[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which city that you visited had the best public transit? Think
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7
File: 7341738084_bddb5617d9.jpg (136 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
7341738084_bddb5617d9.jpg
136 KB, 500x375
Which city that you visited had the best public transit? Think reliability, affordability, aesthetics, number of different types (buses, trams/streetcars, subways), etc.
>>
Berlin, no contest.
>metro goes everywhere, and I mean everywhere, even outside city bounds easily everything is connected, and is cheap as hell (or rather, normal priced but cheap considering the excellent service)
>buses are always on perfect time and there's endless lines
>I've used taxis only twice but as far as I remember they were really fairly priced and FREE for women late at night in the weekend
>car sharing is everywhere

Plus if you actually don't want to use public transport, sidewalks are enormous so walking around is really nice.
>>
>>951075

>FREE for women late at night in the weekend

How the fuck can that be legal if its only for women?
>>
I'd have to go with Zurich. Although it doesn't have a subway, the system is perfectly suited for the city's size.
>1st gen tram
>only 1 line was ever closed and replaced with trolleybus (they are considering converting back to trams tho)
>trams are frequent and always on time
>most important bus lines are trolleybuses
>most tram tracks have been marked as tram lanes and don't run in mixed traffic anymore
>trams and buses have absolute priority, even above pedestrians
>interchanges are well designed to allow easy and quick changes between tram/bus lines and trains
>suburban trains are also frequent as fuck and work as a sort of regional subway (comparable to french RER)
>most trains are locomotive hauled, even many commuter trains.
>ticketing is based almost exclusively on monthly or annual tickets. Other than that you can only get a single ticket, or a day ticket which costs twice as much as a single ticket (as in it replaces the two-way ticket)
I can't find one single flaw.
>>
>>951093
Your reasoning doesn't make logical sense, it doesn't have to be for both sexes to be legal, are tampons illegal?

Anyways, women are in much greater danger from sexual assault at night so it makes sense, stop being a fedora fuck.

Btw I might even remember wrong. Maybe it's just saturday night at certain hours, maybe it's not for women but for all people alone at night under a certain age. I can't find infos on the web so if anyone from Berlin can clarify this, I'd be happy.
>>
>>951097
If you look at the sexes and age groups and hours, men have a crazy high risk of being a pedestrian hit and run fatality between like 1 am and 5 am on Saturday morning.

The reason of course is alcohol consumption, same thing that women are likely to be sexually assaulted at the same hours.

So basically what we are all agreeing to here is that an insufficiently attractive guy sticking his ding-dong in a girl's gash when her judgment is impaired and when she checks facebook after sobering up and realizes he isn't a doctor or 2 meters tall, she retroactively revokes consent, this thing is actually worse than her getting run over by a car and killed.

We all agree this is true, right? Thought so, just wanted to make sure :)
>>
>>951093
Germany doesn't make sense.
>>
>>951094
>I can't find one single flaw.

Here's one: the price.
>>
>>951069
From the systems I've used, it would be NYC.

>24/7 transportation network
>Connectivity within the city and easy accessibility to surrounding region (NJ/Upstate/CT)
>Affordable, considering you can get anywhere in the city for under $3
>Transfers between bus and rail

I live in Maryland and the Baltimore and DC transit networks can't really compete. However, the DC Metro system is far more appealing looking.
>>
File: low grade bait.jpg (55 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
low grade bait.jpg
55 KB, 625x626
>>951132
>hay gais since women are more likely to be victims of sex assault, let's pretend everyone who crosses the road is a male
>>
>>951192
Men, not women, are the ones with the higher risk of pedestrian fatality. Just as women, not men, are the ones with the high risk of ding-dong in hole.

Go jump in front of a bus, idiot.
>>
I made an exact copy of this thread at about the same time on /trv/. Check out the other thread to see their answers: >>/trv/1109968
>>
I made an exact copy of this thread at about the same time on /trv/. Check out the other thread to see their answers: >>>/trv/1110131
>>
Los Angeles is doing better, its goal is to turn into a much larger version of New York by 2020, in a few weeks they will have a train that goes all the way to santa monica. Plus the Gold Line is opening more North East and there is a hint that the counties will be expanding a network.

I wish there was the metro like the old days where it was privatized until the Government decided to monopolize. Tesla was wanting to build a train from Los Angeles to San Francisco
>>
>>951302
Southern Pacific wanted to get rid of Pacific Electric as soon as possible. More cars meant less passengers.
>>
How comes nobody mentioned Karlsruhe?
>>
>>951454
Because there really isn't very much here people would visit desu.
>>
>>951093
Germany is so cucked holy shit
>>
>>951075

>Berlin
>trams not operating for half of the year
>not even 1cm of snow: STOP THE TRAMS AND THE SUBWAY IMMEDIATELY!

