[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It's time for me to buy my first pair of clipless pedals
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5
It's time for me to buy my first pair of clipless pedals and I need your guidance /n/

Can a clipless pedal double as a platform or if I want to wear regular shoes will I have to keep swapping out pedals?
>>
>>975063
It must be strange to be as grossly inept as you
>>
Can information be found on the internet? Is there something that I can search through? Can I just hang back and let everyone do everything for me in life?
>>
You can buy pedals that are clipless on one side and flat on the other. Use >>>/n/bqg next time.
>>
Okay, I posted a reply. Now how do I get back to /n/ main page? Anyone here is listening please help thank you very much. Btw OP I really really like this image.
>>
>>975064
Rudeposter

>>975063
>>975089
As >>975071 said, you can get pedals with one side clipless and one side flat platform. If this is for a commuter/run-around bike then that's fine but if it's for a proper mountain/road bike where you won't be doing “practical” riding I'd recommend just going all the way with a clipless pedal as the clipless-only ones are generally a bit better.

As for background info, this is a really good article about cleat (the insert that goes on the shoe) position: http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bikefit/2011/04/power-to-the-pedal-cleat-position/ A lot to read but poor cleat positioning can make you uncomfortable on long rides. If you want to know about specific pedals, look on any big online bike shop—they will have user reviews on lots of pedals.
>>
File: sh-pd22.jpg (156 KB, 500x480) Image search: [Google]
sh-pd22.jpg
156 KB, 500x480
>>975063
>>
>>975063
Shimano at least makes a version of SPD pedals that have a pseudo-platform so you can do that.
>>
>>975181
Apparently the plastic clip-in platforms are really bad. I think they're only really meant for test rides.

OP, something like this might be worth looking at: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-m424-spd-pedals

Apparently they may have problems if your cleats are very recessed into the shoe but otherwise looks like nice best-of-both-worlds pedals.
>>
File: roundupshoes.jpg (65 KB, 610x343) Image search: [Google]
roundupshoes.jpg
65 KB, 610x343
>>975187
>best of both worlds
aka worst of both worlds

there are hundreds of clipless shoes that are perfectly walkable and blend in with casual or in some cases even business casual clothes

trying to half ass it by putting a bunch of extraneous stuff around a system designed to be used without all that extraneous stuff is just going to make for a terrible user experience

if you absolutely need platforms then just use platforms and forget about retention
>>
>>975187
>really bad
have used them a lot, since I hate combo pedals with passion and these seem the best solution if I occasionally need to ride my spd bike with regular shoes on. don't know what they're actually meant for, yet they sometimes come bundled with some cheaper spd pedals. the only thing I somewhat dislike about them is that they're kinda narrow. still, perfectly usable all in all.

also this
>>975191
>clipless shoes that are perfectly walkable and blend in
>>
>>975063
those are speedplays in that pic

aka the worst clipless pedals of all time
>>
>>975191
You're right, those shoes are certainly the worst of both worlds
>>
File: shoecleat.png (127 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
shoecleat.png
127 KB, 300x200
>>975063
>It's time for me to buy my first pair of clipless pedals and I need your guidance /n/
>Can a clipless pedal double as a platform or if I want to wear regular shoes will I have to keep swapping out pedals?

The permanent and only correct answer to noobie in2 clipless is Shimano Clickr SPDs.

They're combo platform/SPD and they're extra easy to get in and out of and can be adjusted to be harder when you git gud (or wear the cleat down I guess).

The recessed cleats on Shimano CT70 shoes are comfy enough to walk around in all day, literally no problem except for crunching sounds on gravel and concrete. CT40s were better but they're out of stock everywhere now.

You can wear regular shoes on these pedals no problem, just feels a bit weird having the cleat receiver under your foot but it's not a problem. I've worn vibrams on them and it's still fine.
>>
File: shimano-m545-pedal.jpg (42 KB, 430x430) Image search: [Google]
shimano-m545-pedal.jpg
42 KB, 430x430
>>975187
>OP, something like this might be worth looking at: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-m424-spd-pedals
>>975191
>worst of both worlds

I use pic related which is just a metal version of the m424. It's fine, it's not clickr, just SPD so it's a bit more secure/scary/unsafe than Clickr but I like it.

Works fine as platforms and fine as clipless. I've worn both CT70s and CT40s with it, both fine. Also the Shimano touring shoes which are fine too but less comfy for walking around; a bit stiff and they're not mesh so are warmer, the cleat is nicely recessed still, they should be better for winter though.
>>
If you are riding less than an hour at a time clipless is unnecessary. If you want better pedal traction and the benefits of a platform you should invest in some high quality platforms that have pegs and a concave shaped top. You will get pretty good foot retention and you don't need to mess around with multiple pairs of shoes.

Otherwise get some M525s and deal with swapping pedals back in forth.

the combo pedals are just a compromise and not worth it.
>>
>>975687
when I was still racing bmx many riders would use pedals like this with some vans or airwalk clipless shoes, easier to get back on after a crash of if for some reason you had to take a foot off. Then later it was easy to walk around the pits while waiting for your next round.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.