[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Good situational awareness/Good Bike handling skills - No
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8
>Good situational awareness/Good Bike handling skills - No need for a helmet unless you race or group ride.

>ADD/Poor motor skills - Please use a foam hat at all times. Even when youre taking a shit or mowing the lawn.

It's that simple, folks.
>>
>>974663

No amount of situational awareness will help you when you're at a entering a blind intersection and a driver decides to blast by a stop sign or when someone decides to open their doors while you're going 20+ mph. :')
>>
>>974722
Neither will any foam hat.
>>
>>974724
Prove it.
>>
>>974722
>Implying the location from which car doors open is completely unpredictable
That's exactly the type of collision which a modicum of situational awareness can completely obviate.

>>974728
You first.
>>
>>974745
>That's exactly the type of collision which a modicum of situational awareness can completely obviate.

This is actually a great point never taken to consideration by anyone. Like it was impossible to avoid most stupid crashes. The biggest danger out of your control are cars coming from behind.

If you get flattened in an intersection, too bad buddy, you should never assume that cars will see you, because when push comes to shove, in a bike car collision a bike will always lose.

I wear a helmet at all times tho.
>>
>>974747
I think we can agree if you wear a neon yellow safety vest then you don't have to wear a helmet. Otherwise, wear a helmet.
>>
>>974754
You should be wearing full motorcycle safety gear in yellow and orange fluo at all times, including while you sleep. You might fall out of bed and die from a head or spinal injury, after all!
>>
>>974663
why does people wearing helmets trigger you so?
>>
>>974754
No we can't. I think the neon color thing is the most ridiculous thing. It does not protect you an the added visibility it gives you is pathetic in practice.
>>
File: just don't.png (146 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
just don't.png
146 KB, 625x626
>>974663
> yet another helmet shitposting thread

saged and downgoated
>>
>>974783
> the added visibility it gives you is pathetic in practice
What did he meme by this?
>>
>>974774
i think helmetwearing people are more triggered by nonhelmeters
>>
If you'd ever talked to anyone with a head injury, you'd wear a helmet.

A helmet won't stop you from breaking a wrist or whatever, but head impact can make you useless for the rest of your life.
>>
File: Untitled.png (500 KB, 596x458) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
500 KB, 596x458
>>974852
No, I fucking would not.
>>
>>974852
Agreed, come off my mountain bike at the weekend. Smashed my head on a rock, no probs though as I was wearing my helmet. Would rather be with it than without!
>>
ATGATT
>>
>>974755
I really hope you're not serious. Sure in every ride the chances of getting hit our very low, and sure the odd are you'll never need a helmet in your life. But in the rare chance it does you will be so glad that you did. wearing a goofy helmet is much better then having you skull smashed in. Cycling in itself is dangerous, not wearing a helmet is foolish. Try getting a cool looking helmet like a catlike mixino or something
>>
>>974961
> Cycling in itself is dangerous
No, it is not
>>
>>974663
Why do you or anyone else who posts threads like this even care?

If you don't like bike helmets, THEN DON'T WEAR ONE.

If you like bike helmets, THEN WEAR ONE.

In either case: DON'T POST THREADS ABOUT IT ANYMORE, they are pointless!

/thread
>>
>>974836
Drivers aren't any more likely to look up from their iphone and notice you if you're covered in fluoshit. Same goes for having a billion lumen blinky lamp desu
>>
>>974946
>I ride in a high-risk way and the potential harm of an inevitable mishap was mitigated by safety gear
Yeah that's great, but it's not representative of how most people ride.
>>
>>974747
That must be a bitch in the shower
>>
>>974963
It is if you're having fun
>>
File: flanders.jpg (7 KB, 256x197) Image search: [Google]
flanders.jpg
7 KB, 256x197
>>974663
Is the helmet/not helmet thing like the cut/uncut thing at /fit/?
>>
>>975930
You're autistic
>>975930
>>
All these helmet threads must be some sort of bait attempt.
>>
>>974999
Lamps are different, especially in darkness. You can't really compare fluoshit and a photoncannon, because with a cannon, you are actually producing the visibility yourself and don't rely on ther peoples lights like you do with reflectors and such.

Fluoshit<reflectors<photoncannon in terms of visibility.

Of course a lamp won't save you or prevent a car from flattening you in an intersection, but proper lighting is sure as heck much more useful than any bright colors [spoiler]in darkness[/spoiler]
>>
>>974999
couldn't hurt
>>
File: funnyclown.jpg (163 KB, 1101x1499) Image search: [Google]
funnyclown.jpg
163 KB, 1101x1499
>>976038
Why stop there?

Why not wear something like pic related for maximum visibility?
>>
>>976015
Yeah, I didn't mean to say that lamps are useless, but the cunts who have a fucking discotheque blasting light directly into people's eyes aren't really doing themselves much good.
>>
Situational awareness is a constant vigilance thing. It only takes one deep pothole, expansion joint, or blowout at 20 mph to turn you into a vegetable. Why not take precautions?
>>
came to /n/ when it first turned to the transportation board. one of the first posts were about whether or not helmets did anything. glad to see coming back here, 7 or so years later, that you fags are still arguing about it.
>>
>>976171
You could say the same about every other board
>>
>>976175
I've never seen /v/ arguing over bike helmets.
>>
File: laura.jpg (33 KB, 377x400) Image search: [Google]
laura.jpg
33 KB, 377x400
>>976186
You know what I meant
>>
I dont wear my helmet because I can't fit my headphones under it.

Rate
>>
>>976251
get earbuds / 10
>>
File: Bluetooth1.jpg (49 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
Bluetooth1.jpg
49 KB, 300x400
>>976251
>>
>>976165
If you can't avoid serious injury in a 20 m/h crash without any safety equipment, you have no business riding a bicycle.
>>
>>974852
Motorcycle helmets actually protect you and I'd be in agreement, but those featherweight shitty little foam helmets for cyclists are near useless. There have been studies (heck, you don't need studies to prove it, laws of physics are enough) that demonstrate that a bicycle helmet is of absolutely no use past 20km/h.

If anything helmets probably work as a placebo and make cyclists take more risk because they have the illusion of being protected.
>>
>>974663
The way I understand your post,
you wear your helmet every time you don't feel psychophysically 100%.

Correct me if I got that wrong.
>>
>>976580
As if half the fat fucks on this board are going over 20km/h.

I keep seeing this shit on this board, where people talk about these numbers as if they are doing it at any time other than bombing down a hill, but realistically, even if a car hits you, it's not hitting your head at 50 mph.
>>
>>976580
My shitty little faom helmet had a jagged rock the size of a golf ball embedded in the side after a fall i took when i was 16. Broken collar bone and a completely cut open knee cap were my remaining injuries.
>>
>>976580
So clearly the answer is to legislate that all cyclists should wear full helmets, equivalent to motorcyclists.
>>
>>976739
Why just cyclists?
>>
File: 3984309080.jpg (141 KB, 1714x964) Image search: [Google]
3984309080.jpg
141 KB, 1714x964
>>974663
Bad goy

You MUST buy at least 5 helmets. Riding a bicycle is very dangerous. Remember the more expensive, the more magic they contain. 200 shekels should be enough to protect you from a semi running over your head
>>
If you want to be an idiot, why should I stop you?
>>
>>978157
Poorfag detected
>>
>>978157
>Remember the more expensive, the more magic they contain.
If by 'magic' you mean "inexplicably making a piece of sitting on your had more comfortable" then yes, this statement is true.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.