[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (32 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32 KB, 600x337
Thinking of offering this dude $80 for this bike just to have for cruising around. Any opinions/objections? https://macon.craigslist.org/bik/5665746441.html
>>
>>977415
I'd buy it for that price.

You need to do a full overhaul for it, meaning opening and possibly replacing the major bearings, maybe a new rear casette, so expect some extra expenses and work above that. Even so, still reasonable.
>>
>>977418
And when I said rear casette, I meant that the freewheel may be so worn out it is skipping at heavy pedaling or something.

That thing most likely wont have a casette.

Not English native.
>>
>>977418
So you mean like, more than the cost of the bike, DIY cultist-kun

You forgot to mention that if you're not a MGTOW you probably don't have a BB tool, a cassette tool, a chain breaker, a collection of cone wrenches, a pencil magnet, degreaser, shop rags, two different kinds of lubricants, and a shop stand

Oh and enough parts to replace the ones you broke learning how to fix the ones that needed replacement

Or, take it to a reputable bike shop and spend $150 on an overhaul
>>
File: hehehe.jpg (153 KB, 1152x843) Image search: [Google]
hehehe.jpg
153 KB, 1152x843
>>977422
>shop rags
>>
>>977422
I don't have that many special tools, desu.

I do how ever have access to my dad's toolshed, he's a carpenter though. Still, a mallet, a blunt object and some wrenches plus patience has been all I've needed to get into any bottom bracket and rear casette.
>>
>>977425
Oh right I forgot MGTOW uses their cargo shorts to wipe the grease off their hands

Hygiene is a social construct pushed by the feminazis
>>
>>977431
Most people use worn out clothes/ linen for rags, stuff literally everyone has, incompetant babby-kun. I'm sorry you don't have specialty shop rags so you have to take your bike in to the shop for a servant to clean it.
>>
>>977432
Worn out cloths from what? Maybe if you didn't try to ride around on your squeaky, screechy brakeless fixie with blown out sidewalls wearing street clothes, you wouldn't have to cut them up for rags and buy new jeans every 2 weeks.
>>
>>977434
You could use your bedsheets after you piss them for the 100th time.
>>
>>977432
I use a mix of laundry detergent powder and nailbrush to get the grease off my hands.

It's a bit nuclear option (stings like hell if one has cuts in their hands), but I haven't gotten myself around to get a proper pump bottle of that lemon-smelling gel like substance with little granules in it that they use in real machine shops.
>>
>>977439
The proper hand cleaner with little granules is incredible, it works instantly and is much healthier for your hands. You can get it pretty cheaply from autoparts stores.
>>
I use butter and then soap to clean my hands.
>>
>>977418
I figure it needs some work but between my tools and abilities and what I'll have to rely on my local mechanic for I'm hoping to keep it around 100 if I'm lucky.
>>
>>977436
Lmao
>>
>>977422
>MGTOW

Can somebody explain why this term gets thrown around so much in bike threads?
>>
>>978277
pretty sure its just one angry dude who doesn't want to learn to fix his bikes and doesn't want to be criticized for it so he overreacts a lot.
>>
>>978290
Sounds about right.
>>
OP reporting, price dropped to $65 so I'm offering $50
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.