Berlin is shit

Dresden has the best public transport in Germany.
>>
>>951335
well the rail system is really impressive, but does it have a good system of complementary lines? Like buses or trams that get the people from stations to their homes? Because without that it's not really effective.
In Europe you might not see such huge urban rail networks (although there are some impressive ones as well), but it's always supported by even better system of bus and tram lines, something not really usual outside Europe.
>>
>>951472
How so? It just has an extensive tram and bus network, or is there any more to it?
>>
>>951499

Who needs a bus when the train drops you off at your cube?
>>
File: Schwebebahn_2[1].jpg (672 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Schwebebahn_2[1].jpg
672 KB, 1600x1200
>>951507
There's a suspension funicular!
>>
>>951512
it must be a damn slow train if it stops like every 300 metres
also in that case the network isn't that extensive at all
>>
>>951093
It is not, I live in Berlin, never heard of that. Even googled it in German, no results. Maybe she sucked the Taxi drivers dick.
>>
>>951513
>>951507
Railways, ferries, another funicular, and the oldest and biggest paddle steamer fleet in the world. So in diversity Dresden wins.
>>
>>951533
Too bad it didn't preserve their Obusse
>>
>>951513
icanfaptothis.png
>>
>>951075
As a German, I can tell, Berlin is shit. In a way, it's partly due to being a divided city for 40 years... interchanges are shit, it's pretty scummy and dirty, overcrowded, and for a major European city, it's operating hours are shit.
>>
>>951142
But for Swiss standards it's very affordable. It is slightly cheaper (even considering the exchange rate) than my local transit system in a large Canadian city.
>>
>>951335
I came.
>>
>>951075
>>951472
>>951520
>>951533
>>952016
As someone who grew up in a small rural town in Germany, and then moved to Leipzig for university, i can say that i am extremely pleased with the tram/bus/train system in Leipzig. At no point during the 4 years i've lived here have i ever had the desire to buy a car (although sometimes i wish i'd bring my bicycle more often because accidents happen due to stupid cagers driving into and hitting the tram)
>>
>>951335
Tokyo's metro is amazing

Expensive as FUCK tho, the most expensive in the world I think
>>
>>951533
I would also say compared with Berlin Dresden wins.
>>
Last year i visited London,
>pros
-old Stations
-great Connection to the Airport
-DLR; really good automatic Subway

>cons
-Expensive as hell for me (60 Euros in one week as fare paid)
-too little distance between Stations, walking is more efficient.
-Buses as slow as hell even on their own lanes.
>>
>>952016
>it's operating hours are shit.
You obviously haven't been to Munich
>>
>>951470
Er wird gepflegt von ganz bestimmten Interessenten.
Es ist eine kleine, wurzellose internationale Klicke, die die Völker gegeneinander hetzt, die nicht will das wir zu Ruhe kommen.
Es sind die Menschen die überall und nirgends zuhause sind, die nirgends einen Boden haben, auf dem sie gewachsen sind.
Sondern die heute in Berlin leben, morgen in Brüssel sein können.
Übermorgen in Paris oder in Prag oder in Wien oder in London.
Und die sich überall zuhause fühlen.
Es sind die einzigen, die wirklich als 'internationale Elemente' anzusprechen sind.
Weil sie überall ihre Geschäfte betätigen können.
Aber das Volk kann ihnen ja nicht nachfolgen, das Volk ist ja gekettet an seinen Boden, ist es gebunden an die Lebensmöglichkeiten seines Staates, der Nation.
>>
>>954612
I have, but Munich is just a big provincial city (whatever locals feel otherwise)... Berlin is a capital city, FFS.

>>954614
>not rolling 88
I think we know who the international element here is
>>
>>954624
>Berlin is a capital city,
So is Munich to bh.
>>
>>951514

It's Japan. They just open the doors while on the move and the tentacles just pick you up or put you down.
>>
>>954629
of Bavaria. A province. Munich is not really that 'international' in its outlook. It is big, but still feels in a lot of ways like a provincial place to me. I am German, btw.
>>
File: AS20160511004294_comm.jpg (113 KB, 640x397) Image search: [Google]
AS20160511004294_comm.jpg
113 KB, 640x397
>>954642
This isn't wrong
>>
>>954718
When it comes to operating hours (that's what this was about right?), there is also a pretty big difference between east ex-DDR and west ex-BRD cities, when even 90k-towns like Gera have 24/7 tram service.
>>
File: image.jpg (126 KB, 924x520) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
126 KB, 924x520
>finally have streetcars again after 50 years
>just two miles of track
JUST FU K MY SHIT UP SENPAI
LITERALLY A TOY TRAIN SET
>>
Singapore
>Double decker public buses
>Metro card goes by distance instead of flat rate
>Metro rail transit is pretty good, and very extensive
>Direct connection to Changi airport
>cheap

The only problem is their strange obsession with photographing anyone who sits in a reserved seat and putting it on Instagram.

Too bad I live in DC, which is going through Metro hell right now.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.