
This is bait.
>>
>>43867
This is damage control
>>
>>43619
No, you can enjoy it.
This asshole needs to stop appropriating western cultures, and needs to do this speech in his native Spanish.
He has to stop using Arabic numbers and letters, hand over the corn tortillas (native American) and chilies, and take up bullfighting.
>>
>>43563
>My humor is off color, should I be overheard making a joke by one of these whiney faggots then that could spell my expulsion, or at the very least a monumental headache for me.

Already got Jewed out of a class. Sick cunts don't even realize that they're bullying.
>>
>>43546
i want to kill
>>
>>43546
>“I refuse to take up [the] identity” of “American” because “this country has decided to take it upon itself to identify as an entire hemisphere,”

Autism
>>
>>43546
>“Please don’t tell me you wear those together” was another microaggression, reportedly suffered by female Hispanic student Hannah Melissa Borja, when a friend saw Borja in cow skin boots

Literally a microaggression against indians
>>
>>43559
That's not the point

The point is when someone says "american" you should know what they mean based on context, unless you're an aspie. They aren't claiming to represent 2 continents or that the united states is is all of america on its own.

Language isn't made by committee, it's made by real world use. Sometimes, really most of the time, things don't turn out in a way that makes sense. It's not a problem.

Not only is unitedstatesian hard to say, but by using it in conversation you would literally lose 10 seconds of your life waiting for people to process what the fuck is wrong with you.
>>
>>43604
The dominate masculine capital O encircles the lowercase feminist a

I am microaggressed, see me after class
>>
>one student said “the person who’s usually calling people crybabies is usually coming from a place of privilege where they’ve never been attacked on anything and then as soon as they are, it’s ‘oh God, everyone’s being so horrible.’”

The irony is amazing. I can't fathom the bubble you'd have to be raised in to accept the concept of microaggressions

Liberals couldn't control speech on the basis of being rude, so they had to come up with an entire new class of offense that people have to be taught exists.
>>
>>43654
>Both wrong. Micro aggresion is passive aggression

Microaggression isn't even aggression.
>>
>>43658
Wait what

"America is a melting pot" and "One race, the human race" are on the microaggression list.

I guess liberals realized proclaiming equality and desiring unity was getting in the way of perpetual oppression.
>>
>"american" is a microaggression

would they rather we all say "United Statian" instead? How about, "United States of Americanite"

that's not a mouthful at all

United States of America --- American

Canada --- Canadian

Mexico --- Mexican

is it really that hard to grasp?
>>
>>43556
>“I’m not gonna lie, when I see somebody who looks like a stereotypical frat brother, I get scared to share certain things.”
Isn't that a microagression against frat brothers?
>>
>>43943
Orwell predicted this decades ago, It's called Newspeak.

Control the language, control the mind.
>>
>>43563
>eventually calling someone autistic will become a slur
>>43583
>>
>>43941
>Not only is unitedstatesian hard to say, but by using it in conversation you would literally lose 10 seconds of your life waiting for people to process what the fuck is wrong with you.

This.
>>
If you look to be offended, you're going to be offended.
>>
>>43546
>I’m not gonna lie; when I see somebody who looks like a stereotypical frat brother
Hey, isn't this a wrong thing to do?
>he identifies as Latinx, queer, socioeconomically disadvantaged, and from Southern California
And I'm done.
>>
>>43974
Can't be microaggressive against frat-privilege.
>>
>>43547
>A black woman described a relationship she had with a white man in which “the barrage of microaggressions began” when he called her “brown sugar” and referred to her as a “shiny token.” The relationship culminated in the man sometimes saying the n-word, “the white race is just superior, but you’re the exception,” and telling her he wanted an all-white America.

Top kek.
>>
>>43936
These kinds of things are subtle but important. You only react to it like that because you don't see how the subtle thing they are pointing out defines the big thing that's wrong with our country.
>>
>>43976
i wonder if Orwell realized he was making an instruction manual. I will learn from his mistakes and save my knowledge for only those who are deserving.
>>
>>43563
the funny thing here is that many autistic people are socially retarded but have a very intuitive and clear understanding of conscious awareness. The reason that happened with retard is because retards weren't aware of this and got offended. Autistic people will take it as a compliment.
>>
Hispanic here.

That "Latinx" bullshit infuriated me, fucking leftist scum.
>>
>>43563
in other words: yes idiots think they can call people autistic but smart people know it's just an insult stupid people use when they are confused. The only time I have ever been called autistic is on 4chan when i'm winning an argument
>>
>>43546
>identifies as [...] socioeconomically disadvantaged
Y-yeah well I identify as an horribly oppressed minority
How exactly do you identify as something like that
>>
>>44699
Not gonna lie that post looks pretty autistic
>>
>>43546
What a bunch of fucking pussies. They need to grow the fuck up.
>>
>>43558
Dsm 5 also labels transgenders as having gender dysophia but no one wants to accept its a disease.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.